Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing mode

Bythesword's Avatar Civis

Default Firing mode

Their has been alot of controversy about platoon fire.
    It's expensive to learn in the campaign, and doesn't improves the firing rate or accuracy at all.

Is it possible to make it more effective or replace it with fire by rank?

It also would be nice to let elite units have the opportunity to release a single volley that greatly affectes the morale of the charging enemy. (Incase platoon firing stays, you could let them pull the triger at the same time)

Suggestions please,
    Last edited by Bythesword; April 23, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    Great fan of Metternich as politician.
    Austriae Est Imperare Orbi Universo, Emperor Frederik III

Default Re: Firing mode

Platoon firing is fairly interesting, I've seen it stop cavalry charges stop dead in their tracks and give up - almost as good as the square formation. That said, it wouldn't help with charging infantry.

You have a point there I suppose....

I reckon fire by rank is powerful as it is....I had a a line infantry of 199 men walk up to mid-close range with a 268 men strong line, and when my men finished off their rank fire, they were down to 183 men > >

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1ST RANK

2ND RANK

THIRD RANK

Last edited by GuiltyBoomerang; April 23, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Unit it is fixed it's been removed from the game as far as I know.

It would be quite interesting to see full battalion volley's from elite units. It would clearly devastate any charge.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Bythesword View Post
    As most of you know, platoon firing is kinda worthless.
    Exemple #1 : you move your guard at range of an ennemy. You shoot immediatly after stopping. Rank have to reload.
    Exemple #2 : your ennemy is under fire 100% of the time, 15% of the time with rank fire
    Exemple #3 : instead of aiming 3 times, your unit aim 15 times, meaning your guys will stop shooting the same targets.

People actually modded units's stats so they had the same, and put rank fire vs platoon. Platoon was winner.
    Last edited by L'Ost; April 23, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Hygienism is feudalism.
    OBEY

Don't think by yourself, apply dogma instead.

In my version they always lose from a group line infantry. Especially the bigger groups.
    Platoonfire is to slow.

And stop calling me a noob,

I've said suggestions,

My gaurds lost a toe to toe combat fight vs austrian line (I used austrian gaurds).

I think rank fire would greatly increase the effectiveness of the elite units, because they reload faster and have more accuracy than the line infantry.

It is slower - when 2 companies come into range the rank fire unit can shoot sooner (platoon fire needs the company to spread out and takes time).
    Rank fire can discharge all of it's weapons quicker than Platoon in the 1st salvos, that means the platoon firing side has less men to fire with from the word go.

Depending how stretched out long the line is with platoon fire also means fire by ranks can actually cycle quicker. If it takes a unit to cycle all it's weapons 23 seconds, a LONG row of platoon firing troops can take longer to fire all their weapons, regardless of reload times. Rank fire also takes benefit of reload skill increases with experience - with platoon fire the guys at the start are usually stood there twiddling their thumbs waiting for the line to finish firing, this is a waste of time and doesn't happen with rank fire - the ranks fire as soon as they have re-loaded which is more efficient.

Platoon fire needs an sizable accuracy bonus, not sure how that is done in the game though.

if ur on the flank of the enemy you want to use platoon fire cause you can start as soon as the front rank gets into range and should be decimated as soon as it hits the far side of your range
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Pietrak's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
    It is slower - when 2 companies come into range the rank fire unit can shoot sooner (platoon fire needs the company to spread out and takes time).
    Rank fire can discharge all of it's weapons quicker than Platoon in the 1st salvos, that means the platoon firing side has less men to fire with from the word go.

Depending how stretched out long the line is with platoon fire also means fire by ranks can actually cycle quicker. If it takes a unit to cycle all it's weapons 23 seconds, a LONG row of platoon firing troops can take longer to fire all their weapons, regardless of reload times. Rank fire also takes benefit of reload skill increases with experience - with platoon fire the guys at the start are usually stood there twiddling their thumbs waiting for the line to finish firing, this is a waste of time and doesn't happen with rank fire - the ranks fire as soon as they have re-loaded which is more efficient.

Platoon fire needs an sizable accuracy bonus, not sure how that is done in the game though.

you have to position your troops well. Just as rank firing is useless in formations with more than 3 ranks, so the ranks of the platoon drill have to be adjusted.

Plattoon fire sucks if you are mobilizing and the ennemy is waiting for you, but it rocks when it is the ennemy that comes into range. That's how it is.

Also the commander guy who fires a pistol in the middle of the company holds things up - whenever I have platoon on I watch the line and the 1/2 half seem to fire quite quickly, then it stalls around the middle and then staggers to the end.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Bythesword View Post
    And stop calling me a noob
    edited my post, afterall, we don't know eachother.
    Anyway don't say "as most of you know this is worthless", it's not.

exemple #4
    - your platoon is larger than your rank, one cycle after the platoon hit more than three line of the rank
    - your rank is larger than your platoon, one cycle after the platoon lost only 3 first ranks.
    Last edited by L'Ost; April 23, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Hygienism is feudalism.
    OBEY

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
    Then you have to wait without moving 30 sec to shoot again.

By that time the platoon can move around you flanking you and shoot as soon as it stops. so you face the platoon ? Then you waste time to reload. (see exemple #1)
    Hygienism is feudalism.
    OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by L'Ost View Post
    edited my post, afterall, we don't know eachother.
    Anyway don't say "as most of you know this is worthless", it's not.

exemple #4
    - your platoon is larger than your rank, one cycle after the platoon hit more than three line of the rank
    - your rank is larger than your platoon, one cycle after the platoon lost only 3 first ranks.

Ill edit mine aswell, but I think gaurds would've more superiority with a the reload bonuses and accuracy bonusses when they use fire by rank.

It's important to form a 3 ranked squad and place them at good altitude. But I rather use my line infantry, especially because in fact of Austria (my fav faction) they are so huge that you can compensate the gaurds.

so will it be possible in the future to mod the type of fire from platoon to rank??

Djûn's Avatar ॐमणिपद्मेहूँ

You'd think with all the firing drills they would add more buttons in the game. It wasn't uncommon to see a mass volley from line infantry in which the first rank knelt and the second rank fired simultaneously. Unfortunately, these are just things you have to deal with. I haven't tested much with platoon firing in DM Commander, but I feel rather worried that platoon firing might end up firing more slowly than fire-by-rank simply due to the sheer scale of the units.

Quote Originally Posted by dune42 View Post
    You'd think with all the firing drills they would add more buttons in the game. It wasn't uncommon to see a mass volley from line infantry in which the first rank knelt and the second rank fired simultaneously. Unfortunately, these are just things you have to deal with. I haven't tested much with platoon firing in DM Commander, but I feel rather worried that platoon firing might end up firing more slowly than fire-by-rank simply due to the sheer scale of the units.

Exactly, because 5 rank deep doesn't work with platoonfiring.

So I guess on Ultra/large you really need fire by rank.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

I agree on the commander edition platoonfire really sucks and should be removed. I dont know why darth hasnt deleted it yet (for the commander edition only). But maybe the next CA patch will improve it anyway. Its sad for CA that there are 3 firing modes but only fire by rank is working. fire and advance messes up AI and platoon fires to slow.
    Last edited by Rammstein; April 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM.

Decanus

Ok, I was talking about multiplayer so vanilla. :/
    Hygienism is feudalism.
    OBEY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast