Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos II Theos View Post
    Perhaps then someone who means something different to different people? I am thinking Ivan Grozny (terrible) or Oliver Cromwell
    Cromwell was after 1600, though

@ Guest Hannibal maybe? I worked with both Ernle Bradford's book and J.F. Lazenby's about him. Both are a bit older, though, but interesting reads.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

oh crap of course he was

First time posting in this thread. I would normally do a history homework myself, but since this is really important for me, and i am bogged down with other subjects(damn you maths and german!) i have decided to ask you guys, because some of you know your stuff really well, and i must get the max out of this homework, it will decide my note for the semester. Anyhow, on to the subject:

I need 10 - 15 images dealing with nazi race theory(like doctors examining people if they fit the "standards of the aryan race") and 10 - 15 images dealing with nazi propaganda. All of these images need to have some kind of a description, and not just something simple which i can see, but a more detailed description about it.

I also need a short description of what is the nazi race theory, on what is is based/where the idea has originated, what are the ideals and goals of it. Also a short description about nazi propaganda.

Before you start writing down your advice i must say that i need to list my sources and a post on a forum just won't do - its best that you give me links to pages that specialize in this stuff, i am not looking for the 1st page of google search results either, i know other people in the class will be using stuff from there and i need my work to stand out, thanks in advance!

David Welch's book on Nazi Propaganda would probably be useful for some insight if you can get hold of it.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

David Welch teaches at my uni He's pretty good.

Getting a hold of a book will be difficult, i doubt if i might find them in a library(depends on how popular his works are ofc), what i am asking is if anyone happened to know of any useful sites online by chance that i could use to find material for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Warrior View Post
    Getting a hold of a book will be difficult, i doubt if i might find them in a library(depends on how popular his works are ofc), what i am asking is if anyone happened to know of any useful sites online by chance that i could use to find material for this.
    If you're at a University try to search on jstor and google scholar. You can find plenty of great articles there You should attempt this anyways, since you can find some great open research.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos II Theos View Post
    Thank you! This is just what i need

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    If you're at a University try to search on jstor and google scholar. You can find plenty of great articles there You should attempt this anyways, since you can find some great open research.
    Im in not a university, 12th grade, but i will try this anyway, thanks for the tip!

Glad I could help

Hey all,

I'm struggling with an essay "Was logistics the key to the Great War", the only source I've been recommended is British Logistics on the Western Front by Ian Brown, but I can't find a copy of it on-line, and its been taken out of the uni library (grrr!). If anyone can find it on-line, knows of any other books on the topic (again, on-line if poss) or has any thoughts please reply

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

I found a French one

Les fronts invisibles : nourrir - fournir - soigner ; actes du Colloque International sur la Logistique des Armées au Combat pendant la Première Guerre Mondiale organisée à Verdun les 6, 7, 8 juin 1980 / communication réunies par Gérard Canini
    Nancy: Pr. Univ. de Nancy, 1984.

Here's something about the US army:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/ref/coll...3coll14/id/150

And maybe the Imperial War Museum can help as well:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search

This one is on Germany, albeit not only on logistics:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/utils/getfil...ename/1690.pdf

On Machine Guns tactics and logistics:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/ref/coll...3coll14/id/220

And there are further results here:

http://www.base-search.net/Search/Re...refid=dcpagede
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21101531669407
    Perhaps this might be useful
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/1983378

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1983378

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1986872

I hope they can be useful, I will look again if not. I have a poor concentration span I am supposed to be reading Euripedes Medea - not WWWI
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; December 07, 2012 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks guys, some of those are particularly useful. Any more of those journals or anything let me know.

I've given up trying to get hold of Ian Brown's book. But I did find Ian Becket's. Which my seminar leader, Ian Becket, will love me using

Academic flattery

How have Runciman's books on the crusades held up?

I'm mostly looking for a pleasant (if long) read, but I wouldn't want to read anything that's been thoroughly debunked, even for pleasure.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Much of it has been 'debunked' concerning his interpretation of events, especially the actions of the West towards the Byzantines. Apparently, he is quite quick to pass judgement on various characters and what he makes of them. As a narrative though, it is seen as a classic.

In terms of how the events themselves have been interpreted, Jonathan Riley-Smith is probably the name you come across most. A lot of this rests in the idea of what crusading actually meant, and naturally, expands on this geographically and in time (as opposed to from 1095 to 1291 in the Holy Land).

If you want a decent length read with solid interpretation, The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge is absolutely excellent. Cheap and a perfect balance of being an superb read while still being academic.

So, I'm supposed to do an assignment about comparing the influences nature had on Chinese and Mesopotamian development into urban societies. So, I looked at a map and I saw that there apparantly weren't any early Chinese cities on the coast like Eritlou. Why's that? There were plenty of cities at the coast in the Fertile Crescent, I think, so why not in China?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Earliest urban Chinese society formed on the alluvial plains of yellow and yangze rivers see : Barnes, G.L 1993; Belwood , P. 2004 ; Nelson, S.M. 1993(ed)