Thread: Method to have Galadriel and Celeborn both as generals?

Default Method to have Galadriel and Celeborn both as generals?

Inspired by seeing the wonderful Galadriel battle map model from DCI:Last Alliance, I wondered how it might be possible to have both her and Celeborn playable yet still with a family tree which works. I haven't seen this done in Vanilla Third Age, MOS or DaC, and I was wondering if this is possible to do using the following method?

Have the family tree set up as normal. Celeborn starts with a wife, Galadriel, and whatever heirs you wish to have. I seem to recall Haldir is usually set as the heir - he's not their son but they haven't had hereditary succession since Amroth I don't believe so this is fine. You could also have no adult heirs, and instead have Celeborn and Galadriel have an infant son who starts as heir, much like how Northern Dunedain in DaC have Aragorn's 1 year old son with Arwen start as the heir.

Here's the tricksey bit. Galadriel needs to be an independant general on the campaign map so she can move around by herself without being an ancillary to Celeborn. However, this obviously leads to some issues, for example if she becomes "Man" of the Hour, she'll be adopted into the family, which will lead to two Galadriels, one of which counts as male, can marry, and can have children. However this can be prevented. There are several mods which have "hidden" family trees in addition to the royal line. Gondor especially in DaC has some of its generals starting with wives, with whom they can have children who will eventually spawn as generals. These married generals can never become Man of the Hour because they have hidden wives.

So this is what you do: Set Galadriel as a general and give her one of these hidden family trees. However you must also ensure that Galadriel's "wife" starts the game dead, so her general version can't have children.

Then the two Galadriels work in tandem together. The general version can roam around and fight battles, but can't have kids or be adopted into the ruling family. The family version is Celeborn's wife, and only exists in the family tree. She can't roam around and fight battles, but she can have kids.

I've never seen this done before in the mods I've played. Could this work?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Method to have Galadriel and Celeborn both as generals?

Might work, yes, if the secondary family tree behaves as you say.
    You should presumably also give general Galadriel [gG] four dead children too, or she migth get adoption proposals?
    I have limited experience with multiple family trees, DCI utilize it for the Kingdom of Lindon, but there Elrond start as heir so the kingship jumps to and fro the both trees, displaying only the one of the current FL, but offering marriages and adoptions to both trees at the same time, so I am not familiar with how it works when both FL and FH start in the primary tree.

And, for consistency wife Galadriel [wG] should be killed through script when gG dies. Scripting is not my field though, so don't know if this is possible.
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Might work, yes, if the secondary family tree behaves as you say.
    You should presumably also give general Galadriel [gG] four dead children too, or she migth get adoption proposals?
    I have limited experience with multiple family trees, DCI utilize it for the Kingdom of Lindon, but there Elrond start as heir so the kingship jumps to and fro the both trees, displaying only the one of the current FL, but offering marriages and adoptions to both trees at the same time, so I am not familiar with how it works when both FL and FH start in the primary tree.

And, for consistency wife Galadriel [wG] should be killed through script when gG dies. Scripting is not my field though, so don't know if this is possible.
    Good catch with the children idea. I'm not sure she'd get adoption offers since general family trees don't count as the ruling family, but there's no harm in playing it safe. And yeah, a simple script to kill the other when one dies would make sense too.

Makes me wonder if this could be done for other factions like Rohan and Free Peoples/Northern Dunedain to give them Eowyn and Arwen as generals.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Should work equally for them, if it work out for Galadriel, aye.
    Eowyn may be the slightly trickier one, if to add four dead children, as she would have to be 16 years to be able to have one and must begin at 20 yers old or so, though TATW strech ages when desired, so nothing new there really.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well, what can I say, but the great work has begun ...

I hope to add Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn and Tauriel as the Ladies of War. Galadriel will also have a script allowing her to claim the One Ring, much like how Saruman can.

Last edited by Nariac; June 11, 2016 at 09:35 AM.

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Nice...Are you sure it is lore-accurate to have Arwen as a general?(If the addition of these generals is to be lore-accurate,of course)

It would not exactly be 'lore-accurate' to have Galadriel as general per se (the only attestation to her being even involved in physical combat is a late writing that notes her as having fought with the Feanoreans at Alqualonde). Even at Dol Guldur, it is Celeborn who led Lorien's military. Galadriel came in after the victory to throw down the walls. So I doubt that being 'lore-accurate' is much of a concern.

One of the few changes I liked in the movie version of LotR was where Arwen was changed from being a stay-at-home princess waiting to get married to someone who actually did stuff. So it's not enormously lore-accurate, but I think it might be nice.

On that note, all the girls are done and working fine. Now I just need to teach myself how to model and texture. >___>

I couldn't resist giving Tauriel a dwarven friend ancillary. We all know why.

I was toying with giving Eowyn a different bodyguard, since there are no special bodyguard Rohan generals, they all have traditional heavy cav. Perhaps scouts, making her a fast and effective unit for disrupting archers, or mounted archers? Not sure. What do you guys think?

I'm working on the script to allow Galadriel to claim the One Ring, but oooooh boy, that'll take a while. Still, gives me time to try to work out how to get models for these lasses.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Nariac View Post
    One of the few changes I liked in the movie version of LotR was where Arwen was changed from being a stay-at-home princess waiting to get married to someone who actually did stuff. So it's not enormously lore-accurate, but I think it might be nice.

On that note, all the girls are done and working fine. Now I just need to teach myself how to model and texture. >___>

I couldn't resist giving Tauriel a dwarven friend ancillary. We all know why.

I was toying with giving Eowyn a different bodyguard, since there are no special bodyguard Rohan generals, they all have traditional heavy cav. Perhaps scouts, making her a fast and effective unit for disrupting archers, or mounted archers? Not sure. What do you guys think?

I'm working on the script to allow Galadriel to claim the One Ring, but oooooh boy, that'll take a while. Still, gives me time to try to work out how to get models for these lasses.
    Hello, I am looking for exactly this - female heroes from LotR to add to my campaign. Do you have a finished version of this mod?

I would like to have Eowyn, Arwen and Tauriel - but especially Eowyn.

I do have a Galadriel-model from DCI that I can use privately.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

The safest way on doing that is to change Lothlorien's family tree to Teutonic, since their only child married to Elrond.