Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ETW Map making tutorial

Default ETW Map making tutorial

The Lordz Map Making tutorial

The tutorial created for use with the various tools designed by Hokomoko and to be used in conjunction with freeware to create your own ETW maps. Includes many, many images for your convenience.

D/L links
    http://files.filefront.com/Lordz+Map.../fileinfo.html
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JVZT4PR6
    http://rapidshare.com/files/22610336...orial.rar.html

Hoko’s Tools: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254170

Map Pack: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254177
    Last edited by badger1815; April 26, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: ETW Map making tutorial

wow. thanks!!!!!

Sknit's Avatar Biarchus

Cool cheers for that.
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
    - Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

Is it possible to post the tutorials here instead of making us download everything? Thanks!

ceann mor's Avatar Foederatus

what program do you use to view the tutorial because its comes up as jibberish on watever i seem to open it with, like winrar.

Thanks! but when you say map making, you're not referring to the strategic map R u?

But questions, is PNP terrain creator a CA tool? looks very professional.

What's really needed is a tool that converts M2TW / KTE strategic maps to ETW? Alot of work has gone into creating maps in m2tW, would be a pity to see them wasted.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Hi there,

As its is a 50+ page tutorial, with a lot of pictures, it's not easy to post it as a forum thread. So we opted to compile PDF document containing all the info.

I've just DL the Mega-upload file to check it's content, and it opens up fine in my version of Acrobat Reader 9. You'll need that free program, or any other pdf reader of course, but it should open fine. Maybe downloading it again might solve the problem.

PNP is a commercial software, not developed by the Lordz nor CA, but there is a free community version of it. We've tried to find ways around the various limitations of this program to allow it to be used for ETW terrain making. The standard version will allow you to export heightmaps without the watermarks (so you can skip that part of the tut), as well as allow you to place up to 100 building & 1600 trees (instead of the free 20 & 800 limitations).

This map editor tutorial only deals with the tactical battle map making, so campaign (or strategic) mapmaking isn't involved here. Imprting previous work would indeed be very nice, though will surely need adaptation.

cheers
    B

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

*begins to hug people...

...for an inappropriate and uncomfortable amount of time*
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

it will be impossible to edit the campaign map for a while yet, because it uses one big model for the land in a .MESH file. I can't remember which thread it was stated in, but the entire land mass in the campaign map is one big model, as yet, un-editable.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

Ducenarius

I don't get it where it says "move the .x file and the suffix texture to the Object" What texture? where do i get the texture?

Hi there,

replied on this in the other (mappack thread). The suffix texture is a typo

cheers
    B

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Here, Barbossa: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...88#post4882288
    The gaps in the landmasses in land.rigid_mesh are closed by coastline and river meshes. A load of work, once Just is going to have his converter completed.

The only thing the battle maps and the campaign map have in common are the heightmaps:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

I am having alot of trouble with exporting the map, and this tutorial has a fairly big hole because you have us export the raw, convert to dds with your tools and open in gimp, but the file you open in gimp is a BMP, and when we tryed to open the dds, it is all black, same as opening in other programs.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260572

Game Scripter @ Reverie World Studios

Hi there,

When exporting a terrain sector, make sure the terrain height range settings in PnP (file/terrain settings) for minimal and maximal height match those of your terrain sector before export.

If these settings are the default 0-5000 range, and your sector is say 100-250 m range, it will show up as a white, black or gray area, instead of the full color range you see in the sector terrain editing.

cheers
    B

Quote Originally Posted by badger1815 View Post
    Hi there,

When exporting a terrain sector, make sure the terrain height range settings in PnP (file/terrain settings) for minimal and maximal height match those of your terrain sector before export.

If these settings are the default 0-5000 range, and your sector is say 100-250 m range, it will show up as a white, black or gray area, instead of the full color range you see in the sector terrain editing.

cheers
    B
    Really, that is good to know.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260572

Game Scripter @ Reverie World Studios

Quote Originally Posted by badger1815 View Post
    Hi there,

cheers
    B
    Thanks again for the help, we are really exited

hokomoko's Avatar Tiro

Yes, we were very enthusiastic about making things public (well, it wouldn't be fun if we'll be the only cartographers) so some parts of the tut and tools are unpolished.

The Lordz Modding Collective

Vimes had never got on with any game much more complex than darts. Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves. -Thud!, Terry Pratchett

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

is there like a more simple tutorial for people who have no clue what their doing

hokomoko's Avatar Tiro

nope. if you have any more specific question I'd gladly help in another topic/PMs/msn

The Lordz Modding Collective

Vimes had never got on with any game much more complex than darts. Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves. -Thud!, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by hokomoko View Post
    nope. if you have any more specific question I'd gladly help in another topic/PMs/msn
    That'sex actly why we need a SDK from CA, so NOOBS don't need to understand the technical details to get a map!

I amazed they haven't developed front-ends for this engine, knowing they would be used for following projects.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast