Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

I'm doing AP Euro and I need help with one question. Who is the "real" winner of the Thirty Years' War? It could be France or Sweden. The war is inconclusive, seeing from the Peace of Westphalia.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

You should search the VV a bit, I remember someone made a very good thread about that topic not too long ago. Apart from Sweden and France, one ought not forget to mention Switzerland and the Netherlands, who were the ''cleanest'' winners, achieving recognition of their independence and autonomy, even though both were already de facto independent before- but they had not guaranteed it like the Westfalian Peace did later on.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Thanks for your help guys. I guessed France on the test and I got it correct. However, it's also important to emphasize that Switzerland and Netherlands also "won" because they won their independence, and some kudos to the Swedes too for its military achievements and some concessions in Germany such as Vorpommern, Bremen-Verden and Wismar.
    Last edited by Hetman Khmelnytsky; September 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal of Carthage View Post
    Thanks mate, I'll look into all of them.

Guderian played the major role in the blitzkrieg, maybe him, but your right to say no one should get full credit.

If anyone has other stuff to add, I'm looking to get as many topics to look into as I can
    There's also Marcus Furius Camillius, who instituted the Camillan Reforms for the Roman army. This is when men were sorted into military classes based on wealth (Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Rorarii, etc.)

Hello everyone, I need some help to find material about the various archaeological cultures(both Indo-European and not) in northern Europe 3 - 2 millenium BC. Cant find anything good myself, so if you know anything good, either available online or a book, that'd be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Do you have access to JSTOR?

As an AP Euro student who's struggling a bit, i'm preparing for a test, can someone please try to explain the reign of Frederick William of Brandenburg-Prussia (The Great Elector) in a nutshell please? Preferably 2 paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetman Khmelnytsky View Post
    As an AP Euro student who's struggling a bit, i'm preparing for a test, can someone please try to explain the reign of Frederick William of Brandenburg-Prussia (The Great Elector) in a nutshell please? Preferably 2 paragraphs.
    Hey there,

Friedrich Wilhelm (1620-1688) is often seen as the founder of the ''Prussian'' state. With only 20 years of age he was crowned elector of Brandenburg in 1640. The first years of his reign saw the end of the Thirty Year's War, during which Brandenburg had been sacked and pillaged by different sides and Friedrich Wilhelm could do little to stop it, so the first years were just getting through the crisis. Brandenburg's military was, at that point, barely existing, and would run away from any proper enemy. After securing the state's sovereignty in 1648, Friedrich Wihelm started to enhance Brandenburg's position, which can be summarized in four areas:

1. Military. He formed new forces and improved the education of the officers. In 1655, on the outbreak of the Second Nordic War, he could muster 18 000 men and joined the war on Sweden's side. Despite their early successes in Poland, the tides turned and Friedrich Wilhelm retreated from the theatre of war to save Brandenburg through the treaties of Labiau (1656) and Olivia (1660) [More on that in point 2). His forces were well trained in the following years and that proved vital during the Swedish- Brandenburgian War (1674- 1679). At the battle of Fehrbellin in the summer of 1675 the Brandenburgian cavalry won a decisive victory over Europe's best army, the Swedes. Following that victory, Friedrich Wilhelm went on to annect most of the Swedish possessions in Pommerania.

2. Prussia. The treaties of Labiau (Sweden) and Olivia (Poland- Lithuania) brought recognition for Friedrich Wihelm's rule over the duchy of Prussia, which had come under Brandenburg's rule by heritage. However, as the duke of Prussia, the elector of Brandenburg had still been a vassal of Poland. That changed in 1660 and led to a stronger rule of the rich Eastern province and the wealthy city of Königsberg. During his rule, Friedrich Wilhelm repeatedly fought with the senate/council in Königsberg, but eventually succeeded to secure their loyalty with mostly diplomatic means.

3. Economy and Immigrants. The economy of Brandenburg in 1640 was weak and lacked everything a strong state needed. By simple means, Friedrich Wilhelm improved that situation drastically: Both the Hugenottes, Protestants from France, and the Jews of Vienna, who had to flee from their former homes, were invited to Berlin and settled in Brandenburg. Furthermore the elector, who had studied at Leiden and was a great admirer of the wealthy and progressive Dutch Republic, invited many Dutch technicians, architects, artisans etc into his electorate. Together, these groups brought a wide array of new skills to the economy of Brandenburg- Prussia and modernized it.

4. Mentality. When teenage Friedrich Wilhelm returned from Leiden and later led hundreds of Dutchmen to Brandenburg, they did not only bring skills with them, but also a different mentality. The Dutch were (and possibly still are) both very liberal people, open to the rising Enlightenment and sciences, but also reliable workers- the famous ''Protestant work ethic''. Accuracy, Precision, Discipline, Loyalty and so on became Prussian values and helped both the armed forces as well as the economy. Of course there were still differences between Prussian and Dutch mentalities, but the Dutch immigrants taught the Germans effectiveness and financial success (Yeah, for some people it was on the expense of humour and relaxed manner )

Apart from these, he also built many new buildings and was known as a family person, who really loved his wife and his mother (both had a great influence on his court as well).
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Im reading a bit about Napoleon just for interest, and I do not see why Napoleon decided to attack Russia when they were his allies? I mean sure, they might not have followed every law he demanded they had to follow(not 100% if it is true, just assuming), but surely the smart thing to do is first deal with Great Britain and THEN challenge Russia instead of both at the same time, which would obviously make other nations France had subdued rebel against Napoleon and make him end up with even more enemies...

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Im reading a bit about Napoleon just for interest, and I do not see why Napoleon decided to attack Russia when they were his allies? I mean sure, they might not have followed every law he demanded they had to follow(not 100% if it is true, just assuming), but surely the smart thing to do is first deal with Great Britain and THEN challenge Russia instead of both at the same time, which would obviously make other nations France had subdued rebel against Napoleon and make him end up with even more enemies...
    Officially Napoleon invaded Russia to protect his ally The Grand Duchy of Warsaw from Russian aggression. In truth it had more to do with enforcing the Berlin Decree of 1807, which banned all trade with Great Britain. Napoleon was unable to enforce this decree at sea and so had to impose conformance on land. Russia conformed half-heartedly from 1807 to 1810 and British trade had been reduced by between 25% and 55%, however in 1810 the Russian's finally had had enough of the loss of trade revenue they were sufferring as a result and began openly trading again with Britain. This despite the fact that Russia had earlier acted to enforce the treaty on Sweden when it continued to trade with Britain in breach of the decree.

At this point Napoleon really had no choice but to invade Russian and put a stop to the blantant challenge to his authority. This was the same reason he also invaded Portugal, which was another non-conforming state.

In practice, Napoleon could not invade Great Britain as he could not get his army across the channel. He could instead have put more focuss on the the invasion of subjurgation of Spain and Portugal, but in practice plugging that gap in the continental blockade of trade with Britain would have achieved little if Russia was an open door into Europe for British merchants. He also had a problem with the newly formed United States of America, who were blantantly trading with Britain against his decree, and French privateers operating off the coast of America were taking a heavy toll on American ships throughout this period to try and stem that illegal trade, just as the Britsh were trying to stop the Americans trading with France. However, the French were far more ruthless and refused to provide any compensation for the goods they seized, it was to combat their privateers that the Americans began building the large heavy frigates that were destined to become famous later in the war.
    Last edited by Didz; October 21, 2013 at 05:57 AM.

1. How did the War of Spanish Succession (especially the Treaty of Utrecht) and the Seven Years War affect colonialism in the Americas?

2. How did the War of Austrian Succession start?

1. I'm not an expert here but the Seven Year's War brought about a total victory for the British both in North America and Canada. France lost almost all of it's colonies (apart from Lousiana and some islands) and would later look to Northern Africa for colonies instead of farther away lands- basically this meant, after the demise of the Dutch as a rival in colonialism in the ate 17th century as well as the decline of Portugal and Spain, that the rise of the British Empire began with these two wars (Spanish Succession and Seven Year's, especially the latter). Two generations later Napoleon wasn't really interested in colonies and sold the huge territory of Lousiana, so that after 1815 Britain really dominated the seas. But it started with the victories in the Seven Year's War.

2. In short: In 1740 Holy Roman Emperor Karl VI. died and because he had no son his daughter Maria Theresia followed him as the regent of Austria & the HRE. However, she needed the other rulers to give their support to her case individually, because she - as a woman- couldn't become Empress. Instead, she was only crowned Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and acted as Archduchess of Austria. Now we have to look at Prussia, where the Hohenzollern Dynasty had accepted Habsburg overrule more or less for 150 years without really appreciating it. Especially after the Prussian state grew more powerful by the reforms of Friedrich Wilhem the Great Elector (see above, when I helped you out before ) and Friedrich I., who crowned himself king in Königsberg (notice: It had to be outside the HRE) it became unbearable for some people to accept Habsburg's/Austria's leading role in the German lands (and beyond).
    Now when young Friedrich was crowned as the new Prussian king in the same year that Maria Theresia came to power, he was eager to withstand Austrian domination. Although initially agreeing to support Maria Theresia's claim, he couldn't resist the opportunity to seize Silesia. Then that triggered an alliance system and brought other sides into the conflict who had an interest in weakening Austria and making conquests in Germany (France) or in avoiding exactly that to happen (Britain).

Only at the end of both Silesian Wars in 1745 Maria Theresia managed to get her husband Franz I. Stephan voted Holy Roman Emperor, which ended the conflict for now- albeit not the one with Prussia, as the Seven Year's War would show (And, as mentioned above, France and Britain still had a lot to fight for between them, too).

necronox's Avatar ▬▬ι═══════- -═══════ιι▬

not really homework - just a hobby on the side, but not worth post a new thread just for that. so. here is my question:

in any culture has anyone been allowed to 'die with honor' for example, a capture soldier, or otherwise. the closest i get to is mercy killing during an execution (for example increasing the drop on a hanging as to break the neck - thus removing the excess suffering). but has what i mean, has any culture had a specific way of executing someone in an, honorific way or dignified? i am not talking about sacrifice either or assisted suicide (or volontary execution) either.

Quote Originally Posted by necronox View Post
    not really homework - just a hobby on the side, but not worth post a new thread just for that. so. here is my question:

in any culture has anyone been allowed to 'die with honor' for example, a capture soldier, or otherwise. the closest i get to is mercy killing during an execution (for example increasing the drop on a hanging as to break the neck - thus removing the excess suffering). but has what i mean, has any culture had a specific way of executing someone in an, honorific way or dignified? i am not talking about sacrifice either or assisted suicide (or volontary execution) either.
    I would have thought the obvious starting point would be Japan, as they seem to have a well documented concept of honourable death.

However, you seem to be confusing two seperate concepts in your question. There is a difference between making the execution of a victim more dignified and less distressing, and dying with honour. There are certainly a lot of cultures which have tried to come up with the most dignified way of killing people, just there are a few who have deliberately gone for the opposite. But that wouldn't necessarily make the victims deaths honourable, simply less gruesome.

I suppose the ultimate expression of death with honour would have to be euthanasia, something which most cultures accept for animals but not for humans.

I am doing a massive assignment on allied bombing during ww2. I can look into anything I want to. Any big topics I need to hit?

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

What targets they bombed. The Allies didn't just bomb military targets but also bombed cities, civilian targets, and industrial centers.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

and the story behind the targets from the shift from taking out military/tactical objectives and missing every now and then to by the end of the war just levelling places ..

from arguments like the Germans did it first, to desperation, to just trying to dampen the progress of the seemingly invincible Nazi's

you could talk about the planes, how the pay loads had increased to like nothing had ever been seen before

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

and clearly, don't forget about the nuclear bomb..

to take a good example on how the allied generals acted, you can speak of Montecassino bombing
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal of Carthage View Post
    I am doing a massive assignment on allied bombing during ww2. I can look into anything I want to. Any big topics I need to hit?
    I suppose the biggest debate is whether it atually had any effect on the war. Did it actually contribute towards the defeat of the Nazi's, or was it just a morale booster for Britiah civilians who were being bombed by the Germans.