Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ETW Map making tutorial

Default Re: ETW Map making tutorial

Its really not that hard, i never made a map before, and i only had 2 issues i couldnt figure out, which where answered by hokomoko and badger, and another 2 i couldnt know of because noone did, which are solved now as well. So theres no reason why anybody should not be able to make a map, ff you want to see whats possible check this thread page 8.

i would just try and ask your questions to someone in a steam chat...i was able to get some help from tsailen last night... posting your problems here doesnt seem to work.

"The experienced soldier, once in motion, is never bewildered;
    once he has broken camp, he is never at a loss.” - Sun Tzŭ

Is it possible to edit the preset battle maps that generate from campaigns? For example, can I use these tools to edit all siege battles so that instead of forts you get a series of earth bunkers and wooden cavalry spikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    Is it possible to edit the preset battle maps that generate from campaigns? For example, can I use these tools to edit all siege battles so that instead of forts you get a series of earth bunkers and wooden cavalry spikes?
    no

"The experienced soldier, once in motion, is never bewildered;
    once he has broken camp, he is never at a loss.” - Sun Tzŭ

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

none of download mirrors work can someone plz post it an attachment? Ill +rep you!
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Default Re: ETW Map making tutorial - thanks and questions

Thanks for the great tutorial and tools!

They convinced me to tackle a single-battle custom map for ETW: The Battle of White Plains, NY,
    on Oct. 28, 1776. The unit limits in ETW make it impossible to mod the whole battle, so my map concentrates on the critical part: Chatterton's Hill. I grew up near there, so I know the general terrain (and I watched a lot of reenactments in nearby parks as a child).

Here are the steps I've taken so far, with notes about the successes and roadblocks along the way. Perhaps someone can offer tips to help me -- because I'm stuck at the moment on exporting/converting/importing my heightmap. I want to use accurate terrain and not draw it from scratch.

1. Found the 2x2 km area on Google Earth, marked the 4 corners with placemarks, then recorded the longitude-latitude coordinates of each corner. Drew a polygon on the map area, saved it, then cropped in in Paint.net to give me a satellite image of the play area. Scaled the image to 2048 x 2048 pixels, so it would match the scale of my project.

2. Logged onto USGS site ( http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm ), used my grid coordinates to select an area for elevation data download. Selected the Elevation Dataset (NED) 1 Arc Second data, and downloaded it as a GeoTiff file.

3. Used the freeware program 3DEM (works only in XP, get it from http://www.visualizationsoftware.com )
    to open the GeoTiff. The image shows as a beautiful color shaded terrain map. Using 3DEM, I saved the file as a "Binary (Signed Integer)" file (extension *.bin).

4. Once I had a .bin format, I could import it into the L3DT terrain design program and create a project, resize it, etc. according to the Lordz tutorial. The heightmap looks fine in L3DT, and the elevations are all accurate.

5. Now, the critical step is getting my heightmap imported into PnP Terrain Creator so I can edit the heightmap and put in textures, etc. But here's where I've had problems: PnP says one can import heightmaps in *.raw format, as an L3DT project file (*proj), or as a bitmap (many formats supposedly supported).

The first way I tried was to import the L3DT entire project file into PnP. First, I resized the heightmap in L3Dt to 1024 x 1024 and exported it. Then I tried to import the *proj file it into PnP. Nothing happens -- just no reaction from the program at all. Maybe this import filter doesn't really work with the free version?

Then I tried saving the heightmap in L3DT as a *raw file, but after the import the entire PnP heighmap is pure white, with an even 300 meter elevation all across it.

I get various results (none of them satisfactory) with all the other bitmap formats. For example, when I import the heightmap as a *.tga file, I get a very faint greyed out heightmap with insufficient variation. *.jpg heightmaps result in the opposite problem: excessive contrast, so the black-to-gray lower elevations are good but everything in the top several dozen meters is whited out into flat plateaus.

Now I'm looking for a way to maybe convert my heightmap from, say binary (*bin) to *dds. If I can get it into .dds format, then I can use the Lordz heightmap tool to convert that into .raw and maybe have it import properly into PnP.

Here's my heightmap in various formats, in case anyone wants to try converting/importing it into PnP and seeing why it does or doesn't work:

Any ideas?

Last edited by Flavious; July 29, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

Sorry, Flavious, I cannot answer your "advanced" problem.

I'm trying to create my first map right now and I am stuck when I try to run the map scripts for the height maps in gimp (script-fu-maps-script 1 5). I always get the gimp-error message "layer scale full" (Error: eval: unbound variable: gimp-layer-scale-full). I'm a greenhorn in such things - what am I doing wrong? Can anybody help me?

On this page (http://homepage2.nifty.com/sampodo/g...pscheme01.html) it says that I have to "Scale the layer using a specific interpolation method." which doesn't really help me on. The Lordz-tutorial says that the picture should be 1025x1025! Do I need to make the layer huge (speaking of thousands x thousands pixels?)?
    Last edited by Kaunitz; November 02, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaunitz View Post
    Sorry, Flavious, I cannot answer your "advanced" problem.

I'm trying to create my first map right now and I am stuck when I try to run the map scripts for the height maps in gimp (script-fu-maps-script 1 5). I always get the gimp-error message "layer scale full" (Error: eval: unbound variable: gimp-layer-scale-full). I'm a greenhorn in such things - what am I doing wrong? Can anybody help me?

On this page (http://homepage2.nifty.com/sampodo/g...pscheme01.html) it says that I have to "Scale the layer using a specific interpolation method." which doesn't really help me on. The Lordz-tutorial says that the picture should be 1025x1025! Do I need to make the layer huge (speaking of thousands x thousands pixels?)?
    Right umm I could be wrong as I have never ever modified anything to do with empire, but I know a quite a bit about gimp, when you press scale layer in gimp, it come up with a dialog box correct? with different options like how big you want it. Under all that there something called interpolation, then a dropdown box so it must mean one of those.

EDIT: after looking at the date you posted, you prob already found an answer oops lol
    Rome Total War Randomiser --- Thread --- Source Code

RTWLIB --- C#Library for manipulating and parsing the Rome Total War files. WIP.

I was wondering if u could make trenches with this mod?

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

you can make ground depressions with rather sharp edges , but those would be nearly 4 meters broad (good enough for mid-19th century trenches)

none of the links work just wondering if someone could post it or upload it somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Maffia9770 View Post
    none of the links work just wondering if someone could post it or upload it somewhere else
    sorry didn't see the links to the forum

Could someone upload the tutorial, links are dead?

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Here is a new link to Lordz_Map_Tutorial.rar

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Could you reupload it please? It gives me a message saying file is missing.

Cheers...

needs a reeupload on the tutorial

djsint2's Avatar Foederatus

reupload!

hiner's Avatar Laetus

What the last 3 guys said.

what the last 4 guys said