Thread: Tips for WRE, 434 AD

Default Tips for WRE, 434 AD

I'm not the only one who finds playing as the WRE addictive- fighting off hordes of barbarians, reclaiming what once was and doing it with the title 'Augustus'-things don't get much more epic.

But, like everyone else, I've also come to realise how incredibly difficult and frustrating the campaign can become. I end up with massive army upkeep due to huge garrisons struggling to keep order within newly conquered cities and armies becoming tied down due to this. Since most of my money is put into happiness buildings I rarely, if ever, have enough cash to spend on financial buildings and pretty soon even the starting provinces are rebelling against me!

So here's a thread where all people who have successfully played the 434 WRE campaign can help others out. What did you find effective? What wasn't effective? Cheers, look forward to replies

Default Re: Tips for WRE, 434 AD

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
    I'm not the only one who finds playing as the WRE addictive- fighting off hordes of barbarians, reclaiming what once was and doing it with the title 'Augustus'-things don't get much more epic.

But, like everyone else, I've also come to realise how incredibly difficult and frustrating the campaign can become. I end up with massive army upkeep due to huge garrisons struggling to keep order within newly conquered cities and armies becoming tied down due to this. Since most of my money is put into happiness buildings I rarely, if ever, have enough cash to spend on financial buildings and pretty soon even the starting provinces are rebelling against me!

So here's a thread where all people who have successfully played the 434 WRE campaign can help others out. What did you find effective? What wasn't effective? Cheers, look forward to replies
    Aenima, can you write down a few things to start what did you find effective? What wasn't effective?

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Hi Aenima,
    there are some buildings that "help" economy and happiness (as Food Trade tree, Burials tree), but even different buildings sequence that help each one together, as Roads - Market - Farms (a building giving happiness only after Maket is useful ...).
    Exterminating population in newly captured towns (with different culture) destroying all possible different culture buildings (carefullly anyway ...), and recruiting as many Western Peasants as possible can help you to keep people at least with blue face, while building Burials - Metal Trade - Food Trade - Horse Trading - Academy - Christian Church. Can be long and risky, but it worked for me in my previous 434AD Campaign.
    Finally in 434AD Campaign I chosed which land to keep and which land to leave, looking in the map the easier lands to defend (mountains, rivers...)

ayeaye Sir

PS it's the right time to ask for "modification", while Rio is patching ...

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Aenima, can you write down a few things to start what did you find effective? What wasn't effective?
    • Armies almost completely Foederati, Roman troops cost too much for an early economy
    • Restarted a campaign and am moving to wipe out the Visigoths. Seems much better than going for the Franks, as the Franks are fairly passive early on in the game whereas the Goths are fairly aggressive.
    • As Margio mentioned, building trading stores and horse farms is actually pretty cost effective providing it's done on a large scale
    • Building advanced Blacksmiths allows Liminatei to become incredibly cost effective warriors and are the bulk of my frontier garrisons

Quote Originally Posted by margio View Post
    Hi Aenima,
    there are some buildings that "help" economy and happiness (as Food Trade tree, Burials tree), but even different buildings sequence that help each one together, as Roads - Market - Farms (a building giving happiness only after Maket is useful ...).
    Exterminating population in newly captured towns (with different culture) destroying all possible different culture buildings (carefullly anyway ...), and recruiting as many Western Peasants as possible can help you to keep people at least with blue face, while building Burials - Metal Trade - Food Trade - Horse Trading - Academy - Christian Church. Can be long and risky, but it worked for me in my previous 434AD Campaign.
    Finally in 434AD Campaign I chosed which land to keep and which land to leave, looking in the map the easier lands to defend (mountains, rivers...)

ayeaye Sir

PS it's the right time to ask for "modification", while Rio is patching ...
    Thanks mate, tips are helping quite a lot in my current campaign, am sitting on about 100 K and have no fear of losing any of it!

As for the whole modifications to patching...

• Could the Roman upkeep system be revised? I find it mad that Legionary units cost twice as much as Foederati per turn, despite the fact other factions pay as little as 400 for their own elites
    • On the first turn the WRE Faction Leader is Gallus, but once the script is activated, he's killed and Valentinanus succeeds him. It's no biggy, but if Valentinanus can automatically be the Faction Leader I figure it'd be a lot simpler

Not especially much to complain about, and those are only suggestions

Also, is it possible for me to rename a city once I conquer it? I'm pretty sure it can be done in some mods but I don't know if the script in BRG disables it. Cheers

Thanks mate, tips are helping quite a lot in my current campaign, am sitting on about 100 K and have no fear of losing any of it!
    Be careful...Glad your campaign is going well

As for the whole modifications to patching...

• Could the Roman upkeep system be revised? I find it mad that Legionary units cost twice as much as Foederati per turn, despite the fact other factions pay as little as 400 for their own elites
    • On the first turn the WRE Faction Leader is Gallus, but once the script is activated, he's killed and Valentinanus succeeds him. It's no biggy, but if Valentinanus can automatically be the Faction Leader I figure it'd be a lot simpler
    Not especially much to complain about, and those are only suggestions
    I like suggesstions and I may rep for em

The foederati made up the Roman army during this era .This can be argued why its historical downfall but its possible to break free from this and once again turn your empire into the armies it once was...if you dont it will be disaster for you will have to in order to fight the best of what factions will throw at you...If anything I will tweak it.

Very high upkeep represents the incredible inflation of the time. Its truly the most difficult and trying Roman period.

Also, is it possible for me to rename a city once I conquer it? I'm pretty sure it can be done in some mods but I don't know if the script in BRG disables it. Cheers
    I know you can do that with the orig bi...dont think you can with it modified...never did I check this lol
    Last edited by Riothamus; April 29, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod