Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I found out I'm part Belgian

Default Re: So I found out I'm part Belgian

Belgium:great beer,taste choclate, inventor of chips or other name french fries,and to,one of the land's that made as it know is The EU,Brussel is great captial of Europe.long live Antwerp and Belgium
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

now if only the belgians could be as united as the europe they helped make...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

He's Belgian too, you're in good company.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Strange though, he's from Bruges but doesn't speak freaky deaky Dutch.

Then again in Bruges they speak dialect quite unlike standard Dutch, but I doubt the writers knew that. Just like the writers didn't knew that a Dutch character, Gold Member, wouldn't go around saying Scheisse.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Please remain on topic.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Maraud wrapped it up quite nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovril View Post
    Belgium is a country that has not existed for long, it was established in 1830. You may do better to inquire into the history of the Flemmings, Waloons and so on. For much of the Medieval period, what is now Beligium was largely part of Flanders. During this time many of the great Gothic buildings of Belgium were constructed. Anyhow, I'm sure you can find histories of the Low Countries (Belgium and Holland) on Amazon or where ever.
    Make that the history of the Netherlands. And Flanders is just a very tiny part of the dutch speaking Belgians, that is historically speaking. There is an awefull pars pro toto in these lands. So to get it straight. Flanders nowadays refers to the whole of the dutch speaking part of Belgian though it used to be only a county, there were other important lordships like the duchy of Brabant, etc. So no, Flanders is pretty small in the medieval period and does by no means coïncide with what is now Belgium, hardly 1/10th.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Ah man I'm sorry dude.
    At least you're not Dutch lol...oh wait are you Flemish?

Quote Originally Posted by Slurricane View Post
    Recently found out that the grey area in my family history (my dads maternal side) were Belgian. Could somebody help me find some info about Belgian history as I do not know much. Any Belgian people around here?
    Belgians do not exist, you are either flemish or walloon

Quote Originally Posted by Generaal Van Heutsz View Post
    Belgians do not exist, you are either flemish or walloon
    To an extend you may be right. But the name 'Belgium' did not simply drop out of thin air. When you live in this country the fact is that - despite being from the flemish or walloon part - you wield the Belgian nationality, it's on your passport so it is very much real. And yes in a way this is very artificial, but being that all nationalities are artificial, this is not abberant in any way. Als keep in mind that historically the Netherlands were always speaking about 3 different languages (to generalise, since we should be talking about dialects and this would get an even longer list) and always coëxisted, there is nothing weird about flemish and walloons living together as Belgians in one nation, Belgium.

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    To an extend you may be right. But the name 'Belgium' did not simply drop out of thin air. When you live in this country the fact is that - despite being from the flemish or walloon part - you wield the Belgian nationality, it's on your passport so it is very much real. And yes in a way this is very artificial, but being that all nationalities are artificial, this is not abberant in any way. Als keep in mind that historically the Netherlands were always speaking about 3 different languages (to generalise, since we should be talking about dialects and this would get an even longer list) and always coëxisted, there is nothing weird about flemish and walloons living together as Belgians in one nation, Belgium.
    They can put european citizen on my passport but that doesn't make me european, I am still dutch. The begians were an ancient celtic tribe who lived in the area of present day Belgium.
    btw: I have spent a long time in Brussels, I can tell walloons and flemish apart, they look differently (and also dress differently too) but the faces are very distinct.

They can put european citizen on my passport but that doesn't make me european, I am still dutch. The begians were an ancient celtic tribe who lived in the area of present day Belgium.
    What part of the historical context of the Netherlands always being an area with various languages where ppl coëxisted and were served in their own language (no matter which province), did you not understand? The Belgian context is not abberant. Historically we were part of a larger area stretching to the north of the Netherlands and the north of France, but that is a different matter. The 1830 seperation may be a sad fact, doesn't make it any less over and done with.

And you are what you're passport says, even if you think yourself as a Martian, you'll still pay taxes to the Belgian government if that's what's on your passport.

btw: I have spent a long time in Brussels, I can tell walloons and flemish apart, they look differently (and also dress differently too) but the faces are very distinct.
    Btw, I am Belgian. But whatever. Telling them apart? Yeah, that just took away a lot of your credibility but whatever.
    Last edited by gaius valerius; April 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

2CV's Avatar Laetus

This whole nation idea is redicilous. The problem is, the nation is just a construction that, especially in the last 2 centuries has caused more than wrongly cooked chicken. If we follow the nation idea, I'm part Belgium, part Frisian, part Zeelandic, part German, part blablabla. It's the biggest nonsense. It only gives an indication my family lived in Belgium, they adapted a value-set that fitted the time/place frame and that's it. There are no ancient (be it Batavian, Belgic, all nations have a sorta myth like that - the proto brave ancenstor) tribes that for some reason moved all over in the time of the romans, to settle themselves for 21 centuries, with zero movability at all. Ofcourse there have been tribes in that time, but to say that 'The Belgium people' of 'The Dutch people' were that specific tribe that lived there, is way too far fetched, people have been remarkedly mobile (even in medieval times).

All I can say is, do not take the obscure lies following out of nationalist sentiments of the 18th and 19th century too serious. I see myself as European and an European citizen and if I lived in the USA I would see myself as American of European descent. It's nice to know where your family came from, but do not take the Belgium (or Dutch/French/German thingie too serious, it's all been in flux till around the 18th century, when someone came up with devilish idea of the 'nation' (and especially the German idea of it, was it Herder? I like Revan's idea better).

Hah, this is just stupid. There is zero difference between Walloons and Flemish on a genetic level except for the normal geographic variance.

And dress different? What the? Someone missed the memo about Belgians not having national garb, nor the Walloons/Flemings.

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I thank that Belgium and the Netherlands would both be better off today if we stayed together. Instead those French speakers had to ruin it .

There's still a big posibillity of Flanders one day joining with the Netherlands, especially seeing how many things we have in common.

I hope for one Netherlands in the future, having all the Historical Netherlands into one country.

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    I thank that Belgium and the Netherlands would both be better off today if we stayed together. Instead those French speakers had to ruin it .

There's still a big posibillity of Flanders one day joining with the Netherlands, especially seeing how many things we have in common.

I hope for one Netherlands in the future, having all the Historical Netherlands into one country.
    I'm happy with the current one. Anyway, I would like to thank the Belgians for the revolution in 1830, since we didn't have to face the consequence 80 years later...
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Well, if we stayed one country its possible that plan never came to be . As the Germans would know that if united we would kick some German ass .

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well, if we stayed one country its possible that plan never came to be . As the Germans would know that if united we would kick some German ass .
    Maybe, or the Belgians could backstab us in our time of need and an independent Belgium would be created. Speculating about history is always fun.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Only that HISTORICALLY those "French speakers" are just as much a part of our common heritage as the dutch speakers. And the "French speakers" as you call them were the elite who were disgruntled by the new rule, not really by the language they spoke.

Yes, and they didn't like that the northern people treatened there wealth and elite status. Thus making the small differences bigger then they were and starting the rebellion.

Yeah.... No.

Read up on your history, your knowledge of our split is severely lacking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast