Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make War, not Love

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156620,00.html

I vividly recall "No PDA" rules in school. As I'm sure we've got some students and former students gracing the forums, what does everyone think of this?

I think having rules like this in place reallys sets the institution up for hypocrisy. For instance, there's a no hugging rule in effect at Mike's school. Mike's mother dies. His friends show their support by hugging him. The school does nothing to punish them, because in this instance the affection wasn't sexually related. But the school's rules don't say "No Public displays of sexual affection" the rules state, more generally, "No Public displays of affection". I think to successfully implement these rules, the school's need to be more specific. Personally, I think my emotional growth was stifled by the school's not allowing students to show each other that they cared about each other. It's not like by having my arm around someone I'm saying I want to have sex with them.

Opinions?

Yeah I have to say that these rules are flawed to say the least. Its like telling kids that drugs and alcohol are bad for them and they should never use them. But then Mom and Pop are having a good time and guess what there doing???? It was also absurd the statutory rape thing, with any 18 year old senior boy cannot date and have consensual sex, without susipicion in some cases, a girl that isnt atleast of the same age. Its Murphys Law, tell kids not to do something and they will do it, just to see what happens or what its like. Expierence is the foundation of a young persons growing knowledge of the world around him. Thats just my opinion though.
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

At my 9-year-old brother's school the kids have been told to massage each other; or if they refuse, they are forced to watch.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

hormiga's Avatar Senator

When you become an adult it becomes increasingly annoying and bothersome to see young kids kissing and hanging all over each other in public. It is a school, show some respect and learn to act civilized in public. End of story.

I love how everyone turns in to a trail lawyer and starts examining the wording of the rules when you know damn well the reason for the rules and why they are in place. Your "emotional growth" will get over not being able to hug Mary Jane Rottencrotch in between 4 and 5 period classes. You are in school to learn not score with chicks.

Learning how to obey rules (unspoken or even poorly worded ones) is part of growing up. Deal with it.

A Sensual Massage as Austin Powers might say, as he checks off the Asian Twins off his checklist of things to do before I die.... Sorry couldnt resist.

Maybe doing this with children will help break down barriers, allowing them to see that caring about your fellow classmates is not wrong but actually a good thing. Maybe even manifesting into General concern for Human beings everywhere, as they grow older.

Or on the flip side, we could just have a lot of pre-teens and teens having babies. DOH we already got that. As Ive stated before, and will state again, the general decay of American society begins and ends in the home. (Some, to more then you think)Parents just dont give a $hit about there kids, what they are doing or who they are doing it to as long as it doesnt bother what said parent has got going on. Again just my opinion.

Edit: I kinda agree with Hormiga, But have to add that some rules are so bad, or poorly worded that they should not be followed. (In schools I mean, and in regards to mary j)
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Why stop at hugging? Looking at the opposite or same sex in a "meaningful way" should be penalised too. Don't you find it disgusting when in these temples of knowledge people are
    looking (yes I've seen it myself) at eachother. I mean you are in this place the holiest of holies, completely isolated from the filth of the society around you, and you have to tolerate
    displays of affection?!.
    Affection should be also banned but for the love of god, let teenagers to have the right to bear arms, because probably they will feel the need to take potshots at people behaving inappropriately, and failure to do so will hamper their emotional growth.
    More guns, less hugs. For a healthy World!

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Garbarsardar@May 16 2005, 12:02 PM
    Why stop at hugging? Looking at the opposite or same sex in a "meaningful way" should be penalised too. Don't you find it disgusting when in these temples of knowledge people are
    looking (yes I've seen it myself) at eachother. I mean you are in this place the holiest of holies, completely isolated from the filth of the society around you, and you have to tolerate
    displays of affection?!.
    Affection should be also banned but for the love of god, let teenagers to have the right to bear arms, because probably they will feel the need to take potshots at people behaving inappropriately, and failure to do so will hamper their emotional growth.
    More guns, less hugs. For a healthy World!
    Oh stop being a drama queen.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

What a stupid rule :rolleyes
    Two people showing love for each other should be encourage not banned.

How about just plain "no having sex in school."

Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

as long as they dont start going into heavy petting i really couldnt give a crap i say fair play to them

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by TB666@May 16 2005, 09:42 AM
    What....they cant wait until after school? :rolleyes

Hormiga said it all already.

When you become an adult it becomes increasingly annoying and bothersome to see young kids kissing and hanging all over each other in public. It is a school, show some respect and learn to act civilized in public. End of story.

I love how everyone turns in to a trail lawyer and starts examining the wording of the rules when you know damn well the reason for the rules and why they are in place. Your "emotional growth" will get over not being able to hug Mary Jane Rottencrotch in between 4 and 5 period classes. You are in school to learn not score with chicks.

Learning how to obey rules (unspoken or even poorly worded ones) is part of growing up. Deal with it.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Originally posted by MadBurgerMaker+May 16 2005, 06:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (MadBurgerMaker @ May 16 2005, 06:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TB666@May 16 2005, 09:42 AM
    What....they cant wait until after school? :rolleyes
    [/b][/quote]
    No, they couldn&#39;t.
    She was going to gym class and he for lunch so it was a goodbye hug.

Originally posted by TB666@May 16 2005, 09:52 AM
    No, they couldn&#39;t.
    Youve got to be kidding me.

Not hanging all over your high school girlfriend for the ten minutes between classes will not cause you to fall apart and die. I promise.

I mean...I know having one of you going to gym class, while the other is all the way over there at lunch is a terribly difficult thing to deal with, but Im confident todays high school students can handle this adversity.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

LoL yeah, we have that in our school. Not that its enforced. And (at the moment lol) this doesnt affect me. I&#39;m there for my A-Levels, and if I happen to score along the way, thats good and I will take my time to "stick it to the man". Apparently according to that personality test some one put up I&#39;m meant to say that alot...........
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Children are people too Hormiga, you can&#39;t expect them to just suspend life until they&#39;re out of school. Learning what rules not to obey is another important part of life(trying not to sound like a hippy&#33, just because an &#39;adult&#39; makes rules, doesn&#39;t mean that they&#39;re always right, you should always question what you&#39;re given, and a rule against hugging in schools? ... It&#39;s stupid, on so many levels it&#39;s not worth talking about it&#33;

I was at an all boys school since I was 10, and compared to people in mixed schools I was alot less developed and alot less ready for the world when I left it. Schools are supposed to prepare kids to live in the world, stopping students hugging really doesn&#39;t help to do anything like that, because you wont ever find a situation like that outside in the world&#33; Learning isn&#39;t all from books, and anyone who thinks it is (and anyone who thinks the opposite as well&#33 is missing half the point of being human&#33;

Only in america can parents own guns, and children can&#39;t hug&#33;

*edit* Burger... Whats wrong with hugging a boyfriend? You don&#39;t see anything right about it, fair enough, but why does that mean it should be banned?&#33;

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Personally, it disturbs me when I see homos kissing on TV, but that&#39;s just me (and a whole bunch of others). The thing is, I think it is pretty stupid to forbid this stuff. Why not just have all boys and all girls schools instead? Besides, we all know what chicks think about taboos...oh yes.

You are in school to learn not score with chicks
    But then again, school is perhaps the most important social environment for children and young adults. I think they should be allowed to go through the &#39;normal&#39; socialization process. In the end though, I really don&#39;t care about the &#39;moral issues&#39; behind this, for one side or the other, but I think its stupid. What is the reasoning behind it?

P.S. I loved doing my gf in my school toilet at the age of 15.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

When you become an adult it becomes increasingly annoying and bothersome to see young kids kissing and hanging all over each other in public.
    Even if that was true and applied to everybody (which is not), what is "annoying" and "bothersome" should be penalised?

It is a school, show some respect and learn to act civilized in public.
    that must be a very idiosyncratic view of civilization, when hugging brings the end of it.

BTW, Hormiga, please refrain from personal chracterisations. Let&#39;s keep it "civilised".

Originally posted by MadBurgerMaker+May 16 2005, 06:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (MadBurgerMaker @ May 16 2005, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TB666@May 16 2005, 09:52 AM
    No, they couldn&#39;t.
    Youve got to be kidding me.

Not hanging all over your high school girlfriend for the ten minutes between classes will not cause you to fall apart and die. I promise.

I mean...I know having one of you going to gym class, while the other is all the way over there at lunch is a terribly difficult thing to deal with, but Im confident todays high school students can handle this adversity. [/b][/quote]
    No, I&#39;m not kidding.
    Sure, they could have waited if they wanted too but they should still be able to hug or kiss each other in public if they want to.
    They did a beautiful and sweet thing to each other and they are getting punished for it.

*edit* Burger... Whats wrong with hugging a boyfriend? You don&#39;t see anything right about it, fair enough, but why does that mean it should be banned?&#33;
    :lol

Nothings wrong with it at all, I just never saw the need to be climbing all over someone for 3 minutes inbetween classes. You can wait until after school. You really can. The world wont end, and your social growth wont be stunted if you do. If girlfriend/boyfriend breaks up with you because she cant see you for those three minutes...uh...oh well.

Please. Theyre in school. They have a job to do. Its not like once they get out of school and have a job in some office somewhere, theyre going to be able to do that at work, so dont try to act like this rule is something that is keeping kids from learning what the &#39;real world&#39; is like. :rolleyes
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Bah.

Whatever. Really. Some people want to regulate everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast