Page 30 of 294 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839405580130 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshots

Default Re: Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    In all fairness though, who said red is banned in Lindon?
    Red is the color of Haradrim already. Also Rhun use red and Mordor use red and black. Red simply doesn't fit Elves. But if you don't care about the lore, maybe it's fine for you.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Finnduil View Post
    Red is the color of Haradrim already. Also Rhun use red and Mordor use red and black. Red simply doesn't fit Elves. But if you don't care about the lore, maybe it's fine for you.
    Actually, I'm very much in favour of the lore, always have been since this mod was announced.

Red simply doesn't fit the Elves is not lore, thats your opinion and one thats based on nothing.

Red is just a colour, it means nothing. If you want I could explain my point through your example. Mordor use black, and all the evil factions are associated with darkness and yet Gondor uses black all the time. Black flags, black tunics, black stone used to built Orthanc, The Stone of Erech was black and yet Gondor was Mordor's mortal enemy

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I'd say Tolkien cared a little about the lore when he invented the world of Middle-earth, just a little though.

In all fairness though, who said red is banned in Lindon?
    He started creating Middle-Earth when he wrote the hobbit , and i don't think he had ambitions back then to make a new world , that was so detailed , that some people actually studied it.

Seriously, lore is nice, like historical accuracy. But too much of either one of them screws up the game, and makes people give crappy comments like Finnduil's

Maca's Avatar Decanus

I like the red colour, it looks good. As long as the colour looks nice on units, I am not usually bothered about it, even if it doesn't match faction colours.

Here's a couple from my Gondor Units Overhaul sub-sub-mod

Taking down some Haradrim Invaders in my lands (chasing them away from Osgiliath)

In that day Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, coming from the halls of Mandos; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Húrin and all Men be avenged.

Please refrain from lore discussions here.

Nice Screens!. They have sort of a cartoonish look though...no offense meant, i think it looks kinda interesting. Is it part of the mod or a certain change in the vanilla graphic settings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I redid the models and added a normal map. How do you mean cartoonish? Is it because the capes are too black, or the armor too shiny?

It could just be that I took the pictures on a sunny day and from the angle that the sun was facing.

More Screenshots, after all, it is a screenshot thread:

This one shows the Gondor Infantry both with and without the armor upgrade, along with some Citadel Guard (their helmets are shinier, to represent that they are made from Mithril)

In that day Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, coming from the halls of Mandos; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Húrin and all Men be avenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar87 View Post
    I redid the models and added a normal map. How do you mean cartoonish?
    "Cartoonish" is probably the wrong word. They look great but the whole armour is too shiny/bright and plain (in regard to colour) imo. It makes it look as if it was made from plastic.

There are some nice details on it but it's difficult to see them due to brightness/monotone colour. I think it needs some shading or something to bring out the textures and details (like the wings on the helmets) and make the armour look more realistic and not so "polished/waxed". It's difficult to explain but it's just an observation.

I guess it's because of all the colours and armours looking a bit too clean & shiny.

However, you've only changed Gondor? I get the same cartoonish expression with the Haradrim Units, but maybe it's just me
    All settings on high?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my sample chunk of texture. I really tried to make it look more shaded and such, but I guess my plan was to have the lighting system and normal maps take care of the surface detail. It's always in progress and I am always open to suggestion. I'll play with the reflection values and texture definition more and see what it looks like.

All settings on as high as I could get them, gotta make my 8800Ultra work for its electrons!

Are custom shaders of any type supported? I would very much rather have a specular channel than a reflective channel as the alpha on the normal map. Although, it would also be useful to somehow blur the cubemap that gets used, to make it seem as if the armor isn't quite so polished.
    Last edited by Turambar87; October 11, 2009 at 05:34 PM.

Yeah, it looks much better in the render.

Wow love those gondor soilders, brilliant! +rep.

Groovy

Quote Originally Posted by Finnduil View Post
    Sorry, Jean. Just have to ask this - the answer can be PMed to me - but where does it state that Lindor Elves wear Blue? Hell, I'm in the Marines, and I wear Green.

I don't want there to be "crappy comments" flying all around. After all, we're on other sides of the world, and have never met each other. All comments are taken seriously. I respect other peoples ideas. And I'll hear what they have to say. But blow me if I'll take something that's 2-3 people's personal opinions seriously. I've chosen as royal a colour as possible. Silver is the exact anti-thesis of the fire, blood, money, and darkness that is the recurrent theme, and when these units are based on the descendants of the First Kin Slaying, doesn't it make sense?

Thanks for listening, I'll be happy to answer any more questions in the DAC thread, PM, Visitor Messages, or the DaC forum itself.

As for the Gondorians - they're amazing. I like the "shining knight" look of them. However, a few things that could be done to make them more standouty -
    1 - A Grey/Cream/White Square trim around the hems of the black cloth
    2 - Impurities in the metal - scratches, blotchy faint oil stains (from cleaning)
    3 - Scratches on the black of the shield.
    4 - Wooden Backs
    5 - Rivets (and more of that gorgeous normal mapping please) =)

Also, the golden sword handles look a little bland - either its the specularity, or the angle, but it's just plain. I think silver, with a slight vine texture would look amazing. Also - the blades - I think putting in a fuller down the center of the blade will add more realism - against more secy normal mapping

CHARGE!!!

Upgraded infantry and spearmen have shoulder armor, leather covered shields, and the tree on their shield has leaves.
    No visual representation of upgrade for Citadel Guard and Fountain Guard.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

The riders are riding on the green meadows of Rohan at sunrise.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    If this photo inspired you to play as Rohan, my work is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rider. ..png  
    Last edited by Finlander; October 15, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Everyone using regular TATW 1.2 can download now and get my fixed up, less plastic units.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2XHCOCFN

the more you nitpick, the better the next release will be

nitpicking goes here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300947

Just saw KK's new units. I got some work to do.
    Last edited by Turambar87; October 18, 2009 at 03:42 PM.

closing the gap a bit

What I gotta do now is make my metal texture better and tweak the hair a little more.
    Last edited by Turambar87; October 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Here's a good comparison.