Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3863787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1772

Thread: Impressions and Suggestions

Default Re: First Impressions

Just got a working version of Kingdoms and installed the mod today. It is freaking AWESOME! I have spent about 7 hours playing as Dale already and don't want to stop. I hope I can knock out Rhun tomorrow and get a breathing space.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Welcome to the TATW club

Quote Originally Posted by regnak999 View Post
    I hope I can knock out Rhun tomorrow and get a breathing space.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks! Unfortunately an infantry shortage has delayed the fall of their new capital near Harad. I was hoping to kill all their generals but have never seen their faction leader with my spies. I hope I won't have to look for him in Gondor or Rohan.

Absolutely great mod. I've played already quite a long game with both Gondor and Eriador.

I love the balance of QualityUnits vs HugeUnits, and the how the trolls, balrogs and big-units bring chaos and shatters all the well managed lines and strategy.

About the scripts (AI-boost, ring quest, palantiri...) that was brilliant. My only bad felling is that I find palantiris somewhat caotic and some times not so useful (still I guess it is the best lore approach).

A Tolkien fan happy for long hours of gameplay! Thanks a lot for all your effort!

Downloaded the mod on Friday and played most of the weekend. I really like it.

I've been really getting into the mod recently, though I have to ask. Is the removal of unit banners intentional or no? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

it is intentional, in order to put them back, do as Ngugi suggests

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    However, to increase visibility you can enable the flags atop units (as seen in M2, unless edited).
    In your Third_Age_3-folder there's a file named TATW.cfg
    Open it with Notepad or Notepad++ and edit this
    Code:
    show_banners = 0
    into
    Code:
    show_banners = 1
    hope this helps dude
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Matamelcan's Avatar Foederatus

My first impression of this game was watching surrealbeliefs.
    And my first impression playing was an epic battle in Helms Deep.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

This is an oldie but a goldie from 2009 not long after v. 1.4 was released. It's good to see how far this mod has come, especially with enormous submods like MOS and DAC, and also good to see that even the earliest version was badass and still worth playing.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

TATW is probably the most devepoled mod of the history of videogaming (especially if one considers all the submods)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hello.

I just downloaded and tried this mod.

First impression: lot of texts!

Second impression: That's big! The settlements are far away from one to another, big units...

Third impression: surprises! Ambush, reinforcements in besieged cities...

4th impression: Tense!

The fact that settlements are far-far away make your choices of expansion, and armed explorations sharps. And the very poor reinforcements you can get in newly captured settlements (12 turns for a snaga, and only after building an Goblin's hole? ha!) add to that feeling of sending "expeditions" that must essentialy count only on themselves, and when 2 units finally came from homelands, it's a blessing for the survivors ^^ Fortunately, I have these wonderfull mountain trolls units... (lost 1/12 of them in an hard battle with elves, but they are gold experienced now ^^) (and buy mercenaries as soon as possible, but aren't enought..) (I play only on VH/VH, I play TW series from Shogun, 1st) Love the fact that watchtowers net became a real interressing thing.
    Love the "meat shield" feeling of the orcs units: I noticed units don't rout easily in TATW, so, you have to sustain some casualities. And you can achieve heroïc victory with 1xsnaga skirmishers + 1xArchers Vs 2xElvens archers+1xElvens Spears ^^ (an elves patrol that have cowardly ambushed youth goblins!)

So, my first impression: TATW is able to make small rush battles of the first dozains turns very tenses and sharp-edged choices of expansion/expeditions with few units in some heroïc engagements.

Love that first impression ^^ Hope It keep the good things over the nexts turns!

Fun to hear you enjoy TATW with the rest of us It was the intention of King King, the team leader, to up the challenge rate and create a game also veterans would find a task to wrestle with, hehe
    1xArchers Vs 2xElvens archers+1xElvens Spears
    Well played baggers, well played indeed
    Last edited by Ngugi; March 23, 2016 at 03:53 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Well played baggers, well played indeed
    Haha, thanks!

It's the sort of figth I like: besiegeds pointy-ears try to break the siege...

And only one survived, for entertaining purposes of my fierce Orcs.

(OK, I lost to many trolls, but it worth it and was an interresing figth ^^)

Well not exactly my first impressions but second but... well let me start from beginning. I found this mod few days ago and lost (well after Saruman's death i voluntarily gave up) two Isengard campaigns on H/H. It's not "another Isengard is hard" topic :p. I don't mind loosing, one have to learn somehow and this mod is great so I visited this forum for guidance. To make things short i came up with a great idea to play Elves instead cause Isengard is considered "secret uber difficult level".

And So I played Silver Elves on H/H... Legolas went west while his father ventured east with spearmen unit and light + heavy archers. It wasn't long before I encountered some bandits just a generic 550 men strong stack with some archers and light infantry. I spread my troops to force bandits to do some leg work preferably under fire. I was aiming at very few losses with this new elite troops. It went well for some time but then strange things begun to happen. First my heavy Sindar archers engaged two bandit peasant archer units in shooting match. I through heavy armor, better bows and superior skill they can hold their own... I was wrong. My elves started loosing badly dropping like -10/15 each enemy twin volley. I charged them and finally was able to rout them losing over 70 elves in process. But let's look at other skirmish few hundreds meters to the left. Bandit light infantry was running under fire from my light and normal (Faction Leader) Sindar archers. Finally maybe 40 of them charged my fresh 121 spearmen. I won, but each bandit took more than one elf with him, tired or even very tired tier unit with one third of it's nominal manpower fought with three times their number fresh troop like equal?. Meanwhile another light infantry charged my general unit (Sindar Archers) and... obliterated it.

My question is WTF!! I was cutting this bandits like rye with my Uruk Raiders and now that. Another issue light infantry ran after suffering 90% loses... wtf? even samurai armies wasn't that resistant.

What's wrong? Silver elves are so bad? I accidentally run Fatality mode as punishment for playing under recommended VH/VH?

Are you sure it was "ligth" bandits? Somewath, bandits have good troops that is more heavy infantery with axes, helm, and mailed shirts!

Welcome to TWC Z'

Well, rebel units are no more than light and medium and are balanced (as long as no further submod is added at least), so that sounds at a glance like a mere unlucky event.

However I may speculate on some factors;
    Against missile fire Armour and Defence have a limited relevance, as missile fire is primarily protected against by the Shield-value of a unit, which is 0 for Silvans heaviest archers. Meaning they can fight well if attacked in melee, but if outnumbered by archers who have been able to get within reach without being repelled, they end up on equal terms (because while the Elves have greater range and more damage, the rebels compensate with sheer numbers).
    On the infantry, were some axemen perhaps? Because axemen have AP [Armour Piercing, "Good against armour"] meaning that their enemies armour value only count as half. Your general BG have 8 Armour, but if fighting units with AP, they may only utilize 4 Armour, making them signifcantly less resistent in battle.
    Bandits are very light, but have a good attack that in combination with the charge bonus may reduced the Elves they fought so they got a chance in the continuing battle. Especially as the Silvan units are smaller than normal units in size to begin with, which may have a significant result (this is usually and in time compensated by the many archers murdering any enemy advancing against the Elven infantry).
    Also, spearmen have a bonus vs cavalry, but suffer a slight penalty against other infantry.
    Lastly, there are certain rebel units that are at least decent, such as the Militia units.

And no, VH/VH would make the AI even less eager to break and rout, so you are not punished. There are no technical penalties to not play on VH/VH.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 06, 2016 at 06:16 PM.

Well not i just saw something very similar to "southern breed" of bandits and attacked. That was my next question are bandits in the north harder. As a matter of fact i just came back to edit this post with update that next fight was more... plesant among others same elven spearmen vs full unit of fresh stright from the settlement gates and fight went on smoothly only 30 loses. Again great piece of work

No, unless you fought Beornings who are only found in the north around Mirkwood. They are dangerous axemen hehe
    Sounds good, giv'em rebel scum hell!

Fantastic mod, but the High Elves have to wait until the very last barrack/s in the very biggest cities until they're able to get their hands on armoured units. That's a big flaw in the 3rd Age mod, I've found. Dwarves don't suffer from anything like it, and are well balanced. How do elves intend to stay alive forever if they run around without armour? I'd like to see this corrected if possible. Mayhaps there are some model files from the 2nd or 1st age mods that could be used for additional mid-tier units?

As of currently, I've found during two longer playthroughs that the best way to play High Elves, is to amass an army of mounted generals, and maybe use some harassment skirmishing archers and a few sword and board blocks to bog down enemy regiments and lock them in place for a cavalry flanking charge. After all, your militia elves don't last too well on their own, particularly in quickbattles, and your eldarinwë heavy infantry must march way back to your big cities to retrain. Not ideal, and not even a fun challenge.

Default Re: First Impressions & Screenshots

I spent the first 15-20 minutes only to watch the strat map using the toggle_fow cheat. It's incredible how you've been able to recreate the world, the feeling of the movies/books. Now I understand why everyone said me "try TATW". The opening message about not cheating or declare war without "inform" your enemy before... very funny. There's surely more, I'm going to find out it soon.

The only cheat I've used sometimes during my time spent with Total War games is only the toggle_fow one. Now that I've used that cheat, it's better not to save? Using cheats may cause some crash progressing in the game?