Thread: Fingers crossed for the upcoming update.

Default Fingers crossed for the upcoming update.

Just had a look at the Yuku patch update thread for Empire, and it looks like the almighty gameplay patch v1.0 will be out on Tuesday or Wednesday...so as said, fingers crossed, and hopefully Darth can find a way to force naval invasions to occur :p

Details here : http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/srepl...ly-Update.html

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Default Re: Fingers crossed for the upcoming update.

I like that they are working so much on updates, but I dont think AI will improve that much. I dont argue about the fact CA making intelligent AI, I just think the AI makes it to easy for the player to win. Slow expansion, often letting the player build up his forces instead of making pressure on poor defended regions.

He wrote about the aggression issue of the campain AI, what does he mean? The AI was to passive not to aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    He wrote about the aggression issue of the campain AI, what does he mean? The AI was to passive not to aggressive.
    Maybe both ways - smaller nations won't attack you so readily, and the major nations will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    His wording is ambiguous, it could be taken that the AI is too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

Both of which are true, I think. Minor factions are stupidly aggressive with DoWs. Small nations shouldn't declare war at the drop of a hat. On the other hand, the AI is very passive when it comes to actually using forces.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro View Post
    His wording is ambiguous, it could be taken that the AI is too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

Both of which are true, I think. Minor factions are stupidly aggressive with DoWs. Small nations shouldn't declare war at the drop of a hat. On the other hand, the AI is very passive when it comes to actually using forces.
    I see now I think you are right. As long as the gameplay feels right he can write on his daily updates what he desires^^.
    Last edited by Rammstein; April 24, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

A quote from their post
    I'd also like to take this opportunity to talk about Naval invasions if I may. The technology behind naval invasions is actually really rather heavy and is still causing some issues. The gameplay upgrade will make naval invasions possible but they will be rare. The AI now has a proper mechanism for the planning involved and can execute that mechanism when required, however increasing its frequency is a balance issue we haven't been able to get fixed in time for this upgrade. So in short, naval invasions are now possible and may occur, but they will not be frequent, which means we have to up that likelihood.
    I will try to translate that:

The "old" AI engine we take from our previous games doesnt know how to work with several maps and then the AI, even being able to load troops into ships, wont be able to send them to the required locations.

At least, that is what i understand, that and the fact that they released an uncompleted game, like if you buy a car with only 2 marchs and you have to wait a few month to get the other 3-4 (if you ever get it)

I wouldnt care if the AI invasion was script, but it has to happen at some point. like england and france sending an army to india at some year or so. I understand how hard it can be to program an AI this sofisticated, but there are ways to make it simpler but less good.
    I wish they had released this so called gameplay update with the vanilla version and released the game only at this point, but I know there will always be bugs, so I personally dont care they release it earlier buggy and fix it or release it only when rdy. I just want to be able to play at some point.
    Last edited by Rammstein; April 24, 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

I only hope they fix the bug and release documentation and tools.. even M2TW at its best state is unplayable withot mods.. so the sooner we get the data to start working on mods the better..