Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit sizes, bring it down?

Libertus

Default Unit sizes, bring it down?

First of all I find the Darthmod a great mod, but one thing I find very dispointing and that is the commander edtion. The changes that have been made are good expact for the increased unit sizes. Sure it looks more epic but not everyone has a good pc. Since the installement of the commander edition the loading times for battles have gone up and I am seening lots of pathfinding problems with that sort of huge units.

I personaly think the units size should be brought back to the ''normale'' darthmod sizes, before commander edition, or atleast give 2 seprate downloads, one with ''normale'' and one with commander edition size units.

I whas planning to make a poll but i don,t know how to do that. So i will post some ''poll answers''

1. Agreed bring down unit sizes
    2. Disagree its good as it is
    3. 2 diffrent downloads

That is all.

edit:
    Swiss Halberdier, ultra whas meant to be be for fast pc, so you could have more units on screen. But not everyone can run ultra, I whas talking more or less vanilla normal.

edit: Thx super sparky for your usefull comment which didn,t had any sarcasme in it. But as some els said ive you have the commander edition and you set your unit scale to small its still ultra.
    Last edited by NATOguns; April 25, 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: edit

Daeger's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Unit sizes, bring it down?

Don't download the commander edition, change your graphics settings or even better, buy a new PC. Isn't that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Halberdier View Post
    You can change the "UNIT SIZE" in the options of the main menu to "normal" = approximately "ultra" of vanilla version.
    exactly just change unit size to small or normal

Daeger, the point of his post was that he enjoys playing darthmod, just not the supreme commander edition, and that he'd like darthmod back

-

and not everyone's got a mommy and daddy that are willing to buy them fancy desktop's.

i agree though, if it bothers you that much man you can change the unit sizes yourself.

paleeagle's Avatar Civis

Although I do agree that not everyone has a super computer. I have yet to come across any problems with this.

After all, not every battle in the campaign is epic.

I have what by todays standards to be a pretty pants computer, but I am still managing to run on my normal settings with unit size on ultra.

I have only had a small (and I mean very small) amount of lag so far in 1 battle. I had 1500 men and the enemy had 4500.

When the larger battles come (and so far I have had very few in campaign mode) I will just turn down the graphics settings like trees etc and it should be fine.

I am following the graphics recommendations set out somewhere in the main forum of ETW and I have to say the best one to follow is about the Anti Aliasing.

Mine is turned off in game and set to X4 direct from the graphics card. Apperently this works better and it really does.

My comp just so you can see it is not that good is.
    AMD Athlon duo core 4600+
    Nvidia 8500GT graphics card
    2gig Ram.

Most of my settings are on high although the grass is turned off and so are most of the tick boxes at the bottom. Still looks pretty good though.

Just my 2 cents sorry for rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeger View Post
    Don't download the commander edition, change your graphics settings or even better, buy a new PC. Isn't that simple?
    I hate these answers...really really useless

Quote Originally Posted by paleeagle View Post
    Although I do agree that not everyone has a super computer. I have yet to come across any problems with this.

After all, not every battle in the campaign is epic.

I have what by todays standards to be a pretty pants computer, but I am still managing to run on my normal settings with unit size on ultra.

I have only had a small (and I mean very small) amount of lag so far in 1 battle. I had 1500 men and the enemy had 4500.

When the larger battles come (and so far I have had very few in campaign mode) I will just turn down the graphics settings like trees etc and it should be fine.

I am following the graphics recommendations set out somewhere in the main forum of ETW and I have to say the best one to follow is about the Anti Aliasing.

Mine is turned off in game and set to X4 direct from the graphics card. Apperently this works better and it really does.

My comp just so you can see it is not that good is.
    AMD Athlon duo core 4600+
    Nvidia 8500GT graphics card
    2gig Ram.

Most of my settings are on high although the grass is turned off and so are most of the tick boxes at the bottom. Still looks pretty good though.

Just my 2 cents sorry for rambling.
    You just don't remember where the graphics recommendations are posted?

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

I remember that 1.0 have a version that don't change unit size
    why 1.5 dunt have?
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

there are threads in darthmod empire where guys have modded darths 1.5 with a standard unit patch...just download that

Miles

i dont have the game back yet... but i figured i would browse the forum for new action... do the unit sizes effect rank_fire? because i thought only three ranks could do this???
    Slovenic by birth, Christian by the Grace of God.

WWI Total War Mod Member
    Družina Kagana

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252549

heres the thread, works well...

playing vh/vh and in 1776 no probs........enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail Tomasovic View Post
    i dont have the game back yet... but i figured i would browse the forum for new action... do the unit sizes effect rank_fire? because i thought only three ranks could do this???

yeah only the front 3 fire...........but with more troops your line is huge! with massive volley's, so yeah loads more bang, watch cavalry charges be obliterated...

Laetus

I think Darth said this about like few weeks ago.
    He won't make it on separate mod since unit scales can be changed easily.
    If DM CE's normal (which is roughly ultra on vanilla) still kinda big for you, you can use following tool.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235225

This is saved campaign unit multiplier by Vladan.
    You can change unit scales to any number you want. I used this tool to correct my unit scale bug in saved game.(number of men in a unit does not match with its description.)

Modders invest their precious time in creating mods. For this kind of problem, modders don't have to put their another time in it. We just need 5 minutes to dig forums and find tool or solution by our selves.

You can't just change unit size to small it only gives you one cannon per battery.

You can change the "UNIT SIZE" in the options of the main menu to "normal" = approximately "ultra" of vanilla version.
    Except the units differ in sizes and artillary is reduced to 2 cannons. Grenadiers are 125 units, line are 150, and militia are 200.

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

The main downside of this for me is the naval stacks have a max of 10 on Normal size...

Personally I would like to see a small reduction, to the equivilent of using Large units sizes with Darth's mod (which is exactly what I do to be honest) simple of the game play reasons that the maps are not made for units that big. All those entering building issues and such go away with the line infantry around 250 and militia around 300...

Why ask for the reduction rather than be happy playing on Large? Well the neat frreak in me balks at seeing units with 283 men when at full strength..
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Like BayonettFodder said, just use this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252549

paleeagle's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by VINDIC View Post
    You just don't remember where the graphics recommendations are posted?

unfortunately no i dont. It was a long time ago I tweaked my graphics and I dont go in the main forum anymore.

It shouldnt be hard to find. I think it was stickied.

Edit. I did a quick search and this was the guide I used originally. Not sure how much it has changed since then, there is another one also they are both in the technical help thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233186

Edit Edit: the thing about the anti aliasing is on page 3 post 42. of the same thread. Though I am not sure if this is still true as patches could have changed things since then, maybe someone can comfirm.
    Last edited by paleeagle; April 25, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

Whoever told you to turn on 4x Anti-Aliasing on a 8500GT doesn't know very much. You are taking a serious performance hit when turning on AA/AF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast