Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical Battles - Relaunches

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Historical Battles - Relaunches

I just decided to give the historical battles free for the submodding, as i won't ever have the time to fix them, and high probable nobody else of the ChivTW team as well.
    Atm. we have only one working historical battle 'Hastings', just after i took time to fix that for version 1.0.

There are a lot more available (so to say complete "prepared", but not working atm.):

- Acre
    - Bouvines
    - Cedynia
    - Civitate
    - Hattin
    - Manzikert

Original Credits: These Historical Battles were done by Khor Khan in 2006.

-> As for several unit code changes since 2006 (unit name changes and ownerhips), these battles aren't working.

A RTW coder could quite easily figure out, what's to fix to get these battles working (but of course needs quite some time, experience within this department 'Historical Battles' is recommended).

DL-Link: removed

So if somebody makes them proper playable, please offer the dl-file in this thread, as an add-on installation for the official ChivTW version.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 18, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Historical Battles - Relaunches?

I have made some historical battles for Rome Medieval 2 TW (a RTW mod), and some other addons for the same mod. I'd like to help with the historical battles issue, just PM me if you allow me to work on them and I'll start right away.

Some of my work can be found here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=297764
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=307709
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=326964
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=305613
    Last edited by Mataputas; February 04, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
    There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

You are more than welcome

Patrician Artifex

@ Mataputas

Battle files uploaded again, first post. Good luck.

When the battles are provided, you can, if you want, offer the installation in the submod forum (should be based on ChivTW v1.051).

Later, when Atheno will release the official ChivTW update, then he'll integrate them into the full mod, credits are a sure thing for you.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 04, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Just one thing: I've noticed that there is no script.txt for the HB's. Is this ok or the scripts exist but they were not included in the file? Just the descr_battle.txt? Just to know and not to make unnecessary work. I'll start working tomorrow on the HBs...

Patrician Artifex

My recommendation:

Checkout the mod, you can play the included Hastings HB as usual, like any HB.
    Then check the files, an explicite script file is not necessary within ChivTW's HB's.

Yes, I have the game installed and I have already played Hastings. What I meant was that, for example, for intro sequences, each historical battle needs its own script.txt. The HB will work without it, I know, but most of the times playability can be improved with a good script.

Thanks for your quick answer. I'll start working on the historical battles right away.

Patrician Artifex

Yeah, feel free to create the scripts

Update:

All the historical battles are fully playable at the moment. I have some issues with the generals' names (historical inaccuracies) due to the absence of some of these names in the names.txt and descr_names.txt. The problem with those files is that I'm not sure if it's enough adding the names to the names.txt, and adding more names to the descr_names.txt will result in having more names in the campaign... so I decided not to change any of these files.

I'll add some details (such as specific UI cards for generals and some intro sequences), and then I'll post them here. I might take 1 or 2 weeks more, as I'm working on other stuff at the same time.
    Last edited by Mataputas; February 16, 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataputas View Post
    Update:

All the historical battles are fully playable at the moment. I have some issues with the generals' names (historical inaccuracies) due to the absence of some of these names in the names.txt and descr_names.txt. The problem with those files is that I'm not sure if it's enough adding the names to the names.txt, and adding more names to the descr_names.txt will result in having more names in the campaign... so I decided not to change any of these files.

I'll add some details (such as specific UI cards for generals and some intro sequences), and then I'll post them here. I might take 1 or 2 weeks more, as I'm working on other stuff at the same time.
    good job mate!!!!

Update:

I have finished with the named characters' UI cards. I tried to add portraits to those generals of which I could find good images.

I am also making Agincourt HB, as an additional battle. The only problem I have is that Henry V should be infantry, but in this mod, the English don't have any infantry unit capable of been a general. I may suggest adding a unit to the EDU (I can do it) which will be available just for the historical battle ("no_custom" character, no building to train them in campaign). But I need your approval to do so.

you could use dismounted knights with better rates!?!?

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

I am also making Agincourt HB, as an additional battle. The only problem I have is that Henry V should be infantry, but in this mod, the English don't have any infantry unit capable of been a general. I may suggest adding a unit to the EDU (I can do it) which will be available just for the historical battle ("no_custom" character, no building to train them in campaign). But I need your approval to do so.
    Good work Mataputas! although Agincourt is really out of this mods timeframe. However do what you must to make it work the way you want. And even if Agincourt doesnt make it in the official build your efforts are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Athenogoras; February 17, 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenogoras View Post
    And even if Agincourt doesnt make it in the official build your efforts are much appreciated.
    Ok, it could be a separate addon... but in that case I will not modify the EDU so that people who download it don't have compatibility problems if they want to play online.

Patrician Artifex

Update:

I have finished with the named characters' UI cards. I tried to add portraits to those generals of which I could find good images.

Good to hear about the progress

As for the additional infantry general: I'm not quite sure that you can still add models, iirc, i filled up all model-slots, so the best advice is to take indeed the dismounted feudal knight, or a bit stretched the so-called black knight, if he shall look extraordinary from other foot knights (ie. if already positioned). But, Atheno is of course right, that Agincourt is in fact an exceeded content for ChivTW, as the models/textures don't fit really, so perhaps skip this Agincourt idea?

However, when necessary, and if you find out that you can still add model(s), then do so - and feel free to add also other code-lines if necessary to any files (ie. names), which need it for HB's, the only requirement is, that you make a hint that you did it in the file itself just for HB's, and where possible, add the entries at the bottom of the file (ie. edu, dmb).

Ok, it could be a separate addon... but in that case I will not modify the EDU so that people who download it don't have compatibility problems if they want to play online.
    Generally, you can change files, as said as above. Just make a list of file-changes in your separate HB release, and the hint, that certain changes can make it incompatible with the current official release for online-games.
    Those changes go later into the official update version, but as for Agincourt, i think we keep that out of official versions.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 17, 2010 at 06:19 PM.

Update:

Historical Battles released. This is not the final release, as I'm planning to add some more battles and some new scripts. To install it, just unrar into the RTW folder.

Download links (interchangeable):

Megaupload
    Rapidshare
    2shared
    MegaFile

File size: 5.87 Mb

Note #1: This addon will replace the following files:
    - descr_names.txt (data folder)
    - descr_names_lookup.txt (data folder)
    - names.txt (data\text folder)
    These changes may result in the addition of new names in the campaign and incompatibility with other players (who haven't installed this addon). Remember to make a backup copy of the original files.

Note #2: To have all the addon stuff fully operative, it is necessary to install the alex compatibility patch for Chivalry TW (and RTW: Alexander as well...). If not, small features (i.e. UI cards, chronological order of battles) will not be available.

Note #3: Manzikert battle may CTD when loading. The current walkaround is simply to play it just when you start the game (not after playing other battles).
    Last edited by Mataputas; February 18, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Cool ... perhaps you have time to offer some screenies?

Anyway, i'll make an announcement thread.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Re: Historical Battles - Relaunches

Great job!
    Finally after so long time the battles are fixed.

@mataputas
    I hope you are planning to add the battle of Manzikert for your next update
    If you need background infos, photos of the terrain and the composition of the army just tell me and I'm available.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; February 18, 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    @mataputas
    I hope you are planning to add the battle of Manzikert for your next update
    If you need background infos, photos of the terrain and the composition of the army just tell me and I'm available.
    I think Manzikert is already included in the .rar I uploaded. Please, confirm this.
    Anyway, it's good to know that you are well-informed about that battle, as I'm planning to add an intro sequence (following the real prebattle facts)

EDITED:

Yes, I see what you mean... it's true that Manzikert tends to crash very frequently when loading. But I've checked the script several times and, as far as I know, there is no visible error in it. The battle is just "unstable". I suggest closing the game and starting it again in order to play it without problem. I'll write thet down on the first post...

And now... the screenies:

Cedynia:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Civitate:

Manzikert (working =P):

Hattin:

Acre:

Bouvines:

Example UI card:

Sorry for not making all of them with movie cam... they were too many to play them all in 1 hour...
    Last edited by Mataputas; February 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Well, well, thank you. When these original historical battles are final (with all fixes/additions), then we will, as said, add them to the next official ChivTW release (all due credits belong then the makers of that stuff, written down in the credits lists).

Mataputas, if you will create still other new historical battles, then those will run as pure submod material within this subforum for all future. I suggest, that you make a new thread for that purpose, so we have the things properly divided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast