Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30557071727374757677787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1772

Thread: Impressions and Suggestions

Default Re: First Impressions

hi, i am new here. Third Age has made me sing up to these forums and i would like to say that this is unbelievable, cheers.

preselectlee's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Gorjin View Post
    Sorry for that dubblepst but I cant delete one

After some research I have found that its probably AVG thats over sensitive.

And AVG have ed my installation so I will enjoy another hour of reinstalling

Hey man. Ive got AVG as well. It has in the past considered the medieval 2 exe file as a virus before. Its simply wrong. Just ignore the popup and continue as normal.

This was the DISKs exe. So Dont worry about viruses. AVG just acts funny with medieval.

To the makers of TATW, thank you. This is a brand new and outstanding gaming experience. Honestly, you guys are the absolute reason to buy and play total war games. Thank you for the mod, it rocks.

Civis

Finally managed to find time to download 3.1

So, first impression: the economy has been tightened up, this is going to be really unforgiving if you lose to many units or make bad building choices! Enjoying playing as Rohan so far though, I like a challenge.

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

i really dont like this thread cause there is too much ing swearing...o wait did i just ing curse..damn!
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Is the blood on the people not showing up for somepeople

Playing as Gondor in VH/VH is really really very hard. In the other versions I always had enough money to build something in each settlement, each turn. This time not, and its a pain to have your slowly recruited units on two or more fronts, Mordor on the east and Harad coming for various of your cities in the south

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Then dint play vh/vh maby?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

VH is VVH in 3.1., according to KK (he's a hard core player after all haha).
    Its just to adapt to that there are a new set of difficult levels now. Play on H and you are about VH in 2.1

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Im not complaining, I won. Just saying that my first impression is that it is harder than before

Brilliant, having loads of fun playing as Rohan.

Laetus

My first impression:

Started a campaign as Rohan on TATW 3.1.

Seems pretty cool and all. But I've killed Saruman fairly easy right at the opening moves. Just massed up my initial troops and started besieging Isengard. Saruman got their free troops (scripted) and sallied forth so I interrupted the siege and withdrew. Bloodthirsty, Saruman went all out and attacked my retreating army.

The battle was kinda nice. Sent some knights circling around and surround Saruman while my infantry stood ground and held the bulk of Isengard's Uruks. Saruman fell fairly easy as my knights were taking turns charging his Bodyguard unit.

It took some time though for the character Saruman to die, all his bodyguards were long dead and there he was, all alone taking charge after charge, hehehe . Figured all those extra hit points got something to do with it.

Saruman should know better than to face the rohirrim in the open like that. Hope that gets "fixed" in the future. Isengard fell 2 turns later.

Laetus

My first impression was alright, I guess. Started a campaign with Rohan (TATW 3.1). Amassed an army to siege Isengard with the initial troops you get at the start of the game. Isengard got tons of units spawned, so Saruman sallied forth and I chose to withdraw from the siege.

Bloodthirsty as he was he went after my retreating army with his now great band of orcs and the ensuing field battle was nothing really difficult. Just used the cavalry to circle and surround Saruman's Bodyguard unit while my infantry stood ground and clashed with the bulk of his army. Charge after charge on Saruman's unit and he fell down dead.
    The rest of the orcs fell easily after charging their flanks.

Saruman should know better than to face rohirrim in the open. Hopefully they'll make him smarter on the next patch, or maybe he'll get better units as spawn.

It's a well made mod through and through, i had to install medieval 2 again just to check it out the other day and gave it a fair bit of time just to check out the functions and layout. I got not complaints on the mod at all, in fact i sat there wishing it had been made for the Rome game instead. I had forgotten how bad the medieval combat engine is, it's like maneuvering syrup across baking paper so i finally got tired and uninstalled the whole thing. But as i say if people like the Medieval game i can strongly recommend this mod.

The game is great, my only disapointment is these gondor militia that really don't make me feel im in command of the Gondor army but more of the Gondor peasants. And the inaccesibility of the ''movie'' gondor soldiers makes it last forever, because you can only get 1 spearm or 1 swordman every 11 turn. So it takes ages to actually field a normal gondorian army. One that isn't 90% militia and 5% bodyguard and 5% white plate spearmen/swordsmen.

I installed it, and the strat map works great. If I try to fight a battle, I get a ctd. Any input?

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

all good beside the fact my aragorn in the game is a missile cavalry unit...pfffff
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

I started up TA 2.0 here the other day for the first time in quite a while, to see if I could complete my Eriador campaign. And by change I popped by here aswell. And what's this? 3.1? You guys rules !

No problem here with the game, the new maps are absolutley great
    they have some bugs thou
    in Helm's Deep the enemy siege tower was stuck in the walls and my capapults didn't fire, no matter where i placed them
    no problems with Minas Tirith or Osgiliat
    therefore: your work is great as ever! thanks a lot!

Brewskin's Avatar Libertus

Have defeated OoG, OotMM, and Isengard in my current HE game(turn 240), and now starting to liberate Gondor from Mordor and Harad, they're down to just a few of their westernmost provinces. Eriador would likely have fallen to the Orcs and Isengard if I hadn't retaken their cities, but after converting to Arnor they seem to be getting much stronger, so I'm gifting them cities near the front lines. Rohan has held it's own against invasions and Mordor stacks, thanks to my keeping Isengard busy, and finally destroying them. The bloody Dwarves are the largest faction, and hammered the Sylvans into near oblivion before I could finally force a peace between them. I gave them all of the Gundabad lands, and they now seem content to fight Mordor and Rhun around Mirkwood and Erebor. The Sylvans are slowly building back up thanks to a couple of gifted provinces. Dale is pretty much done, Rhun has devoured their provinces, and they and the bloody Dwarves are fighting back and forth across the remnants, trading settlements and not really advancing much. Mordor has NE Gondor, while Harad has the rest, there must be at least a dozen full Haradrim stacks wandering around down there. I've got 3 full stacks heading into their former territories currently, and am not even confident of stemming the tide, especially the 3 full stacks of Mordor top tier troops hanging around Minas Tirith.

This is my 4th game of 3.1, all at VH, though I stopped the others much earlier. In every one the bloody Dwarves attack the Sylvans, and just steamroll them. Twice Eriador attacked the bloody Dwarves, due to being locked in by my lands I'm guessing, so gifting them a front line province is a necessity. The bloody Dwarves seem intent on having a clear path to Mordor, only after they did so was I able to get them to remain at peace with the Sylvans. Dale starts decently, then gets crushed by Rhun, and their provinces then retaken by the bloody Dwarves every game. Gondor starts out well against Mordor and Harad, and even takes E. Osgiliath, but by turn 150 or so they are in serious trouble. They sent a full stack against Talsir early on, something I'd never seen before, troops they definitely could have used at home.

Bottom line, from my limited experience as the HE thus far, the good guys, excepting possibly the bloody Dwarves, cannot stand up against the bad guys without serious player help. I'm sitting at 22 provinces, and have gifted nearly that many; heck, my elves restored Arnor, not the free peoples; otherwise the world would be me, the bloody Dwarves and a whole lotta ugly. I haven't been attacked by any of the good factions, though the bloody Dwarves made me nervous enough to keep some overly large garrisons in the west until I was able to trade for Thorin's Halls. The stacks from Rhun, Mordor and Harad are seemingly endless. Definitely gives one a bit of a sense of urgency, if not a feeling of outright impending doom.

I'm going to finish this game, good or ill, but it's been a beast, and doesn't look any friendlier in the future. Definitely a challenge.

Couple of other thoughts:

Population growth is brutally hard to maintain. Apparently some of the ancillaries and traits don't do what their descriptions state, it would be good if they could be changed to reflect this. I understand wanting to limit the uber cities, just would prefer to be able to understand what works and why, as well as what doesn't.

Elrond's Guardian of Wisdom retinue is transferable, and if you give it to another general, will respawn every turn.

Custom settlements are amazing, I've fought in Imladris, Isengard and Moria, getting ready to lay siege to Minas Tirith. They really add an incredible level of immersion to an already intense atmosphere. Some of the camera angles and movement paths are a bit frustrating at first, I spent most of my time in Moria zoomed all the way down, which just made it more epic.

The Balrogs are tough, that was a scary fight.

As HE, I was able to take everything all the way south to Lond Angren, including Allimir and Argond, before Isengard or Eriador, without really rushing at all.

The Ring quest Learned not to get click happy on the Ringbearer, for sure. I'm curious about something though, and wish I'd tested it. If the Ringbearer has a full slate of retinue, will he not get Gollum?

Money is definitely tight, I've just gotten my economy to a point that I can sustain 3 stacks in the field, only one of which is top tier, and am barely making a profit. Makes you very choosy about your battles.

Overall impression, it's hard, definitely VVH at VH. Probably why I haven't played anything else for the past month, and am getting set for a desperate night of arrows, orcs and the screams of the dying.

Thanks to the crew, lot of hours filled with Tolkienny goodness.