Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36617677787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1772

Thread: Impressions and Suggestions

Default Re: First Impressions

This is probably the best total war mod I have ever played so much fun playing this and have also have done countless campaigns and Let's plays! keep up the amazing work!

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

I decided to re-visit the game (and TWC) after a 5-year long absence, so after giving it a spin with my old favorite, DarthMod (hey, they had cookies!), I felt like trying something different. After stumbling upon a video on YouTube referring to TATW, and having been reading up on what this mod does, I decided to slap on Kingdoms and try it out. Well, let me tell you, fellows: having your jaw drop repeatedly to the tile floor hurts. A lot! Absolutely a m a z i n g work!

Now, since the thread is about our "first impressions", and since I've only played a couple of quick battles to test out the different units, I can't really comment on the gameplay mechanics in the campaign and such. However, if there's one small gripe I have, it's the battle AI behavior. Don't get me wrong, the AI performs quite well in general, and the battles are deliciously vicious, but I felt my horsemen in particular had had ball and chains attached to their mounts. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it, since Darth's horses were quite the wrecking balls (must be the cookies), but other than that, I'm genuinely impressed with the quality of this mod. Hats off, gentlemen!

I was linked a guide to the top 10 PC mods from somewhere or other and this was on it (he isnt even a LotR fan!) and I was compelled to try it. I have never tried a mod for a TW game before but seeing a highly rated LotR was definitely enough to tempt me.

This was about 2 weeks ago and I have over 100 hours racked up. The detail on the modelling is fantastic, and for someone to literally rebuild all of middle earth through the MTW engine is incredible. I have nothing but good things to say for TATW... there may be some limitations due to the coding of the game but this is easily forgivable given the extent of the mod and the amount of effort that has obviously been put into it.

I could go on, I had loads of things I was going to say in here but really what I already said covers it...

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Default Re: First Impressions & Screenshots

This is my first post at the TWC, in a long time, and it is fitting that it should be in this thread. After a long absence, I came back to see how things were going, and one of the items I noticed was version 3.2 of this wonderful mod. Immediately, I downloaded and installed, and the mod has functioned flawlessly.

Just tonight, I spent two hours ... TWO HOURS! ... in a single battle. I had besieged Minas Morgul with a full stack led by Boromir. My army was well-balanced, with 3 x Gondor Cavalry, 6 x Gondor Spearmen, 2 x Citadel Guards, 2 x Gondor Infantry, 4 x Gondor Archers, and 2 x Trebuchets. On the road to the fortress, I fought a minor battle and was surprised by the number of troll catapults I had to deal with. I immediately besieged the fortress, and decided to starve the garrison into submission. However, on the 6th turn of the siege, I saw a large army consisting of huge numbers of trolls and catapults coming up the road, and decided to assault the enemy.

First impressions ...

Beautiful artwork on Minas Morgul, and although the basic M2TW system of castle assault is still there, there were a few puzzles. My trebuchets took out the fortress gates, and my infantry assaulted in against the enemy. From there, it became a slugfest. When three units of Troll Catapults came up and started firing against my troops, I assaulted them with all of my cavalry. Eventually, the outer ring was cleared, and then I moved into the keep. So, I had another hour of battle, before my forces had mastered the fortress, and Minas Morgul became Minas Ithil.

I lost 704 men (on top of the 129 I had lost in the approach to the fortress), and Mordor lost 1810 orcs and trolls ... the entire complement fought to the last drop of dark blood.

I've got to say that this is definitely the best mod I've ever seen, to any game. Fantastic work, gentlemen.

Haha, yeah, i used to play with the battle timer off and ended up with battles that lasted for hours. These days i keep it on and just accept, if i haven't finished the battle in the allotted time then its a loss. Started doing that once after a 3 hour long battle where i had some awesome cavalry, full chevrons, and last on the field and there were still hundreds of units on the enemy side.

Was just a loooong boring battle of charge, retreat, rest, rinse and repeat. Of course, all units on the field spent most of their time flagged as "Exhausted" and everyone was moving at a crawl. I swore never again.

Thank you,modders.This mod have grown tremendosly since I was last here.Amazing job.Thank you again for all the fun I'm having

AgeMaker's Avatar Foederatus

Absoluty AWESOME!

This is by far the greatest mod i have ever played. I LIVE LOTR! The detail that you have brought to the units, the cities, the terrain is remarkable. You have magically brought the world of middle earth to life and i must say, Tolkien would be proud!

Default Thank you

I have thoroughly enjoyed this mod for many hours of play, and I would like to thank those responsible for the creation of this mod for their hard work and dedication in perfecting a LOTR experience on the Total War engine.

Not really a first impression, but I've over a 1000 hours played on M2TW thanks to this game. Great job everyone!

First post here, but had to register to say just how incredible this mod is! Stunning work, just fantastic, and I believe the best Middle-Earth video game experience that's available.

Here are some critical first impressions after a few failed attempts at a Gondor campaign (Minis Tirith has fallen! :o ) and over 100 turns with the Silvan Elves, having a much better time of it. Maybe this is just my lack of general M:TW2 knowledge, but the campaign map army movement is extremely frustrating on a regular basis. I don't understand how far units can go, how the movement bonuses work (are they for battle map or campaign map, or both? Movement bonus in woods, for example?) or how map visibility works.

I've had several moments where 20 stacks of Mordor orcs or OotMM have literally showed up on my doorstep, appearing from nowhere and besieging one of my cities before I have a change to react. I know what you're thinking, but I have a network of at least 5 spies all across the Anduin valley, at every ford, and at the entrances to The Carrock and the roads around Dol Guldur (Amon Lanc, now.) But routinely, I have massive stacks of orcs ambushing my armies across the Anduin or from within Mirkwood, surrounded by spies, without being spotted. What gives?

Not to mention the horribly annoying fact that Orcs and Elves have apparently the exact same movement and ambush abilities, which is just baffling. How do you ambush Mirkwood Elves in their own forest, without being spotted? I know some of these are simply game mechanics, but it's frustrating when you don't feel like there's anything you can do to predict or scout your enemy. Some of my nobles/generals have been caught badly outnumbered, but I just ran my troops around picking off Orcs with archers until time runs out so I didn't lose them. It's gaming the system, but also a reaction to what I felt was a cheap cornering of my units that couldn't 'withdraw' even though I could physically outrun the entire army on the battle map, lol.

Another thing I don't quite get are how 'reinforcements' work from a campaign map perspective. I've had several times where units were literally right next to each other without counting as 'reinforcements,' and this is also frustrating. I know these things could be lack of knowledge on the Medieval system itself, but that information alone is kind of hard to find. I've read the manuals and several guides, nothing really helps me out.

One more thing, then I'll be done, but what about town/castle buildings from other races? For example, I captured Dol Guldur, and it's full of Orc buildings which it says I can use. However, do these affect my culture rating? I noticed after several turns of occupation, the culture started shifting as the followers of Sauron decreased, but some more information on this would be super helpful for new players I think.

Anyway thanks for the great work guys.. I've gotten more enjoyment from this game in my few weeks of playing than most games can manage. Just a wonderful piece of work, keep it up!

Played 4 hours, probably going to uninstall soon. I have no idea what you guys are playing, because my game is boring and broken. The AI and pathfinding is unable to handle "move forward in a straight line" half the time and shares the Medieval 2 balling up problem when units clash. Waiting 7 turns to recruit more units slows things down and the large but rather empty map slows it even further. Total War is already a fairly methodical and slow paced game, so this mod makes it CRAWL. The battles I've had have felt really underwhelming and clunky, especially city battles.

I'm going to try again in a bit to give it another chance but so far this is painfully to slog through. Did I maybe not install it right or something? I'm patched up to 3.2 like the installation instructions said.

I am mightily impressed! Obviously a lot of work went into this and it looks unlike anything else out there (i highly recommend using the gem mod). There is no other game/mod out there that offers this level of fantasy strategy. A fantasy total war is, admittedly, a dream come true... probably for a lot of us. Even though I'm guessing there are a lot of people who aren't even aware of Third Age. I'll definitely spread the gospel. Installation is a little bit of a hurdle, but after a couple re-installs I'm good to go. Did I mention how impressed I am by how Third Age looks? This is a must play for every gamer.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Bjornishigi View Post
    I'll definitely spread the gospel.
    Spread the good news Bjornishigi; Kong wills it!

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

the most amazing game mod ever just behind the last days mod for mount and blade you guys are a gift from the valar to us im just finished my campaign with isengard and has been by far the best total war experience ever who needs rome 2 im not

I've installed and uninstalled this mod half a dozen times without ever really doing more than playing a few custom battles. For the first time, I started playing a campaign. Playing as Rohan, and I'm about 30 turns into the game.

First Impressions:

Good music, good graphics. Impressed with the overall design of the troops so far, although all I've seen are Rohan, Isengard, and Rebels.

I'm playing on Hard/Very Hard (can't bring myself to jump into VH/VH off the bat!) and have been challenged quite a bit. I've lost a couple of good generals and a town to Isengard. Although... I killed Sauraman! It was a tought battle, but I purposefully circled two of my mounted generals and a group of scouts around the main force to smash into Sauraman. It was risky, but I didn't care if I won as long as I had a chance to take him out. I managed to just barely squeak by a victory... I wound up with just one group of archers left, who managed to route the last enemy unit.

Now who is going to rule Isengard?

I like the ancillaries... I have a general with a couple of Isengard artifacts. The portraits are also nice. What is Wyrmtongue doing?

Having fun with the game, although my system chugged on the War of the Five Kings... not having any problems in the campaign yet, but haven't had any huge battles, either.

I've had a few crashes to desktop... I had to search to find a very weird bug where having automatic daylight savings on your PC can cause battles to crash? What the hell? lol Since, then I've had a crash after a battle was over.. not sure why. Not the buggiest mod I've played... been fairly stable since the daylight savings fix, but I have the feeling it may need some more tweaking.
    Last edited by Lethe; January 06, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Aztecs invading France? The Pope himself charging into battle? Challenging AI that brings the pain? Check out the Expanded Americas mod.

I downloaded medieval 2 and the expansions just for this mod. And this is unbelievable. I'm really new to turn based strategy games and total war so I'm not good at the game but I cannot see myself ever not playing this mod. Great work guys, you're amazing

Beyond awesome.

I played MTW2 vanilla until my fingers bled,back in the day. But eventually I got bored - same old, same old. I lost the dvd and moved on. But last Christmas unable to stomach anymore of the bug testing that CA was serving me up as R2, I broke the promise I'd made to myself of not giving the company anymore of my hard earned and bought MTW2 in the New Year sale. Aah nostalgia.

Well, after downloading and firing up vanilla I promptly dropped it . I don't have a lot of time - and vanilla- well, its vanilla from nearly ten years ago.

Anyway, in the last couple of months I've been hearing rumours of mysterious mods that overhauled MTW2 and put R2 to shame.

Curious, I went to the mod forum and browsed the mods with the most people viewing. Started downloading Stainless Steel and then bumped into this forum.......and my jaw dropped and hit the floor. It's been there ever since. My wife keeps complaining that I'm drooling on the carpet. I've played about 10 hours of a Dale campaign and all I can say is that TW has never been this good. Ever. Not even the first time I fired up Rome 1. Trolls for goodness sake! Trolls! What more can anyone want?

But it's not just the visual goodies, it's the general game play and balancing. The fact that the One Ring is IN GAME and a playable game asset. You shld have seen my face when I got the message from the council about it!

What truly amazes me is that the mods already, what, 3 years old? You've got a beautifully detailed, beautifully balanced, engrossing game - better than anything the vanilla franchise has shipped out -and not just better in a small way, head and shoulders above all vanilla TW games I've played - something which CA can only learn from - so why hasn't CA learnt? Why haven't you all been hired and why aren't you designing their next game and showing them how TW should be? Or maybe you are?

Beyond awesome.

This is great! Got my ass kicked at first when i thought i could simply walk through the black gate with an decent sized army... the horror..

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-too-fat View Post
    This is great! Got my ass kicked at first when i thought i could simply walk through the black gate with an decent sized army... the horror..
    I love the smell of TATW in the morning

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory