Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39647980818283848586878889
Results 1,761 to 1,772 of 1772

Thread: Impressions and Suggestions

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Impressions & Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post

The only cheat I've used sometimes during my time spent with Total War games is only the toggle_fow one. Now that I've used that cheat, it's better not to save? Using cheats may cause some crash progressing in the game?
    no

the messagge windows at the opening of the campaign is just an invitation to play the game as it is intended originally, is to say highest difficulty, huge unit size, no cheats and no exploits of silly game mechanics; I'm an old timer here (started to play Vanilla TATW back to 2011 and also tried all the mayor submods so far) and I have to say: follow that invitation and you won't regret. Take your time to learn and remember that each faction is usually really different (in particular in some submods) and never forget that if you find a campaign particularly difficult, you can always try to blitzgrieg your main enemy and this usually works in putting you on the edge for the rest of the campaign.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: First Impressions

Thank you, Flinn... omg, but this mod is really heavy, I guess it's even heavier than M2TW vanilla. I'm playing with Silvan Elves, settings are not at maximum (mostly low and medium) and yet I have lags sometimes. On the strat map too. And my hardware is definetely not poor (CPU AMD FX 8320E, ATI R9 270X and 8 GB RAM DDR3), resolution is set on 1440x900, I should be able to play with highest settings, don't you think?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have a much slower PC than you (a laptop) but I could play it without any problem; of course I reduced the details to low values (in general), but I did not experience big slowdowns, except in battles with more than 4 full stacks (which I try to avoid in any case) and only when I try to zoom in in the middle of the great slaughter. I'm not techy, but definitely you should be able to play it smoothly, even if with reduced details. Maybe an issue with video card driver or OS, I really don't know

The lag on the stratmap only happens when you have an agent or an army selected and you move around the map, isn't it so? And the farther you go, the more lag you have. If it is so, just do not move around the map with units selected (I don't remember exactly the reason, but IIRC it's not possible to solve this issue, other than the solution I proposed).
    Last edited by Flinn; July 22, 2016 at 08:12 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

What a lucky ass, thanks to High Elves and Dwarves cooperation I managed to wipe out OOTMM, they were left only with one settlement and Moria, Elves conquered that settlement and Moria revolted next turn. I was already there, ready to attack Moria with two full stacks (ballistae, ents and catapults. Obviously I striked and took Moria, no balrogs appeared. They revolted because they lost their second to last settlement? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Greymane's Avatar Senator

What a lucky ass, thanks to High Elves and Dwarves cooperation I managed to wipe out OOTMM, they were left only with one settlement and Moria, Elves conquered that settlement and Moria revolted next turn. I was already there, ready to attack Moria with two full stacks (ballistae, ents and catapults. Obviously I striked and took Moria, no balrogs appeared. They revolted because they lost their second to last settlement? Has anyone ever experienced this?
    Probably the faction leader and remaining heirs were in the settlement that the Elves took. If there is no faction leader, the faction dies and it's remaining settlements revolt.

Well, these are more kind of final judgments than first impressions. The mod is beautiful, the idea behind it, the units, the lore... what you devs have realized has been amazing, really. But... I can understand the difficulty, I've played TATW a lot, only using Silvan Elves because I like challenges, I'm very far with the campaign by now (300th turn) and I guess I'll stop here. The main reason of this choice is due to AI, I'm so tired of it, we're practically me and Dwarves left to struggle. I've taken some settlements from Rhun and given them to Dale, they've never helped neither me nor Dwarves to fight back Rhun. Mordor always comes out from its lands with many stacks and constantly pushes. They never stopped in all these 300 turns. Then you see High Elves, stucked there with Isengard near to defeat (they had only their capital and another city captured during one of those Sauron's jihad). I offered them everything (money, both as single payment and tribute, I also offered them Isengard itself). No way. The offer was always 'very demanding'. So I went to the diplomacy scroll and noticed they had taken Isengard as vassal. WTF? Why? I mean, we've almost defeated them, instead of striking and wipe them out, they prefer have it as vassal. So you think: "Morons!". It'd have been one less enemy around, us good factions could've focused on Rhun, Harad and Mordor (5 vs 3). Come on, why haven't you improved this aspect of AI?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

If you stop you stop Siggu' lad, that matters to no one else; as noted before, there are no devs around any longer, the game has not been in development for years.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well, these are more kind of final judgments than first impressions. The mod is beautiful, the idea behind it, the units, the lore... what you devs have realized has been amazing, really. But... I can understand the difficulty, I've played TATW a lot, only using Silvan Elves because I like challenges, I'm very far with the campaign by now (300th turn) and I guess I'll stop here. The main reason of this choice is due to AI, I'm so tired of it, we're practically me and Dwarves left to struggle. I've taken some settlements from Rhun and given them to Dale, they've never helped neither me nor Dwarves to fight back Rhun. Mordor always comes out from its lands with many stacks and constantly pushes. They never stopped in all these 300 turns. Then you see High Elves, stucked there with Isengard near to defeat (they had only their capital and another city captured during one of those Sauron's jihad). I offered them everything (money, both as single payment and tribute, I also offered them Isengard itself). No way. The offer was always 'very demanding'. So I went to the diplomacy scroll and noticed they had taken Isengard as vassal. WTF? Why? I mean, we've almost defeated them, instead of striking and wipe them out, they prefer have it as vassal. So you think: "Morons!". It'd have been one less enemy around, us good factions could've focused on Rhun, Harad and Mordor (5 vs 3). Come on, why haven't you improved this aspect of AI?
    It's just not TATW, nor TW for that matter, that has inadequate AI. I was playing Viking Conquest - Mount & Blade, fantastic game by the way, and was many turn in. I had conquered many english settlements and gifted many of them to my lords, thinking they would hold onto them while I plundered elsewhere ... but no! everytime i left, they would be under siege by English Christian forces and would lose everytime. Me and my army became "fire brigade" army, trying to smash sieges here there and everwhere. Too much i gave up. Which was a pity because VC is fantastic game, well balanced, vaguely realistic, very addictive etc.

Getting AI diplomcacy to be reaslitic and non-idiotic over an entire game, must be very difficult I suspect.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

I have been playing Third Age for some time a year or two years ago and really enjoyed it but failed like 5 or 6 times as Rohan. Well, maybe not failed but everytime I couldn't stop Rhun, Harad and Mordor from destroying Gondor and eventually focusing on me resulting in stealmate. I got back to this mod two weeks ago and failed another 3 times xD Third Age is beautiful, challenging, the hardest strategy thing I have ever played. I was cursing at Invasions, so OP and annoying. I was cursing at endless stacks, stacks coming from nowhere when a faction was annihilated. Garrison stacks, great cooperation of evil factions, everything made me mad. But finally in current game I am playing I managed to destroy Mordor completely but they are still present somwhere without any settlements, so I don't know what's going on. Gondor, even without threat of Mordor has gone into minor player, half of their empire got owned by Harad, so I had to act and now I just need to take Pelagrir and give it back to them (but I kept Minas Such a money maker). What was really unexpected for me was great coop of my good allies. Once I destroyed Mordor problems didn't do away because my new lands were placed between Rhun and Harad so I had to make tough decisions. Go to an expensive war against Rhun or help Gondor against Harad? Well, it turned out I will help my nooby Dunedains cause Dwarves and Dale completely destroyed Rhun. I love this campaing cause many things are happening here. Both orc factions were crippled without me doing anything (I was an ally of Misty Mountains at one point ). Gundabad got owned by Elves, Eriador and Dwarves, Misty has become a vassal of Silvan Elves.
    I don't have to mention units present in battles. Wonderful textures, Balrogs, Ents, Mumakils, Trolls, all of them looking so believable! Even shouts done by fans sound like from vanilla. This is the best mod I have played of all games I tried, not only strategy-wise. Great job guys!

Will surely make King Kong and the other creators glad to hear, if they drop in
    Quote Originally Posted by gahar
    But finally in current game I am playing I managed to destroy Mordor completely but they are still present somwhere without any settlements, so I don't know what's going on.
    Mordor is a horde-faction with a hidden "life line" keeping it in existance, and, to my memory, can only completly be destroyed by dropping the Ring in Mt Doom.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well, it turned out that after a while one or two stacks appeared with a message and short video from Lotr (scene where we see an army of orcs marching towards the Black Gate) but they happened to come out in Eriador Eventually I decided to move some units there to deal with it and when I crushed that last stack there was a pop-up that a faction was destroyed. Pity. I read here that if Mordor gets the One Ring, Sauron appears. Someone wrote that this one unit can wipe out whole army. Such a shame I will not be a witness to that.

OK, they could be destroyed traditionally once they reemerged, thanks for the reminder ^^
    There will come time when you get to wrestle Sauron, too. He, though there's always a risk he's x3 on larger unit scale, can be a challenge, no doubt