Thread: Unit and Upkeep Costs

Default Unit and Upkeep Costs

Hi

I think your mod is absolutely fantastic and has really improved the game for me. My only concern personally is your decrease in upkeep and increase in costs for units. I understand that is your personal preference and its you mod but my question is - if i delete is_units in pack manager will it bugger up your other changes/ ai balance etc

Default Re: Unit and Upkeep Costs

that was my innitial reaction too, but the unit cost thing really works out if you give it a try.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Yes, it is great!
    Losing a battle now hurts and you are not instantly confronted with the next stack. I LOVE this new system, though I was sceptical about it in the beginning, to say the least.

This is probably my favorite part of this mod and why I play it over darthmod. Money is actually an issue now and I have to plan my wars much more carefully. Before playing IS I had so much money after 40-50 turns I could recruit seemingly endless stacks and build every upgrade. Now I actually have to pick and choose what building upgrades are most important to my economy. And if I lose a full stack I have to retreat and rebuild for a few turns before attacking again. It gives the AI a needed advantage because now they have a chance to retrain their armies as well.

Theoo's Avatar Centenarius
    wherever diplomecy needde!!! hehe just are kidding im iceland from

wel i agree with muskettoon more unit cost isnt my thing. it was to slow pace and boring to me when everything was like. super expansive. ive had is_units delted for a long time now and i havent noticed any buggs or anything like that so i dont think so..

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Yes, it is great!
    Losing a battle now hurts and you are not instantly confronted with the next stack. I LOVE this new system, though I was sceptical about it in the beginning, to say the least.
    Agree, and losing a fleet or even half a fleet can be devastating, as you spend a lot of money and time constructing them (same as in the real world). This has caused me to be a lot more careful with my sea battles and not just carelessly throwing ships into a battle.

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Yes, it is great!
    To encourage me to take care of my stacks better, I went into the preferences file and changed auto-resolve to Hard. Your losses will be between 40-60% with even stacks, which absolutely cripples your army. That encouraged me to fight all my major battles myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86 View Post
    To encourage me to take care of my stacks better, I went into the preferences file and changed auto-resolve to Hard. Your losses will be between 40-60% with even stacks, which absolutely cripples your army. That encouraged me to fight all my major battles myself...
    Oh that's brilliant. Where's this file?

Nevermind. I found it, and edited it. Yay me.
    Last edited by The Vicar; April 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

i also prefer the reduced upkeep. its nice to be able to build a larger army without going broke. like it was mentioned above, this is one of the main reasons i choose IS over DM right now.