Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty:World at War

Default Call of Duty:World at War

Call of Duty. The name evokes images set in WWII that involve massive, intense firefights, as well as Russian, British, American, ()Canadian and Polish soldiers. In this, the fifth game of the franchise, you alternate between a Russian in the last days of nazi germany and an American in the last months of the war in the pacific.

CoD:WaW is without a doubt somewhat unique amongst other WWII FPS games. It has a far different tone than any other WWII game out there, as well as different settings. It can be great fun at times, but at others it can enrage you to the point of crushing your controller with your hands. In this review i'll explain why, providing the pros and cons along the way.

First of all, the gameplay. The gameplay is pretty fun, but they failed to do anything outstandingly new with the formula, so you have very similar "supress and advance" tactics like the ones Modern Warfare had, the same cover system, the same sniper system, the same everything.
    And on the subject of the sniper system, i think its not donne well enough. I know from experience by playing lasertag that holding your breath does not steady your shot much, and that concentration does.
    Anyway, you have a huge assortment of weapons, from the typical American Thompson M1A1 submachine gun to a future-esque Ray Gun(Yes, a ray gun. They put it in as an easter egg. picture--> http://i33.tinypic.com/116j81c.jpg)
    You have lots of gameplay modes, like the much awaited co-op mode. Also, once you complete the single player campaign for the first time, you get the Nazi Zombies mode.
    You heard right, "Nazi-Zombies". In nazi zombies, you, either alone or with other players(up to 3 more i think) have to survive in a building under siege by endless waves of brain-thirsty zombies.

Left 4 dead much?
    They try to brake through wooden barriers(and through a wall in a room at wave five). You can repair the barriers(and the wall) if they suffer damage. Every time you kill a zombie, you get points to buy new weapons or go to the next room(3 rooms in total).This mode can provide great fun for hours non stop, that is if you survive that long. However, you don't get a real sense of achievement and you don't have any rewards for surviving longer.
    Then you have the multiplayer mode, which is the same as Modern Warfare's, which is to say, completely awesome. to know more about just google it up. you can make your own class and give it bonusses.

Now for the difficulty. This game can either be cakerun easy or brakebutt hard. The easy difficulty is just...easy. If you go on the normal difficulty, expect the game to be slightly hard. On hardened, god dammit this game can be hard! It's bassicly hell on earth for veteran difficulty, which is what makes me proud to be one of the people who completed it without suffering a nervous breakdown. What makes the game so hard is the stupid AI. Often the friendly AI will push you out of the cover you're in leaving you out in the open and at the mercy of the enemy. Always, no matter what, on hardened and veteran, the enemy always score head shots, all the time, and always always throw grenades perfectly even though it would be impossible for a person to have a good enough sense of space to do throws like that. This is especially dominant in the level "Burn em' out"
    Burn em' out is the game's hardest level and it's centered around clearing japanese mortar emplacements, usually with a flamethrower. this level is extremely hard since the enemy are perfect shots and never miss with grenades. Dammit, these guys should be on a baseball team!

Now for the graphics. This game is the goriest WWII game ever. Nuff' Said. It bassicly has the same graphics as Modern warfare, but it is way different in the violence department. CoD has never had anything remotely resembling gore until WaW. Sometimes you may think they're overdoing it, but that's until you remember that the veterans actually saw stuff like that. Limbs rip off as you riddle a german with machine gun fire, a japanese soldier screams and screams as you burn him to death with a flamethrower until you pull out your pistol and stop his suffering. Enemy soldiers reach for the bloody stumps of their limbs with their eyes wide open and blood pours out of a japanese soldier's chest when you stab him with a bayonet. He watches his own chest being ripped open, moans and finally drops to the ground.

World at war has a level of violence yet unheard of in WWII FPS games.

Also on the subject of graphics, you have the game's loading screens. Usually people don't give a sh!@ about loading screens, but these are worthy of note. Everything transitions perfectly, interesting facts always pop up everywhere. Did you know that on okinawa the chance of survival were 1 out of 5?

The psychological effect this game has is far different than other ones that evoke a propaganda "hero" image. This game is dark and violent, the mood only being amplified by the music. The music evokes different emotions than other games. Brothers in arms' music is somewhat sad, Medal of Honor's is downright patriotic, this game evokes fear. You never see that in a video game. The way the characters act is not the steriotype'd "Hey fellas i got one!" Kinda thing. The different characters on your side don't cheer triumphantly when they kill someone, if they say anything at all, you can tell they kill out of hate or nescecity(badly spelled?).
    The two sergeants are highly charismatic and distinct. In the american part of the campaign, Sergeant Roebuck is gritty and moody, while in the russian campaign Sergeant Reznov is vengefull, bloodthirsty and patriotic. You also have two privates who reccurr throughout both campaigns. For the americans, you have Private Polonsky, who is kinda useless, only muttering the occasional word. Then you have Private Chernov for the russians, who is constantly scolded by Reznov for being unwilling to kill. Chernov has a much bigger emotional impact due to his dissagreements with Reznov about killing germans who are surrendering.

I'd say the game has great value, and has high replayability. There is a variety of strategies you can use. For example you could ask yourself "Should i use a smoke grenade and sneak around the sides?" or "Should i engage them close up with my shotgun or stay around back and snipe them?"

The achievements you can get on the 360 are pretty hard. You get most of them by completing levels on veteran. You can also get some wierd ones, such as killing three enemies with a single bullet, killing a germain general at sniping distance with a pistol, playing an entire level using only meelee and grenades, and so on.

Overall, i'd give this game a 9/10.
    The gameplay deserves an 8/10(-2 for difficulty)
    the graphics deserve a 10/10 for the realism.
    The replayability and game modes deserve an 8/10 since they are original
    And the emotional impact deserves a 10/10.

Review at a glance:
    Pros:
    -Realism
    -Grit
    -Weapons
    -Emotions
    -Sound
    -Massive Fights
    Cons:
    -Extremely Hard
    -Occasional graphic glitch
    -ENOUGH WITH THOSE GRENADES ALREADY!
    -AI uses aimbots.

Proud creator of the original describe the person above you thread in '09.
    Also proud ragequitter.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Default Re: Call of Duty:World at War

A great review in my opinion, thogh you should not take points off for being so hard because that is what most of the people asked for. the only thing that truely bugs the hell out of me are those freaking grenade throwing fanatics! There is this one part of Burn em Out that you haave to go underground, there is no excape! If the shooting from out of nowhere doesn't kill you the 5 grenades that constantly fly at you will! Except for trying to get up the steps in Berlin into the HQ or whatever that is the hardest part of the game.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeGiOnArY View Post
    First of all, the gameplay. The gameplay is pretty fun, but they failed to do anything outstandingly new with the formula, so you have very similar "supress and advance" tactics like the ones Modern Warfare had, the same cover system, the same sniper system, the same everything.

I would like to touch on the fact that part of infinty wards and treyarchs' deal was that they kept MP, gameplay among other things the same.

^indeed,but something new would of been nicer.

^^thanks. but that's why the game is too hard.
    You can read more of my reviews on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/users/100sta...Bheader%3Bmore
    Last edited by DaLeGiOnArY; April 26, 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Also proud ragequitter.

It would have been but it was either what we got, or nothing

True
    at least we got nazi zombies

Also proud ragequitter.

That was good till Left 4 Dead came out.

it's still good for me!

Also proud ragequitter.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

I don't know, it was a ton of fun at first but I can't get myself to even bother with it after Left4Dead. Still, I shouldn't rip on it too much; it is one of the better mini games I've encountered.

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

Only reason WaW is a decent game is because it's essentially a modded CoD4.

CoD4 still beats it by a mile though.

Btw-good review

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

nice review. just a note on the grenades and difficulty, i like how a nation that is fighting on the steps of their capital building have a million grenades, bullets and rockets. also the soldiers that are old men and young boys all the same height and have perfect accuracy. but i love world at war, i am going through the campaign a second time on veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    That was good till Left 4 Dead came out.
    Left 4 Dead was good... till it became boring after 2 weeks

I think WaW is better then Modern Warefare, WaW just simply grows on you, at first your like "This is retarded" but its great.

I'll kick anyones ass on this forum at it though
    Last edited by Wheelchair; May 04, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
    >>>>> METAL BLOGGGGGGGG <<<<<

I <3 Student Loans
    EVGA GTX580 1.5GB GPU
    AMD Phenom II 955BE C3 3.2GHz @ 19c idle
    16GB G.skill 1600MHz RAM DDR3
    Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Storage Drives
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Asus 2x24" Vertical Monitors + 1 Sony EX500 46" LCD TV
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

Bell FiberOP Internet 70mbps DOWN 30mbps UP

No , you cant kick my ass

Only reason WaW is a decent game is because it's essentially a modded CoD4.

CoD4 still beats it by a mile though.

Btw-good review
    Exactly my sentiments to this "game"..
    Last edited by eddy_purpus; May 04, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

not trying to insult you but i'm glad you are not a reviewer. For a start just because it is really fun online doesn't mean you get to not say the over ending amount of glitches in this game.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    not trying to insult you but i'm glad you are not a reviewer. For a start just because it is really fun online doesn't mean you get to not say the over ending amount of glitches in this game.
    Hmm, What kind of glitches? I've played over 1000 hours worth of the game and Ive yet to run into more then 1 or 2.
    >>>>> METAL BLOGGGGGGGG <<<<<

I <3 Student Loans
    EVGA GTX580 1.5GB GPU
    AMD Phenom II 955BE C3 3.2GHz @ 19c idle
    16GB G.skill 1600MHz RAM DDR3
    Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Storage Drives
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Asus 2x24" Vertical Monitors + 1 Sony EX500 46" LCD TV
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

Bell FiberOP Internet 70mbps DOWN 30mbps UP

Indefinitely Banned

People who read this, i recomend you buy Call of duty Modern Warfare First, simply because of the annoucement of a call of duty modern warfare 2 is comming so it would be good to learn how to play the first with similar weapons to be able to easily asimilate into the second.

I liked this game, it was failrly simple and i enjoyed killing the japanese a little too much (wont go further ). To be honest im not a fan of gun games as always as this is a perfect exsample of a fairly simple plot and not much meat on it when it comes to a story (which is personal preference). However if you like just shooting things really fast in a small area with skins of world war 2 then this is the game for you.

The "not so" secret zombie level however is a gold nugget of joy and is my favorite part of the game. Proof that I even got my sister to like playing lan over this game with me to shoot zombies and she doesnt even like computer games + she is as girl.

those granades ruined this game for me, i wont platinum this game now down to the fact i dont have the time too spend hours and hours overdoing the same parts until i get to a checkpoint, its a nightmare on veteran. I hope MW2 doesnt have this.
    we shall never surrender! - Churchill

A disorderly mob is no more an army than a heap of building materials is a house - Socrates

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

I don't agree that CoD WaW is in any way a "great" game.

Gameplay: probably 6 or 7 out of 10. Multiplayer for me has been important in CoD4 and looking from that perspective CoD5s multiplayer was pretty laughable from the start, and buggy also. Co-op is kinda fun but its naturally too easy to mow down A.I. controlled krauts. The card achievements are nice addition, I liked achievements in TF2 and other steam games.

Replayability: 2-3 out of 10. The only saving grace for this game is the Nacht der Untoten game mode.

Moreover, everything in this game has been seen before in other games. This game is a bit like the yearly same old Fifa soccer game of the FPS genre. Or jsut like the yearly NHL if you prefer it over soccer

Stalingrad ála Zaitsev (has been in every single CoD game that focuses on WW2 = boring and repetitive). US marines fighting the Japanese, meh, mediocre at best... CONSIDERING the cost of the game, there's no replayability value at all really. It must have costed more than 50 bucks when released IIRC.

All the maps are simple and only finishable in one way, sort of "tunnel-runs", everything is scripted and happens the same way. This is actually a problem in pretty much all the CoD games that focus on WW2.

However I agree that Roebuck was AWESOME in the Marine Raiders campaign (voice actor is Jack Bauer from 24, whoever the actor is, cant remember ). Marine campaign was quite good on the WW2 CoD scale, but CoD4 campaign was much better. Again 50-60 bucks just for the Marine campaign is pretty ****ing expensive considering the Russian campaign was pure trash.

But there definitely was a big positive emotional factor in the Marines campaign, the Japanese banzai troops were pretty bad ass, and I really jumped a couple of times when I took cover and suddenly a bayonet toting Japanese runs up to me.

CoD WaW also has numerous factual mistakes. Kingtiger wrecks in Stalingrad maps 1942-43, Kingtiger wasn't even invented yet, hell even the normal Tiger wasn't fielded yet in Russia, at earliest during Hoth's relief attempt I think.

Also the Russian Seelow Heights map was somewhat... strange, at best. I don't think it really went like that or even looked like that back then in 1945. Seelow is represented like this medieval German style village where there are all these Kingtigers roaming around.

In reality it was pretty much hilly (very steep) and forested terrain, that eventually turned out to be a very strong defensive position. I remember some interview on youtube where a Russian tank veteran said that their t34s just kept sliding back down the hill as they tried to attack, also aggravated by the Soviet artillery barrage which created a huge morass of the terrain, bogging down the attacks even further.

Also in the interview video, there's some BS about the assassination of the German general (who's entirely ficteous) and the video at the same time shows General der Panzertruppe Heinz Guderian inspecting tanks at the front and smiling at the camera.

bad game.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

The game itself would be replayable ...
    If the damn weapons were moar accurate and powerful as they were ....
    Town watcher...
    Thats what killed the game for me TW....
    The Accuracy and power of the weapons...

Quote Originally Posted by Wincest View Post
    Left 4 Dead was good... till it became boring after 2 weeks

I think WaW is better then Modern Warefare, WaW just simply grows on you, at first your like "This is retarded" but its great.

I'll kick anyones ass on this forum at it though
    I got every single achievement. Beat that.

Also proud ragequitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast