Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinuhet's formations

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Default Sinuhet's formations

Sinuhet's ETW formations, Update: version 2.0, April 5, 2010

Download Link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2390

Not all material in this first post is current, it is the old thread for the version 1.2 from the year 2009. Nevertheless, it is quick for me to revive this old thread than write the new one.

To see the new things in the version 2.0 try it. The snapshots are misleading in any way now. It is now about a bit different function of the groupformations compare to the vanilla, than about the mere sorting of the respective units in the rows ....

--------------
    Version 1.0

Hi,
    I have changed some things in groupformations.bin file and repacked them as a standalone mod. I have tested them thoroughly with Imperial Splendour mod version 1.067. The released version is the "minimalistic" version with only several, but in my opinion, optimal tweaks, which add to the playability. Less is sometimes more, and it is very true for these bin "packed" formations till the time we will have the modding tools from CA...
    I take them as a stable version, no beta, but I do not grant that there could not be any strange behaviour after installing them in your modified game. Let me know eventually, if there will be any problem, including the settings, in which you have used them ...

Enjoy them and the ETW, bye Sinuhet

--------------

Version 1.1 is expanded with several changes in the AI formations for european and "colonial" factions.

--------------

Version 1.2: added new formations for the middle eastern factions, tweaked the system of the European factions; this version is developed on the IS mod version 1.068, with no problems as for compatibility; this version of my modded formations for ETW seems to be a finished product now as for new possibilities of the group formations for various factions made via hexediting the sections in the .bin file, which control the usage of formations by the AI according to the faction name, AI priority and, to some extent, as for the numbers of the infantry or cavalry units (the numbers for artillery units are untouched)
    I have gone in the way of the minimalistic changes, it is maybe only my taste of the newly assigned parameters, which are adding more variability as for AI formations; I have "cloned" and edited the original ones from vanilla only; on the other hand, these changes are not based on any historical research, and you may feel that changes are a bit strange as for military history of the factions. However, it seems to me to be a bit more challenging in this way, and a bit more funny compared to the vanilla formations.
    Please, dont blame me or my edited formations as for various suboptimal behaviour of the battle AI, which is completely formations-independent.

----------------

Pictures of the modded formations in the Game (mod version 1.2 related):

Ottomans with the French Monstrous Column Formation

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Russians flanking them with Polish Right Flank Formation

Austrian Cavalry flanking with the Polish Left Flank Formation the Prussian army formed in the Prussian Double Line Formation

Austrian Cavalry acting now in the rear of the Prussian army formed in the Prussian Double Line Formation

Prussians with 6 Line Infantry Units in army formed in the Generic Double Mixed Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Mixed Formation) instead of the usage of the Prussian Double Line Formation in vanilla

Spain using now the Generic Double Line Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Line Inf Formation) instead of the usage of the Double Line Screened Formation in vanilla

Venetian army formed in the Generic Double Mixed Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Mixed Formation) instead of the usage of the Double Line Screened Formation in vanilla, where Pikemen would be in one line with Line Infantry Units. Pikemen are acting now like a substitute of the Light Infantry in their one of main functions ("Kannonenfutter") + act in this position as a buffer of the Cavalry Attacks.

France using now also the Generic Double Line Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Line Inf Formation) instead of using only the French Monstrous Column Formation almost in all situations in vanilla

Approaching Spanish Attacker using now the Generic Double Line Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Line Inf Formation) against USA Defender formed in the Generic Double Mixed Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Mixed Formation), instead of the usage of the Double Line Screened Formation for both in vanilla

Great Britain using now also the Generic Double Line Formation (a new one created from Middle Eastern Line Inf Formation) instead of using only the British Thin Red Formation frequently in vanilla. Compared to vanilla, they hold this formation, i.e. are not switching in attack in the Double Line Echelon Left/Right, which is mainly reserved for Native Americans now.

Last edited by Sinuhet; April 05, 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: update - version 2.0
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

Default Re: Sinuhet's formations

Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhet View Post
    Sinuhet's ETW formations version 1.0

Hi,
    I have changed some things in groupformations.bin file and repacked them as a standalone mod. I have tested them thorouhly with Imperial Splendour mod version 1.067. The released version is the "minimalistic" version with only several, but in my opinion, optimal tweaks, which add to the playability. Less is sometimes more, and it is very true for these bin "packed" formations till the time we will have the modding tools from CA...
    I take them as a stable version, no beta, but I do not grant that there could not be any strange behaviour after installing them in your modified game. Let me know eventually, if there will be any problem, including the settings, in which you have used them ...

Enjoy them and the ETW, bye Sinuhet

Link:
    Where's the link?

Sounds good btw.

link added, sorry mate, I am slow ...

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi Sinuhet,

It's good to see you again !

+ REP !

sgt_melin's Avatar Semisalis

Im not sure I do understand, what exakt do this mod do? screenshots?

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_melin View Post
    Im not sure I do understand, what exakt do this mod do? screenshots?
    if this is anything like what the previous formation mods by Sinuhet has done,we will be seeing better starting formations for the ai as well as the player,as well as different usage of said formations during the battle proper,going have to give it a go to know for sure though,but from past experience this is quality stuff

Holy crap Sinuhet's back!

Looks like my weekend just got more interesting *+rep*
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

Kave-In's Avatar Libertus

In custom battle the AI got stuck when I added this mod (shouting forward but not moving).. The only other mods I'm useing are unit/flag ,texture mods/blood/sound. Any ideas?

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh, it's nice to see you. I have no doubt this is class, your RTW mods were spot on Can I ask, do you know if they are compatible with Darth's mod? I don't think he has done anything to this file... however best to be sure

Hello Sinuhet! Great to see ya again!

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

i like how the french forces advance in column now rather than line,and from what i see they have no issue forming into line of battle come time to do so...but hell I will say they pack a hell of a punch when it comes to bayonet if they are still in this column formation,like a hammer through a pane of glass

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Good to see you here sinuhet, looking forward to future projects you release. + rep
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Thank you for re-invitation to the forum, it is nice to see the growing community ...

I have tested today some expansions to the basic version of the formations for ETW. They appear to be stable now also with the other more complex changes in the original vanilla (to be exact: in the patch No. 4 included .bin file) groupformations.bin compared to the version 1.0 of my release.

@ Kave-in: what do you mean exactly with the "stuck" word, passivity of the AI army?, crash of the game?, please, give me more detailed info about your problem. Also, try the 1.1 version just released, is the problem the same also with this version ???

Thanks you all for positive feed-back, bye S.

Can someone describe what this mod does? I have not used a "formation" mod before
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

Hi mikeCK,

briefly, it changes the way the units are used in "formations" in the battlefield by the AI. These are not the formations for the only one unit, but for the units grouped into the "whole army" or several "sections" of the army. By this way, it is possible to change the feelings from battles a bit compared to the original vanilla game...

By

This sounds great, cant wait for DELAYED patch to come out and fix naval invasions , so I can try this out +Rep

Hello, old friend and rival.

I have not touched formations yet. You have surpassed me. Happy to see a competition progressing in this sector. Let it begin.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Nice job, will try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Hello, old friend and rival.

I have not touched formations yet. You have surpassed me. Happy to see a competition progressing in this sector. Let it begin.
    Ave DARTH VADER!

Nice to see you. Well, I think that the real gold era of the competition in ETW formations modding will start from the moment we will have them "un-packed" from the .bin file by future CA modding tools. Then and only then we will have the same freedom in modding them like in RTW .

Bye Sinuhet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast