Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Zixor View Post
    Can I get the names of some violent forms entertainment enjoyed in history? From any culture and any time in history. The events in the Roman Colosseum such as the gladiator bouts would be a popular example. Thanks.
    Depends what you consider violent really, does it have to include violence between humans?

If not then there are probably thousands of examples, bullfighting and hunting being the most obvious that spring to mind. But here as a few more:

Bear Baiting - Elizabethan England http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear-baiting
    Cock-Fighting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight
    Dog-Fighting - Its what Pit Bull Terriers were bred for.

Involvnig men we have:
    Tournee's - literally mock battles between up to 100 knights using real weapons.
    Football - Not the game of today, but a no holes barred fight for possession of an inflated pigs-bladder. The game actually evolved regionally with different shaped balls being used and quite sophisticated courses being chosen to increase both the difficulty and the enjoyment of the contest. In England the revised version was often called "camp-ball". In Cornwall it was called "hurling", and in whales it was termed "cnapan". In these alternative forms of the game a person could use any method needed, even horses, in an attempt to move the ball across the opponent's goal. Injuries and fatalities were not uncommon, as the rules were few and the referee's few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Depends what you consider violent really, does it have to include violence between humans?

If not then there are probably thousands of examples, bullfighting and hunting being the most obvious that spring to mind. But here as a few more:

Bear Baiting - Elizabethan England http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear-baiting
    Cock-Fighting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight
    Dog-Fighting - Its what Pit Bull Terriers were bred for.

Involvnig men we have:
    Tournee's - literally mock battles between up to 100 knights using real weapons.
    Football - Not the game of today, but a no holes barred fight for possession of an inflated pigs-bladder. The game actually evolved regionally with different shaped balls being used and quite sophisticated courses being chosen to increase both the difficulty and the enjoyment of the contest. In England the revised version was often called "camp-ball". In Cornwall it was called "hurling", and in whales it was termed "cnapan". In these alternative forms of the game a person could use any method needed, even horses, in an attempt to move the ball across the opponent's goal. Injuries and fatalities were not uncommon, as the rules were few and the referee's few and far between.
    Yes, I should have mentioned I was looking for violence between humans. Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't seem to find info on the Tournee's in either wikipedia or google. Does the practice go by any other name?
    Last edited by Zixor; December 06, 2009 at 03:22 AM.

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Zixor View Post
    Yes, I should have mentioned I was looking for violence between humans. Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't seem to find info on the Tournee's in either wikipedia or google. Does the practice go by any other name?
    Jousting maybe? I think he meant the business of two knights riding against each other with lances, Ivanhoe style. As for other forms of violence, Pankration is pretty violent Greek boxing, but more of a sport than purely entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos11 View Post
    Jousting maybe? I think he meant the business of two knights riding against each other with lances, Ivanhoe style.
    No I didn't, but I couldn't find anything on Tournee's either. However, supposedly they were full scale mock battles, with both knight and foot soldiers involved, probably similar to the ones the Roman's organised only these were more oriented to training than pure entertainment.

Koelkastmagneet's Avatar Vicarius

I have to do this history report on Hitler, particulary the circumstances that caused his rise and formed his character, any good sources?
    ☻ This is a random collection of symbols. He's tired of you abusing him.
    /▌\  Don't copy-paste this if you know what's good for you.
    / \

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownEntity View Post
    I have to do this history report on Hitler, particulary the circumstances that caused his rise and formed his character, any good sources?
    Well, some points would be :

Anti-Semitic politics in Austria when he was young
    Taking part in WW1
    Wanting revenge for the Treaty of Versailles and the treatment of German people in it
    Joining the National Worker's Party
    The Beer Hall Putsch
    President Hindenburg
    Control of the Police and Armed forces
    Japan and Italy's friendships and eventual alliances

Those are all I can think of at 23:40 at night
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I am looking for some old fridge commercials to use in my current science assignment about chlorofluorocarbons, would be great if it would be a quite upbeat and positive commercial but anything will do. Been searching on Youtube and haven't found anything of any greater use, is there a website out there that archives old commercials?

Any help appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownEntity View Post
    Probably, your best bet is to start with Wiki, and then work through some of the references listed.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H..._rise_to_power

But if you look in the references you'll find various sources quoted such as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Simon & Shuster. Which you might be able to get hold of through your local library.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Longbowman View Post
    I am looking for some old fridge commercials to use in my current science assignment about chlorofluorocarbons, would be great if it would be a quite upbeat and positive commercial but anything will do. Been searching on Youtube and haven't found anything of any greater use, is there a website out there that archives old commercials?

Any help appreciated
    Yes, my son works for the company that archives and resells UK commercials.

http://www.tellyads.com/

Have a look on there, though it would help if you knew the brand names of a few fridges, as the site is geared up for selling the ads on a brand specific basis.

konny's Avatar Artifex

No I didn't, but I couldn't find anything on Tournee's either. However, supposedly they were full scale mock battles, with both knight and foot soldiers involved, probably similar to the ones the Roman's organised only these were more oriented to training than pure entertainment.
    This one was called the buhurd (also buhurt or bouhourt) and indeed was the original form of tournament; that of the periode of William Marshal.

The single combat (tjost) indeed was a rather late developement and today only due to modern perception (Hollywood etc) considered the only way of tournament.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

Oh! well done at least you found something.

Koelkastmagneet's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Well, some points would be :

Anti-Semitic politics in Austria when he was young
    Taking part in WW1
    Wanting revenge for the Treaty of Versailles and the treatment of German people in it
    Joining the National Worker's Party
    The Beer Hall Putsch
    President Hindenburg
    Control of the Police and Armed forces
    Japan and Italy's friendships and eventual alliances

Those are all I can think of at 23:40 at night
    Probably, your best bet is to start with Wiki, and then work through some of the references listed.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_rise_to_power

But if you look in the references you'll find various sources quoted such as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Simon & Shuster. Which you might be able to get hold of through your local library.
    Well thanks for trying to help, (it didn't really help that much, tbh, sorry) I finished it and because I can hand it in tomorrow I'll get +0.5 points yay

I could post it somewhere if you want to see how it turned out.
    Last edited by Koelkastmagneet; December 11, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
    ☻ This is a random collection of symbols. He's tired of you abusing him.
    /▌\  Don't copy-paste this if you know what's good for you.
    / \

I have to do a paper on famous criminals between 1925-1936 in America. I have Al Capone and Dillinger. Can anyone help give some names and or websites?
    Got nothing...

Kyrill's Avatar Libertus

look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangster there are list of gangsters.

like:

Prohibition (1919-1933)

Kyrill's Avatar Libertus

@ theunknown about Hitler, you can also discuss points about his denial at the Acadamy for Art, about the very bad relationship between him and his father (Alois Schicklgruber changed his name on 23 november 1876 into Hiedler witch looks like Hitler.)

yust saw u already finished it.

Kyrill's Avatar Libertus

anybody got some book titles about the American Independence War? i need to get more information for my article (im in my exam-class and this is a part of my exam)
    because i got alot of stuff already, made another article about the Battle of Yorktown, it was in total about 55 pages (37 pages of my 20 important sources) so i don't need information about that

Yersinia's Avatar Libertus

Can anyone name one good thing that Mussolini did to alleviate disease in Italy?

I've searched through all of my textbooks but I can't find anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Yersinia View Post
    Can anyone name one good thing that Mussolini did to alleviate disease in Italy?

Can't find anything, other than he took away the states monopoly over life insurance, wether or not that was a good idea depends on your ideology.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Yersinia View Post

All fascist leaders (Hitler, Mussolini and Franco) were non-smokers, and Hitler actively advocated non-smoking. Maybe Mussolini did a similar thing and told people not to smoke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Mussolini drained, reclaiming the land, the Pontine Marshes near Rome, which was a breeding ground for mosquitoes which spread diseases. Once this was gone, so were the mosquitoes, and so were the diseases.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus