Thread: Screenshots

Default Re: Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Silvan Elves need live targets for practicing their skills, so that`s why they took OotMM under their PROTECTION

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

@ Maltacus

great battles, very very interesting to see them, + rep

why don't you poste them directly as AARs? It makes much more easy to access them, as this post is so huge.

Ciao

Flinn

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

I got into a siege against the Wild men to the south playing as Eriador. I had no troops to spare because the orcs got me busy up north so i decided to let the town down south fall while doing as much damage to the enemy as possible.
    I used 1 light troop to sally out and attack the ram guys, then left to attack the ladder guys and the siege tower. It turned into chaos but they managed to break the gates by retaking the ram and they got through but I stalled them at the walls which they took slowly but taking alot of casualties because of tower arrows. The interesting part is that by the end only had 1 remaining axe guyXD

So I thought battle lost...just pressed the guy to attack the guys in the town plaza, and the guys being exhausted and attacked in the rear just routed

Im not sure i posted the images ._.

So il post the direct links, I don't use forums at all.

http://postimage.org/image/9f0bk00zb/
    http://postimage.org/image/igvu0uho5/

haha, nice. btw what is that man behind bars in the bottom right corner? never noticed him before.

Artifex

@ElvenKind, Radzeer and Flinn:
    Thanks!

Philosophical Question: If a warg bites off the head in the middle of a battle ond nobody hears anything(because of the battle drowning the sound), does it still growl? Also, what a shame the Rohan banner carrier had not been hit previously and become bloody.

@Flinn
    I could gather them into some sort of collection I guess. I suppose I just didn't think they had story enough to be considered AAR:s.

@Marius Marich
    Hehe, nice. I always laugh at that name, since "Hundar" means "dogs" in Swedish.

Dwarf Ambush:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

”The goblins are upon us! Run!”

“But wait just a moment and send a volley at them before we continue to run franticly."

“Did anyone forget to tell you that goblins are faster than us, captain Fili?!”
    “Shut up and keep moving!”

”Into the forest! There we can hide from them!”
    “Do you think me an elf or something!?”
    “No, elves have bigger beards…”
    “THAT does it! Come back so I can give YOUR beard a trim! With my axe! At shoulder height, I think!”
    “I was only joking, relax.”
    “Relax? We’re being hunted by nearly two thousand goblins and you tell me to relax?”

“I meant focus your breath on running instead! I was just making a light-hearted pre-battle speech back there to lift spirits.”
    “It would have been better if it could lift bodies. My legs feel like overly boiled hobbit vegetables.”

“Bah, stop complaining. We’re almost there. Aaah, home sweet line!”

“Easy for you to say. You won’t have to shoot for the rest of the battle, just stand at our left looking pompous.”

“Pompous? Me? I don’t know what you’re talking about. Now form up next to the other archers and shoot! The homeland needs you, brave fellow countrymen, so hold the line with thy last breath and we shall surely prevail and cleave in twain the mischievous mongrels that plague the fair lowlands…”
    “See? That’s what I was talking about! Besides, if we hold out with our last breath we will be dead and wont have prevailed at all. Furthermore, what part of archery and axe throwing is it you don’t understand? Cleave in twain…with this little arrow tip?”

“Shut up! I’m great and they’re not! Ready! Aim! Fire!
    “No, we do NOT use fire arrows, you captain clot!”

“I am a servant of the Ered Luin, wielder of the axe of Fili! The rusted mail with not avail you, stinking goblin!”

“Why is he giggling manically and pointing?” What’s that smell? Aaaah! Ballistae!”

“Right, men! Archers, forward!”
    “You mean downward?”
    “Haha.”
    “Sigh, just after we ran UP this endless slope.”
    “You can always roll on the ground if it suits you better. Now move on! Are you a man or an elf?”
    “How dare you?!”

“This goblin rabble shall not stop me! Hmm, where is my unit? Perhaps I shouldn’t have ran through that goblin infantry company.”

“Look! There.s the ballistae! But where are the axe throwers?”
    “Perhaps somewhere in the direction you sent them, captain? At a distance found by multiplying their velocity by the time they have been gone?”

“There they are! At least there is a great dust cloud coming from the left. It is not a flawless dust cloud or the most devastating dust cloud, but it is OUR dust cloud!”

“Ha! We have them now!”
    “No, the axe throwers have them. We arrived to late do anything else than shoot at scattered routers.”

“Is that not meaningful, you say!? Shoot! Don’t let them come back with mysteriously reconstructed siege weapons in the next battle, and the next, and the next no matter how many times we chase them away in no matter how short time!”
    “Really inspirational. I feel SO much more motivated for a long campaign against the enemy now.”

“Hahahaa! Victory! Elves and men will look upon this victory and claim us mighty warriors!”
    “Elves and men will look upon this victory and claim us wannabe elves. Forest ambush…isn’t that against our ethics?”
    “It’s worth it. Would you rather have fought the goblin force properly spread out and enveloping our flanks? Now they all got into each others way and became totally exhausted from the climb.”
    “Yes. I know. It may have escaped your attention but I was present for the whole battle.
    “No, I could not possibly fail to notice your ever-present bickering, however dear such a character trait would be to me.”

“Yo, listen up here’s a story
    About a little blue dwarf that lives on a blue hill
    All day and all night and everything he sees
    Is just blue like him, goblins and hobbits
    Blue, he’s captain with a blue little mantle
    And a blue dwarf axe
    And everything is blue for him and hisself
    And every goblin around
    Cause he ain’t got no shortbow to shoot them with

He’s blue da ba deed a ba die…”

“What is this!? Shut up!”

“He has a blue house with a blue window
    Blue is the colour of all that he wears
    Blue are the mines and all the pines are blue
    He flies a banner, and it is so blue
    Blue are the captains here that walk around
    Blue like our corvette, it’s anchored outside
    The mighty Ered Luin, and we’ll see
    A little sea raid, but when will it be?

“Bringing up such cacophonic terrors of the past! I will have you court martialed!”

The battle went fairly well I think. Finding that ballista was a pain because for once I did not cheat and zoom out but kept the generals camera centred on the...well...general (the minimap was zoomed in during the actual battle). Damn trees! I sent the axe throwers probably 90 degrees to far to the left and then I had to order them around blindly so they would not be hit by the ballista until Fili could get within sight. Unfortunately I was careless and missed that only one of the two goblin companies on his right routed, so he got caught up in the other and had unneccesary losses.

One unlucky rebel garrison sallying out:

My most succesful sally ever with regards to how sly tactics I employed:

Ha! Stupis trolls! That will teach you to chase after my merchant cavalry of Belegost into the guardians of the very same! Except that you are now ex-trolls and trolling no more. After much persuasion I managed to convince the wargs and a quarter of the infantry to come inside and see what had happened to the cave trolls but the rest of their army remained outside. Luckily, they had sieged coming directly from the east which means they get a geat hole on their side, into which they retreated to form up.
    Last edited by Maltacus; December 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

This mod is awesome.

@Maltacus
    You should do AARs

Catapults + Moria =

http://postimage.org/image/ho23y3ylx/

@Coldfire88

That's the number of prisoners you caught.

@Maltacus

I'm gonna read your AARs
    Last edited by Emperor of Hell; December 19, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: triple post

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Wow lots of posts right after eachother! Quickly post on lots of other threads to get 25 posts, so you can edit your posts instead of spamming them.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

I hate these guys ahah

Im guessing the villagers are the dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Thanks!

Philosophical Question: If a warg bites off the head in the middle of a battle ond nobody hears anything(because of the battle drowning the sound), does it still growl? Also, what a shame the Rohan banner carrier had not been hit previously and become bloody.

@Flinn
    I could gather them into some sort of collection I guess. I suppose I just didn't think they had story enough to be considered AAR:s.

@Marius Marich
    Hehe, nice. I always laugh at that name, since "Hundar" means "dogs" in Swedish.

Dwarf Ambush:

”The goblins are upon us! Run!”

“But wait just a moment and send a volley at them before we continue to run franticly."

“Did anyone forget to tell you that goblins are faster than us, captain Fili?!”
    “Shut up and keep moving!”

”Into the forest! There we can hide from them!”
    “Do you think me an elf or something!?”
    “No, elves have bigger beards…”
    “THAT does it! Come back so I can give YOUR beard a trim! With my axe! At shoulder height, I think!”
    “I was only joking, relax.”
    “Relax? We’re being hunted by nearly two thousand goblins and you tell me to relax?”

“I meant focus your breath on running instead! I was just making a light-hearted pre-battle speech back there to lift spirits.”
    “It would have been better if it could lift bodies. My legs feel like overly boiled hobbit vegetables.”

“Bah, stop complaining. We’re almost there. Aaah, home sweet line!”

“Easy for you to say. You won’t have to shoot for the rest of the battle, just stand at our left looking pompous.”

“Pompous? Me? I don’t know what you’re talking about. Now form up next to the other archers and shoot! The homeland needs you, brave fellow countrymen, so hold the line with thy last breath and we shall surely prevail and cleave in twain the mischievous mongrels that plague the fair lowlands…”
    “See? That’s what I was talking about! Besides, if we hold out with our last breath we will be dead and wont have prevailed at all. Furthermore, what part of archery and axe throwing is it you don’t understand? Cleave in twain…with this little arrow tip?”

“Shut up! I’m great and they’re not! Ready! Aim! Fire!
    “No, we do NOT use fire arrows, you captain clot!”

“I am a servant of the Ered Luin, wielder of the axe of Fili! The rusted mail with not avail you, stinking goblin!”

“Why is he giggling manically and pointing?” What’s that smell? Aaaah! Ballistae!”

“Right, men! Archers, forward!”
    “You mean downward?”
    “Haha.”
    “Sigh, just after we ran UP this endless slope.”
    “You can always roll on the ground if it suits you better. Now move on! Are you a man or an elf?”
    “How dare you?!”

“This goblin rabble shall not stop me! Hmm, where is my unit? Perhaps I shouldn’t have ran through that goblin infantry company.”

“Look! There.s the ballistae! But where are the axe throwers?”
    “Perhaps somewhere in the direction you sent them, captain? At a distance found by multiplying their velocity by the time they have been gone?”

“There they are! At least there is a great dust cloud coming from the left. It is not a flawless dust cloud or the most devastating dust cloud, but it is OUR dust cloud!”

“Ha! We have them now!”
    “No, the axe throwers have them. We arrived to late do anything else than shoot at scattered routers.”

“Is that not meaningful, you say!? Shoot! Don’t let them come back with mysteriously reconstructed siege weapons in the next battle, and the next, and the next no matter how many times we chase them away in no matter how short time!”
    “Really inspirational. I feel SO much more motivated for a long campaign against the enemy now.”

“Hahahaa! Victory! Elves and men will look upon this victory and claim us mighty warriors!”
    “Elves and men will look upon this victory and claim us wannabe elves. Forest ambush…isn’t that against our ethics?”
    “It’s worth it. Would you rather have fought the goblin force properly spread out and enveloping our flanks? Now they all got into each others way and became totally exhausted from the climb.”
    “Yes. I know. It may have escaped your attention but I was present for the whole battle.
    “No, I could not possibly fail to notice your ever-present bickering, however dear such a character trait would be to me.”

“Yo, listen up here’s a story
    About a little blue dwarf that lives on a blue hill
    All day and all night and everything he sees
    Is just blue like him, goblins and hobbits
    Blue, he’s captain with a blue little mantle
    And a blue dwarf axe
    And everything is blue for him and hisself
    And every goblin around
    Cause he ain’t got no shortbow to shoot them with

“What is this!? Shut up!”

“He has a blue house with a blue window
    Blue is the colour of all that he wears
    Blue are the mines and all the pines are blue
    He flies a banner, and it is so blue
    Blue are the captains here that walk around
    Blue like our corvette, it’s anchored outside
    The mighty Ered Luin, and we’ll see
    A little sea raid, but when will it be?

“Bringing up such cacophonic terrors of the past! I will have you court martialed!”

The battle went fairly well I think. Finding that ballista was a pain because for once I did not cheat and zoom out but kept the generals camera centred on the...well...general (the minimap was zoomed in during the actual battle). Damn trees! I sent the axe throwers probably 90 degrees to far to the left and then I had to order them around blindly so they would not be hit by the ballista until Fili could get within sight. Unfortunately I was careless and missed that only one of the two goblin companies on his right routed, so he got caught up in the other and had unneccesary losses.

One unlucky rebel garrison sallying out:

My most succesful sally ever with regards to how sly tactics I employed:

Ha! Stupis trolls! That will teach you to chase after my merchant cavalry of Belegost into the guardians of the very same! Except that you are now ex-trolls and trolling no more. After much persuasion I managed to convince the wargs and a quarter of the infantry to come inside and see what had happened to the cave trolls but the rest of their army remained outside. Luckily, they had sieged coming directly from the east which means they get a geat hole on their side, into which they retreated to form up.
    Fantastic post. More please !

Artifex

Siege defence:

Fror the christmas-looking governor of Fornost, captured from invading orcs, has a busy day. A vast host from Gundabad storm the walls and among it march growling wargs and a company of grunting snow trolls. He has a garrison consisting of only one company of the useful defensive halberdiers, two of axe throwers, one of archers and three of offensive dual wielding infantry. Deploying his little army around the inner gate Fror has to fight off a tiresome tirade of foolishness from less experienced dwarfs.

“We should deploy right behind the gate with many men to block the enemy”

“Post melee fighters on the walls where the enemy ladders will come to meet them head on”

“Our units should not have guard mode activated because I have heard that it makes them fight less effectively”

Sigh. Why did I hire those morons? No, no, no. Deploying right next to the gate never works unless you perhaps have a huge army of pikemen in which case it is doubtful that any enemy would feel secure enough to attack in the first place. The enemy must be given open space in some direction to spread out so they do not concentrate their whole mass on your defending units. If you place infantry right behind the gate the enemy unit will expand right after squeezing through the narrow portal and that will force many more enemy soldiers to be pressed against your front than if the enemy is allowed to spread out – something leading to greater intensity in that fight – which is exactly what you do NOT want as the defender.

Meeting attackers head on at the walls is equally unnecessary and detrimental. The point of the defending infantry is to block the enemy from going to the square and around your soldiers, not to slay as many enemies as possible. The ideal situation is where as many enemies are tied up with as few friendly units as possible. Indeed, why hold this short wall at all except with the units it takes to activate the towers and gatehouse (more precisely, one unit)? There are no wide areas where archers can be posted for great effect and really not any ground worth defending.

Lastly, guard mode may make your units fight slightly less effective but the holding infantry that will engage the enemy first is not supposed to fight, it is supposed to hold. Both hold the enemy back and, equally important, hold their positions. Thus, guard mode, in order to minimize the chance of them being lured out by engaging some random enemy infantry unit.

No, here is how we will form up instead, Fror states with a determined glance at named nameless lard-brain:

The best defenders are without any doubt the halberdiers. They have the most mass, the spear wall formation which gives them stability, and good armour. The will stand behind the gate but at an angle, anchored on the wall to the right of the entrance to the stairs. They can thereby block both attackers going through the gate as well as those climbing down from the wall. Behind them is the light infantry with their dual weapons, acting as a reserve where needed. Axe throwers and archers stand directly behind the gate, ready to shoot into the open end of the halberd line. The rest of the axe throwers hold the other wall where it is wide enough for them to relocate if enemies storm it. The enemy will be hooked up by the halberdiers but spread out to the left of the gate where there is open space. From there the archers will fire point blank into their massed ranks.

The orcs begin by sending heavy infantry with ladders against the right wall. They easily claim the undefended section and proceed down while the rest of the orcs wait for battering rams. The axe throwers have tried to hit the trolls from the walls, some have succeeded.

When the orc infantry pour down and out they face the solid halberdier line. The orcs, with shields and one-hand weapons, have not nearly enough mass to push deep into the halberd formation. Nor are the halberdiers close enough to the stairs to give the orcs any advantage from spreading out quickly. The thick layer of heavily armoured corpses to the right of the gate is the result.

The wargs spearhead the Gundabad army and their mass is great enough to push even the halberdiers back when backed by such masses of infantry. Fror sends the axe throwers to link up with the halberdiers, now reinforced by light infantry, to keep advancing enemy elements contained. The archers are firing from the end of that corridor, scoring many hits among the unprotected wargs and the massed infantry. Among the holding dwarf infantry, about a third of the soldiers are engaging the enemy. Among the orcs, hardly more than one out of ten is in position to swing at the dwarfs.

Even the snow trolls can not push through that choking mass without trouble. Half their company is caught up among their lesser colleagues and do not reach the dwarf line until much time has passed, during which the dwarf light infantry have been able to handle the first trolls much more easily. The orcs also send much heavy infantry to claim the left wall from the axe throwers.

The constant fighting is starting to take its toll on the dwarf light infantry and halberdiers. Fror feeds more and more of his reserves into the melee while the orcs follow their trolls and push the dwarfs further and further back. They waver since their captain has had an accident with a dwarf halberd on his warg, but press on.

When the trolls at last fall, the spirit goes out of the main orc force. Without their capatain and the resilience and stubbornness of the dwarfs, they break and flee.

The heavy infantry on the wall remain, locked in a battle with the lone dwarf company. What an ineffective use of two heavy infantry companies… Only six dwarfs are engaged at a time. The orcs can’t have hoped to break through here anytime soon.

The battle is a clear victory for the dwarfs but the garrison suffer heavy casualties, from the trolls of course. The high amount of light offensive infantry is obviously not optimal for siege defence.

The entire formation at the gate is made to give missile troops time to shoot properly followed by a counter attack from reserve infantry. The dwarf archers do well, as should be expected. The halberdiers are hit the hardest but still make it out with fewer casualties than the light infantry which lack the protection of the spear wall formation and also face the trolls head on. The only clear failure of Fror is his overly careful use of his own bodyguard, whose thick armour could have been much more useful, and used.

Last edited by Maltacus; December 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

So I just had my first fight in Moria against the Balrog(s) and it was pretty intense

A few screens of the massacre:

As you can see a lot of good Elves lost their lives in the caverns

I literally shot like a million arrows at them but not a single one of them died so I got a little pissed and sent all my archers in for a suicide run. Well it turned out even if 10 Balrogs were standing in the middle of the town center I was still able to capture it, and kill one of the bastards in the process

I know I should've waited for them to sally forth but I was too excited to do that

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    So I just had my first fight in Moria against the Balrog(s) and it was pretty intense

Prince Legolas the Prophet? Never saw that one

Will he start a new religion and be martyred by the Goblins?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
    Prince Legolas the Prophet? Never saw that one

Will he start a new religion and be martyred by the Goblins?
    Don't know how that happened I guess clearing Mirkwood of orc filth gets you a nice title like that

Gondor Archers in Osgiliath

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Thanks!

@Flinn
    my pleasure, your way of reporting things is easy to understand and funny at the same time

anyway, regarding AARs, we have had a small discussion about this point here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=558572 - you can also find links to other interesting posts regarding this matter on the same thread.

Anyway, IMO you should post them there, at least they will be much more accessible to people and I'm convinced they will be in their right place

Ciao

Flinn

A preview of what's comming

Dol amroth (Gondor) vs Harad

The armies

Archers

The battle begins

The end

Bonus track: Genius Nazgul

All this new units are from Taro_M Gondor New Units Resource, you can find this mod here
    Last edited by Benox; January 07, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do...

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Those units are truly epic
    And the Nazgul: you right genius is the word