Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Why are you still playing MTW or Shogun?

Default Re: Why are you still playing MTW or Shogun?

Normally I play VI pretty exclusively. I like a little better than the main campaign because I find the map easier yet still challenging. Also, no Pope, which was always difficult for me to navigate.

Does anyone still have the guides on Glorious Achievments for each faction, and a list of Heros??
    Lawyer by day. Conquering Scottish laird by night.

Quote Originally Posted by simontemplar View Post
    Does anyone still have the guides on Glorious Achievments for each faction, and a list of Heros??
    Here, I think both things you asked are in this link:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...umerology.html

I still play Medieval every once in a while because of the feeling and atmosphere it has, it seems much deeper than the more modern TW games, I like it a lot.

I've played 3 campaigns, completed 2, one as the Almohads, one as the Vikings, and I have an English GA campaign on hold for a few months.

Medieval 2: Total War doesn't work on my computer anymore (you should see the long thread where me and [I can't believe I forgot his name] tried to fix the problem but failed).

"It's me, Smeagol."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I know this is off-topic but would someone acctually reccommend me playing shogun or medieval?

Yes to medeival. I've not played shogun.
    Lawyer by day. Conquering Scottish laird by night.

Quote Originally Posted by bonez899 View Post
    I know this is off-topic but would someone acctually reccommend me playing shogun or medieval?
    Can't recommend you Shogun, 'cause I haven't played it enough, but MTW is a really good game.

It has a Risk style of map, divided by regions, where you move your soldiers and agents like pieces on the map, instead of controlling the actual path of the armies on the land, which I always thought was a bit clumsy in RTW. All the soldiers in a region can do battle when an enemy army enters that region, so battles get really big and chaotic, and when there are enough reinforcements, they can last more than an hour.

The battles themselves feel a lot more important, because the economy is really well balanced, and many times they feel a lot more epic because of the sheer size. You won't be fighting tiny rebel armies every 2 turns like in RTW, most fights have a reason and a consequence.

But probably my most favorite feature is the faction reemergence. While it is probably a lot easier to eliminate a faction here, because here only the adults in the direct male line can inherit the throne, as there is no large family/adoption system like in RTW, the game keeps track of the underaged heirs, and every time a province that once belonged to a "dead" faction revolts, there's a big chance the faction will reemerge with a pretty scary amount of quality troops. This feature alone, keeps you on your toes the whole game, as, if you're not careful, you can get yourself in a dire situation, being a attacked on the rear and the like.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I have rtw m2tw ntw and etw, but I cant play empire or napoleon because they lag so much and take up alot of space. Would you actually recommend me getting the original medieval now? I cant stand the new total wars (no family line, no unique units, crappy dlc's, lag), would buying the really old ones be worth it? Rome was actually my favorite but it doesnt work anymore.

EDIT- also would the game work on my computer, a 4 year old XP?
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; December 14, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

If you won't be disappointed by the 2000's graphics - this is the ONLY one flaw of this game - buy it!!
    Medieval TW is a great game, where almost everything works - battles, AI, game mechanics, immersion and other things. Read this topic, you will know what I am talking about.

MTW also has some problems running on new PC as also on NVIDIA 8xxx/9xxx series. Read about that, so you won't be surprised.

Your 4 years old PC will handle the game better then the new one's actually.
    Waiting for Europa Barbarorum II...

I love Medieval Total War.

I would recommend the original Medieval to anyone. Although I played the first Shogun beforehand, I didn't get hooked on Total War until Medieval 1. It has an incredible atmosphere, especially the music. The gameplay is fun and challenging and it's easily moddable with a great variety of mods to choose from. The graphics may not be all that, but they have a certain charm. Shogun 1 is a good game too, I spent a lot more time with it than I have with the new one (which is my least favorite game in the entire series) and I think that if you play the first Medieval and like it that it's worth checking out.

A computer that's several years old should have less compatibility issues than a newer one, especially with XP. The graphic card seems to be the main issue, but I think it would be fine.

Campaign in the original medieval was the best. You've got civil wars, religious turmoil, risk map made the ai work better, and best of all you've got that [insert appropriate word] of a pope always foiling my plans. I once ended up assassinating him 7 times, and invading the papacy 4 times but still he came back and ruined all my plans, plunging my kingdom into a horrendous civil war, resulting in my being unable to fend off the turks!

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Never played STW.

On MTW: ""How on EARTH did half the stuff in here not make it into M2TW!?!" Dismounting knights before sieges, [...] the complex and actually interesting tech trees, not to mention the campaigns for different periods. I was dumbfounded, and have been ever since, as to why these features were ditched?" I agree with this.
    And: I also liked the fact that all captains are actual characters with talents and flaws that can be given titles. Often, they were historical figures (or at least bore historical names). The campaign mode was easier to handle for the AI, which made AI behaviour better and the campaigns more challenging.

On the other hand: The siege battles were poor compared to RTW or M2TW... no siege towers, ladders, no men on the walls... and although I don't give too much importance to "looks": it's hard now to enjoy the visuals after RTW and M2TW.

Still, MTW has a special place in my gamer's heart as one of the most addictive games I ever played.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

The options for sieges may have been less vibrant in MTW, but it makes up for that with having actually functional siege mechanics. Something got cocked up in the transition to 3D.

As for me, I play STW because I don't have STW2 yet, and it's a blast from my past. I play MTW because it's the best in the series.

grandpa's Avatar Elite Bytebumbler

I own both, and often play STW. I have an Xp, and have founs that when I ever have a problem, its because the multiple cores today. Alleviate that by starting the game, Ctrl, Alt, Dlt to task manager, select the game, right click on it.....set affinity , select one core...viola...it now works like a charm.

I can honestly highly reccomend both. Shogun Total War, Warlords edition, and Medieval 1...Awesome!!!

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

It doesn't cost a dime to be nice yet has the highest return
    on investment. grandpa

Played Rome 2 for a couple days got sick of it and went back to Medieval 1. The new versions of TW games have no tactics like that of Shogun/Medieval.

Medieval 1 is the best vanilla TW game. I played Rome 2 for exactly 4 hours before shelving it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I feel the old games were made for grown-ups, whereas all the new games are made and marketed for kids and teens.
    This...
    Quote Originally Posted by danielrech View Post
    That aside, MTW stills hold a special place in my heart, for it was my entry into the series. Some specific features were great, such as being able to dismount knights before a siege and the epic battles with more than 9 stacks. I remember battles against the mongols that would literally take all night long to play, since I had to pause a lot to micromanage to save troops for the next wave of mongol reinforcements.
    That... M2TW SS, every campaign is a massive effort to keep Lithuania down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious the Conqueror View Post
    It has a Risk style of map, divided by regions, where you move your soldiers and agents like pieces on the map, instead of controlling the actual path of the armies on the land, which I always thought was a bit clumsy in RTW. All the soldiers in a region can do battle when an enemy army enters that region, so battles get really big and chaotic, and when there are enough reinforcements, they can last more than an hour.The battles themselves feel a lot more important, because the economy is really well balanced, and many times they feel a lot more epic because of the sheer size. You won't be fighting tiny rebel armies every 2 turns like in RTW, most fights have a reason and a consequence.But probably my most favorite feature is the faction reemergence. While it is probably a lot easier to eliminate a faction here, because here only the adults in the direct male line can inherit the throne, as there is no large family/adoption system like in RTW, the game keeps track of the underaged heirs, and every time a province that once belonged to a "dead" faction revolts, there's a big chance the faction will reemerge with a pretty scary amount of quality troops. This feature alone, keeps you on your toes the whole game, as, if you're not careful, you can get yourself in a dire situation, being a attacked on the rear and the like.
    The other...STW is an awesome game, MTW took it a step further, but what happened after that? For CA, graphics trumped gaming; if you want great gaming in the TW series, download XL for MTW. I'm having such an awesome time playing MTW XL that it's hard to fathom how much $ I spent on other games in the series that I hardly even played due to lack of immersion. So disappointing that R2TW is the first one I have no intention of buying, ever, and the reviews here back up my whole "I'm not paying to beta-test any more games" position.

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus Magnus View Post
    This...That... M2TW SS, every campaign is a massive effort to keep Lithuania down...The other...STW is an awesome game, MTW took it a step further, but what happened after that? For CA, graphics trumped gaming; if you want great gaming in the TW series, download XL for MTW. I'm having such an awesome time playing MTW XL that it's hard to fathom how much $ I spent on other games in the series that I hardly even played due to lack of immersion. So disappointing that R2TW is the first one I have no intention of buying, ever, and the reviews here back up my whole "I'm not paying to beta-test any more games" position.

XL?
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrotatos View Post
    XL?
    One of the biggest vanilla oriented Medieval mods. More units, more countries, more everything. Not really changing but adding things.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...l-Total-War-XL
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...988-MTW-XL-Mod
    "Its a GUNDAM!"
    "Nope. This is Polish Winged Cavalry."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678