Thread: Writers Guild.

Hey fellow writers, I decided to liven up the essay competition with some discussion on the essays you’re currently supposed to be writing. Discuss themes, style and anything else that has to do with writing. Don’t Post your Essays Here! Also you don’t have to contribute in here just get ideas and inspiration, don’t copy peoples work!

I will set the trend and start.

Well my favorite author is Tolkien, and after learning he first had ideas and dreams about middle earth in the trenches of France I thought I’d use him as a character and WW1 as the scheme of the story. The main theme will be an individual’s mental strain and his way in distancing himself from the carnage around him. It might be done in flashback or with “tolkien” as narrator. Ah this is all I have thought up, what do you guys think? And what are your Ideas?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

I need to know. Does the story have to be descriptive or can it be a descriptive dialogue story?

I actually have no ideas at all for my essay. I don't even know if I'm going to write it. :getlost I'm still looking for inspiration or something, I suppose.

(Seleucos, I'm in your sig! I'm honored! :lol)

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Originally posted by Seleucos I Nicator@May 15 2005, 01:43 PM
    I need to know. Does the story have to be descriptive or can it be a descriptive dialogue story?
    Anything you want within the title constrainst.

I actually have no ideas at all for my essay. I don't even know if I'm going to write it. I'm still looking for inspiration or something, I suppose.
    I hope you find it, we really want this competition to be a success!
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

About the essay based on the pic, i wanted to base mine on characters from a RTW (Mundus Magnus) campaign i have. The problem is that its only like 200 BC and ive conquered Greece, Illyria, Macedon, most of west Africa, like 1/4 of Gaul and about half of Egypt, which is very innacurate. Could I still base my essay on it?

Originally posted by MyFriendPeter90@May 15 2005, 02:26 PM
    About the essay based on the pic, i wanted to base mine on characters from a RTW (Mundus Magnus) campaign i have. The problem is that its only like 200 BC and ive conquered Greece, Illyria, Macedon, most of west Africa, like 1/4 of Gaul and about half of Egypt, which is very innacurate. Could I still base my essay on it?
    Yes the picture essay is NOT "historical fiction". you can do what you want using the picture.

Originally posted by GENERAL_MAXIMUS@May 15 2005, 02:29 PM
    Yes the picture essay is NOT "historical fiction". you can do what you want using the picture.
    Can I take a historical event and stretch it slightly to fit what I want it to?

Originally posted by Justinian@May 15 2005, 02:49 PM
    Can I take a historical event and stretch it slightly to fit what I want it to?
    You can do, whatever you want, within the context of the picture!

For my essay i think it will be about the fall of saigon, not sure about the character yet. Still thinking abouut it. Hope this essay doesnt interfer with my writing class at school....
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

Yay! I got my inspiration! *gets to work*

Im doing the first topic under advanced. I'm not a history buff like many of the posters here so I am having troubles finding just the right historical event for me since my knowledge is limited. Im concidering thermopylae but its just so...cliche.

One thing is for sure, this will be consuming my free thinking time for the next 2 weeks...school will surely suffer...I love this.

Edit, removed...spoilers? Haha how pretentious of me...o well.

Eothain's Avatar woo

So that means I can use the word motte and have guals wearing chain mail despite the fact that it isn't historically accurate and tBP was having a go at me for it the other day?

Anyhow, my essay is based on the picture. I'm writing it from the Gualish point of view and at the end, everyone dies as the Roman's storm the settlement!

The main character is a kid who fights in the defence of his village. Yeah.
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

Yay.

I thought the whole point of the essays being anonymous was so that voters wouldn't be biased on who to vote for, so I'm not going to say what mine will be about.

Foederatus

Yeah, you're right. I think anyone that did post what theirs is about should edit their post. I'm sure as hell not telling what mine is about.
    -And when he got to heaven, to saint Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in Hell"

Dont get too competative! You dont have to share ideas but if you do you might learn something. We want you to learn as well as compete for the Prize.

Libertus

Chill guys. As it looks like I'm writing this for fun anyway I'm writing the memoirs of a legionary. It will be a blend of historical events and the personal experiences of the soldier and his interpretation of these historical events.

Im not really gonna tell what mines about but it focuses on a roman general. so far, it is like 2300 words and im like half way done maybe.

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm doing the separation of church and state essay, and I'm using one of my favorite techniques (I used to write a political column for the school paper back in Highschool), which is an appeal to rationality. It isn't popular with the religious crowd, as a rationalist approach and a religious approach would be polar opposites, but it is objective enough to appeal to the common sense from both sides of the fence. The biggets flaw in my writing style is that I am very long-winded. I'm currently trying to cut down my first draft by as many words as possible while still retaining the main point before moving onto the second draft, and then repeating the process. :wack
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Foederatus

The only problems that I ever find in my writing is that my dialouge(sp) is to bland or I don't stuff enough details into my story. I'm slowly fixing the second one; I just run through the story again as I check it over and I add as many details as possible... or as many as my mind can think up. heh.
    -And when he got to heaven, to saint Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in Hell"