Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3257727374757677787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1772

Thread: Impressions and Suggestions

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: First Impressions

There's also the children of Hurin and the Silmarillion, though neither are as well written as the ones you've read. The Silmarillion is more like a history book rather than a novel, but is nice to know more about the background of the First, Second and Third Age.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

The Silmarillon is my prefer book of Tolkien, there are many things we can't understand without it.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

Hey I have been looking at this mod for quite a while and think I may try it out. I have been playing some of the RTW mods like RSII and XC along with the middle earth mods there. I think that this mod is going to be great with visuals the quality of RSII, the economy of XC all in the era of the War of the Ring sounds like something special. I am hoping that this is as lore accurate as the Fourth Age Total War tries to be. And Gondolin I agree with you I think that the Silmarillon is the best of the books Tolkien wrote. However the others are also quite the masterpieces and nothing would be complete without the others. Oh and thank you Third Age devs because I feel like this is going to be one hell of a mod.

Just had a corsair invasion playing as Gondor ... Amazing! One more challenge!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

@Rora Lion
    You can avoid getting invaded by corsairs if you take Umbar. As soon as you're done with the invasion. Load a full stack in some boats (don't use one small boat or you might get sunk) and sail to Umbar! Be careful though, Umbar has the garrison script. That means that even if they only have 2 units inside of the city, the moment you lay siege to it, the game will automatically spawn a big army inside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizad View Post
    @Rora Lion
    You can avoid getting invaded by corsairs if you take Umbar. As soon as you're done with the invasion. Load a full stack in some boats (don't use one small boat or you might get sunk) and sail to Umbar! Be careful though, Umbar has the garrison script. That means that even if they only have 2 units inside of the city, the moment you lay siege to it, the game will automatically spawn a big army inside the city.
    Big army? The garrisoned script has been nerfed considerably ...
    Code:
    if I_SettlementUnderSiege Umbar
    	and I_SettlementOwner Umbar = spain
    	and I_CompareCounter Umbar_Siege < 1
    	and I_CompareCounter Umbar_Local = 0
    	while I_CompareCounter PT < 1
    			create_unit Umbar, Corsairs, num 2, exp 0, arm 0, wep 0
    			create_unit Umbar, Corsair Archers, num 1, exp 0, arm 0, wep 0
    			create_unit Umbar, Southron Spearmen, num 1, exp 0, arm 0, wep 0
    			create_unit Umbar, Hasharii, num 1, exp 0, arm 0, wep 0
    		inc_counter PT 1
    		set_counter Umbar_Siege 5
    	end_while
    end_if

That's the one for umbar ... 4 units are hardly a big army ...
    IIRC they used to spawn a half stack maybe even more on older versions
    Anyway it's seems more realistic that way and not so artificial as before ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizad View Post
    My comment was meant in admirative sense, as I remember that something similar was included in an older version of MOS for 2.1, and was once judged to be "too difficult" for the AI to handle by someone and therefore not fit for the main release. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Playing Gondor and I can only say three letters...WOW!
    I had dozens of battles at Cair Andros and Osgiliath and I am still looking forward to the battles coming! I love the new Gondorian chainmail units with black coat of arms! They are not so filmish but more Tolkien like! I wish Citadel guard and Fountain guard could get that armor aswell....

Moreover, I had a short look at High Elves and must say the new Quendi look stunningly beautiful...and all the other new changes, especially, the loading screens and campaign map changes! Thanks a lot for this almost perfect mod!

P.S.: Does anybody know how I can get rid of the flying tails of arrows in the descr_effect_impacts.txt ...??? Cheers!
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; June 07, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

This morning I played first time in Third age 3 campaign. Everything from start video and main menu was perfect that I like watch this first intro always. I really like there is many factions to choose and play. I found my interesting by Saruman's army, because their Uruk-hai units. Then campaign. This campaign map looks awesome that I really like this enviroment and there is many knowed places, what i know from book and movie. I was really confused, because it is hard get units, because they have really long respawn time 4-20 turns by normal units and more longer by special units! T__T I was really liking start building nice cool uruk-hai army as it is my style in total war. Then one worst side I have noticed is "End Turn". It is taking forever that whole gameplay goes for that. I dont know why AI turns take so long as I though it would be quickly done, because you haven't discovered them yet. So long respawn + forever End Turn are big minus by me. Everything is perfect that I love it really much.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    P.S.: Does anybody know how I can get rid of the flying tails of arrows in the descr_effect_impacts.txt ...??? Cheers!
    Here ya go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieg_Boy View Post
    I have a better way to remove the trails without changin the descr_flaming_projectiles...

Attachment 7251

Extract and paste in your mod or vanilla data\models_effects\textures

And the trail is gone.
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Berserker View Post
    Here ya go:
    Thanks for helping!

Didn't know that Amon Sul was remodded! Looks awesome!
    Wish (dismounted) Aragorn could be attacked by dismounted Nazguls there...!
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; June 20, 2012 at 06:03 AM.

I want to say that this mod is awesome, and I don't have the words to express correctly my thanks to the modders!!
    I will just say that: maaaaaany years ago, I was among the first to buy and play a game named Shogun total war (yes, the first one), and was a big total war fan since that time. From the beginning, I dreamt that one day there would be a "tolkien total war".

Well, thank you King Kong and all the other modders, in my opinion you simply are heroes. If I had a daughter to give you in marriage, I would

I just downloaded this mod yesterday and started a hotseat campaign with the wife. She of course went with the high elves so instead of taking orcs I went with the sylvan elves(honestly my choice). This mod is simply amazing and all the history and awesome loading screens really help to capture the LotR feel and immerse you into Tolkiens world.

Also just started a campaign as the Orcs of the Misty Mountains and holy crap is this awesome. Wargs are simply awesome and so much fun to use. Next up will be either a Gondor or Rohan campaign.

Default Just passed by to say thanks

Hey guyz,

I hope that this post will not displease the modders/owners of this section as it is not really relevant.

I've heard of this mod long before, usually first thing someone will talk about when mentioning Medieval 2 is this mod and also something like Barbarocum ... , well and another one...
    Excuse me for my lack of knowledge but the thing is I just bought Medieval 3 days ago!
    I didn't even play the vanilla game and its expansion, I instantly installed Third Age, I really wanted to play something in the fantasy tone.
    And I can tell now that I understand all the hype around this mod, I was not a fan of LOTR myself, but I think this mod managed to bring me to that status.
    This is incredibly well done, we can clearly see that you spent tons and tons of time to shape the perfect gem.
    Nothing is never perfect and moreover Medieval 2 ''engine'' has its flaws I think, but damn, this is AWESOME.

So yes basicly, you can still discover this mod by now and enjoy it at the point you spend 1 night without closing an eye.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Just passed by to say thanks

This belongs in "First Impressions" if nothing else because KK will see it there while he does not look at the rest of the forum much. I will ask a moderator to move it.

That being said I am glad that the mod brings someone else to like Tolkien's world. If I may suggest you read the books (or get them as audiobooks to listen to, they are on Youtube). They are amongst the ten greatest works ever written, ranking with Homer and Wagner for their epic scale and quality and with Shakespeare for their beauty. To not have read these books is equivalent to have never smelled the fragrance of a rose or seen a sunset glitter on morning dew.

If I may also suggest you try KK's other Mod; SS or "Stainless Steel" which improves on the medieval world MTW attempts to reflect, and- when we get it finished- "Europa Barbarorum II" that strives to accurately reflect the same period in Antiquity that RTW fails to portray with any accuracy.

One thing fore sure after having beat this mod a couple of times, let say in 2 months, i'll check other M2 mods, though I concede I'm really looking for fantasy background.

Just come back to this after a year or so of other games and i can't praise the mod highly enough for the amazing amount of time and effort put in . TATW was already the best mod for MTW by far but even from 2.0 to 3.2 is like a whole new game being created and so much better in every area . Congratulations on an amazing game that will have longevity and cult status forever !

I now installed 3.2 and sth I want to state - It's just a minor detail, but it has to be said:
    I really like the new look of the menue and the loading screens. they are great and fit good together.
    thx for that

(I know there are separate threads for 3.2, but this is a first impression)

Looks extremely good. I think I'm actually gonna install Medieval 2 for it.
    The Armenian Issue

Default Gratitude

Hi there Third Age Team!
    I wasn't sure if I could post it here, but I just wanted to show my gratitude and thank you guys for making such an awesome mod!

You can clearly see the thousands of hours of work that went into this game and you've really managed to push the M:TWII-engine to it's limits! I never thought "that old game" was capable of so many great things at the hands of you talented modders!

Thank you, this mod has revived the Tolkien-fan inside of me and I even started reading the books again!

Keep up this awesome work!