Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

I need some help on the main reasons for the fall of the Western Roman Empire for an extended research project task but my main problem is finding other reasons for the failure rather than the empire's resources being stretched to thin and attacks from 'barbarians' I presume there were other reasons if someone could make a bullet point list of them and possibly provide links to information on each of the causes. Thanks.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by miniwally View Post
    I need some help on the main reasons for the fall of the Western Roman Empire for an extended research project task but my main problem is finding other reasons for the failure rather than the empire's resources being stretched to thin and attacks from 'barbarians' I presume there were other reasons if someone could make a bullet point list of them and possibly provide links to information on each of the causes. Thanks.
    Definitely have civil wars and unrest. Also bankruptcy, they spent all their money on security, and the money the did have was very undervalued (emperors trying to get rich from making tin coins)
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

SavageFeat's Avatar Senator

Don't forget a failed economy as each emperor gained power though military force they paid out their legions a good couple of years pay to a couple of thousands men which lead to quick inflation
    Wars of Rome: The rise
    A Modifacation for Rome : Total War 1.5
    (Pretty sure its dead now^)

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Something which was probably a reason for some other reasons also was a string of incompetent emperors. After the death of Theodosius the Great in 395 Honorius and then Valentinian III would rule the Western Roman Empire for the next 65 years and both of them were far away from being reasonable or skilled rulers.

Of course the magister militum often took over the rule then, persons like Stilicho, Flavius Constantius or Aetius, who were competent military leaders, but they always had to face political opposition and never the divine authority of the Emperor himself (of course Constantius was crowned co- emperor, but he died shortly after that).

Most other reasons have already been mentioned, the Barbarian invasions and the internal conflicts seem to be the most important ones to me. An internal conflict weakened the defense so foreign invaders could raid the border lands, which further weakened the leadership so an ursurper appeared and the foreigners could take advantage of a lack of leadership again... and so on.
    I also recommend Peter Heathers '' The Fall of the Roman Empire. A new history'' to you
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Blackwolf's Avatar Ordinarius

2 questions for you all

"What were some elements that lead to the whites gaining the upper hand [against the American Indians]."
    I know that smallpox is one but are there any more you could think of?

"What were the consequences of European domination in the Americas."
    War??? I don't know at all...

"What were some elements that lead to the whites gaining the upper hand [against the American Indians]."
    They were whiter.
    Having superior weapons.
    Superior tactics.
    Tricking the native thinking they were gods, then capturing the native kings and kill them.
    Allying with some tribes against some other tribes.

What do you mean that war is a consequence of Europeans dominating the Americas?

I've course war will follow wherever an empire goes, but the native Americans were fighting long before the Europeans arrived.

nearly all the native population died (I think 95% ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    2 questions for you all

- Other illnesses that Europeans were adapted to but Indians weren't
    - Superior technology with a head start of more than 2 millennia
    - Protestant work ethics in some places (that's one of the major contributions to the rise of Northern European powers like England, various German factions, the Netherlands, Sweden, and so on)
    - clever diplomacy, playing to the lack of cohesion and "nationalism" among the natives
    - constant reinforcement by new waves of settlers.

Seriously that's a stupid answer. The obvious, real answers are:

- a dramatic change in the ethnic and cultural setup of North America and to a lesser extent, South America
    - a dramatic leap in technology and social developments (industrialization and modern infrastructure along with the accompanying social and political phenomena)
    - introduction of a significant amount of foreign animal and plant species, especially domesticated ones (this one is a "mutual" thing, though - many American species have since been introduced to Eurasia and other parts of the world), and so on.

SavageFeat's Avatar Senator

2 questions for you all

simple. boom sticks

k I know its not that simple but boom sticks are cool
    Wars of Rome: The rise
    A Modifacation for Rome : Total War 1.5
    (Pretty sure its dead now^)

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    I have a question please guys:

"To what extent was Scipio Africanus responsible for Roman victory in the Second Punic War?"

Thanks
    A very interesting question and one that I can't really answer in one centence.

Scipio Africanus certainly was one of the reasons why Roma finally managed to win the 16-round slugging match with Carthage. But we cannot state with certainty that he was the only reason.

The Fabian tactics of not facing Hannibal in the field and instead harassing his supply lines and foragers and instead fighting him in sieges were the main reason why Hannibal spent 14 years in South Italy looking for a way out and not finding it. As such, Fabius and the many consuls that followed these guidelines of containment deserve praise. The Consuls were elected politicians and as such were in general not of the quality of Hannibal.

Publius Cornelius Scipio, [Publios Kornelios Skipio](I have tried to give the pronunciation of all the Roman names, using Old Latin which was in use until the end of the first century BCE), both the father and his son Africanus believed the war would be won in Spain. Spain was the main base of Carthage in every sense - tribesmen from Spain fought in the armies of Hannibal and Hasdrubal, supplies were gathered and fortune was made from tributes and from the trade. In 218 BCE the Roman army in Spain led by the father and uncle of Africanus managed to defeat a Carthaginian army led by Hanno at Cissa and established a foothold in Iberia, giving the Romans a base for operations. Next, in the battle of Dertosa in 215 BCE, they defeated another Punic army under Hasdrubal Barca. The consequences of that victory were so important, it’s strange it hasn’t achieved the status of the battle of the river Metaurus. First, Publius Cornelius Scipio and his brother annihilated a significant part of the Punic forces in Iberia. Had they been defeated, the road to Italy would’ve been wide open and Hannibal would’ve received his reinforcements in the most important moment when he needed them. Second, after Cannae Mago Barca had been sent back to Carthage by Hannibal to portray the struggle and beg for supplies and men. The Senate of Carthage raised some 14 000 men to help Hannibal, but when news of the defeat reached them, that army was sent instead to Iberia. Just imagine what would’ve happened if the armies in Iberia could be sent to Italy. I imagine that Rome would’ve been betrayed by all its allies and defeated in time. However, maybe the fact that both Scipio brothers died in the battles around the upper Baetis river, after being deserted by the massive Celtiberian forces they had recruited, diminishes the value historians place on the Dertosa battle. The survivors of the Roman army would become a part of the Spanish Roman Army in Iberia under Africanus.

Marcus Claudius Marcellus[Markus Klaudius Markellus] was a warrior and general of great renown. He was maybe the main reason why Hannibal didn’t conquer all of Southern Italy after Cannae. He also achieved the fame of being the first Roman to defeat Hannibal, a defensive victory in the siege of Nola, but it had a tremendous morale-boosting effect. Marcellus continued to oppose Hannibal and limit his movements. In 214 BCE he was sent to Sicily where Roman rule was in danger and the erstwhile ally Syracuse had gone over and allied itself with Carthage. Marcellus took Syracuse and pacified Sicily, thus preventing Carthage and Hannibal from being reinforced or getting a new supply base. “The Sword of Rome” died as consul for fifth time in 208 BCE together with his co-consul Tiberius Quinctius Crispinus[Tiberios Kwinktios Krispinos] while on reconnaissance with 220 men after being ambushed by Numedian cavalry. The death of both consuls was a major morale blow on the Romans.

Marcus Livius Drusus Salinator[Markos Livios Drusos Salinator] and Caius Claudius Nero[Gaios Klaudios Nero] defeated Hasdrubal Barca in 207 BCE at the battle of the Metaurus river and so prevented the one single time when someone attempted to reinforce Hannibal. Although the fact is that Hasdrubal had before that been defeated by Africanus at Baecula in Iberia and his army had been halved, he nevertheless marched through Gaul, where a lot of adventurous warriors chose to join his army, and then into Italy. His force was not the half-frozen ghost of an army that Hannibal had brought to Italy ten years earlier and the prospects of facing the united Punic force must have given the Romans nightmares. However, Nero managed to defeat a portion of Hannibal’s force at Grumentum and then marched without being noticed by either of the Barca brothers to Drusus’s help. Together, they destroyed Hasdrubal’s army, prompting Hannibal to say “Rome will be mistress of the world”(which might be fiction, entered to please the roman listeners and readers). The praise should rightly go to Nero, who defeated one force, then without being noticed dropped the blockade of Hannibal’s army and then again so stealthily joined his co-consul for the vital clash, in which he accomplished an excellent flanking movement on the Roman extreme left, that shattered the Carthaginian right wing and then center and left.

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus[Publios Kornelios Skipio Afrikanos] is probably the single Roman most responsible for the defeat of Carthage. He was one of the military tribunes to survive Cannae and immediately after that, when he heard about the suggestions to surrender, he and his armed supporters burst in the meeting and forced everyone present to swear a sacred oath to never surrender to the enemy. He was barely twenty at this time. In 211 BCE, probably after the news that his father and uncle and the majority of his army were slain in battle, he stood for election for questor, which would let him attend the Senate. The tribunes of Plebs objected, since he was not of age, but the matter was put in front of the Assembly and Scipio was allowed to stand and was elected. Once in office, he passionately debated to be sent to command the army in Spain. The ancient authors say that the Senate was impressed with his passionate language and Livius[Livius] suggests that nobody wanted the position. It’s difficult to blame the shirking Roman senators. Spain was the lair of the beast and both commanders to face the enemy had been slain. It was not just a death sentence the way they saw it, it would be an inglorious death in a foreign wild land, without help from Roma, while the enemy was still at their doorstep. But according to tradition, Scipio would be avenging the death of his kin. And so in 210 BCE Scipio landed in Spain with the imperium of Proconsul at the head of 10 000 to complement the ten thousand that Claudius Nero had brought in late 211 BCE and the eight thousand survivors from the defeat of the battles of Upper Baetis. In a blinding blow he attacked and seized the best harbor of the western Mediterranean, Carthago Nova and so got himself a base deep inside enemy territory, stuffed to the roofs with supplies and weapons and workshops. He then spent two years forging alliances with the Iberian tribes and training his army. He was a shrewd diplomat and his humanitarian and noble approach to dealing with the Iberian tribes helped portray the Romans as liberators from Punic rule, with many tribes sending contingents to swell up his army(not mercenaries, as his father had done).

In his first pitched battle at Baecula, he showed his tenacity, intelligence and cunning. The Punic army of Hasdrubal Barca was on a two-step plateau, in a strong defensive position, with the light infantry on the lower step and the camp with the heavy infantry on the top. Scipio thus would have to fight uphill, but if successful he would defeat one third of the total enemy force in Iberia(a defeat in detail). And so he advanced. Scipio sent his light troops, probably in a frontal attack, against the Carthaginian light on the lower position. We can only imagine the quality and bravery of those men, who had to climb under a rain of stones, arrows and javelins, but once they reached the step, they quickly forced back the enemy light infantry. Scipio then reinforced them and led half of his heavy infantry up the left slope, leaving the other half to scale the right under his trusted lieutenant Caius Laelius [Gaios Lailios]. Hasdrubal thought the clash was just a skirmish(Scipio had hidden his heavy infantry in camp, ready to march, until the last second) and so failed to deploy his heavy infantry to meet the threat. Attacked from three sides, the Carthaginian force retreated, saving most of its baggage train, elephants and heavy infantry. One of the reasons for this is that the legionaries started looting the Carthaginian camp. Another is that Scipio wisely didn’t want to find himself between the three Punic forces very close to where his father and uncle had died(both other Punic armies under Mago and Hanno converged on Scipio’s camp a few days later). Hasdrubal and his diminished force went to Italy, meeting the consuls Drusus and Nero at Metaurus. Scipio retreated to winter quarters and spent the next year, 207 BCE, mostly in converting Iberian chieftains. He tried to force a decisive battle, but the Carthaginian commanders dispersed their army in fortified towns. This is not to mean Scipio couldn't do anything. He in fact sent a small picked force that managed to surprise one of the two camping armies and dispersed it, capturing its commander Hanno.

In 206 BCE Scipio decided to attack decisively the combined Carthaginian army of Hasdrubal Gisgo, at camp near Gades(Modern day Cadiz), even though he was outnumbered both in infantry 45 000 to 50 000 and 3000 to 4500 in cavalry. The Carthaginians also had 32 elephants. Nevertheless, Scipio advanced to Ilipa, but knowing one of the enemy commanders was Mago Barca, the daring cavalry commander from Trebia and the one, who broke through the Roman right wing at Cannae, he hid his cavalry behind a hill. Mago led a daring cavalry attack and was surprised and thrown back with heavy losses. The beaten Punic horse retreated and for the next few days both armies stood toe to toe, with frequent skirmishes and every day Scipio marched out for battle, always much later after the Carthaginians had formed for battle, putting his Romans in their traditional spot in the center and his less reliable Iberian allies on the wings to face the African infantry in the center and Carthage’s half-trained Iberian allies on the wings. This repeated every day. Then Scipio showed his cunning. He ordered the army fed before dawn and at daybreak his light infantry marched out and overcame the Carthaginian outposts. Scipio followed shortly with his heavy infantry and cavalry and marched much closer to the enemy camp than on previous days. Alarmed by the noise, the sleepy Punic force rose and marched out to meet the Romans without having a bite. When they formed their line, Gisgo found out he had been had – the Roman center consisted of Iberians, whereas the Legionaries were on the wings. As the enemy line was far closer than on previous days, Gisgo couldn’t reform his men. Then Scipio twisted the knife and for the next few hours had his light infantry and cavalry constantly harass the Punic line, exacerbating the effects of missed breakfast, anxiety and tension. When he decided to advance, the velites were recalled and moved to the sides of the wings, with the cavalry completing the line on either flank. Since the main battle lines had been matched, this placement allowed him to envelope the Carthaginians on both flanks. The whole army advanced and yet another stratagem was revealed. The legions moved on the double, thus creating a concave formation like a bowl or like the horns of a bull(Resembling in appearance, if not in function, the Zulu tactics under Shaka Zulu). The Roman legions, light infantry and cavalry crashed into the Iberians, attacking them from the front, flank and rear. The African infantry could only watch helplessly as their comrades on the wings were being slaughtered, because the clear and present danger of the Roman center, yet uncommitted, prevented them from trying to help. They were then thrown into confusion by their own elephants, that the Roman cavalry was driving from the flanks to the center. With no other option left and the annihilation of the wings becoming a certainty, the Carthaginians tried to retreat. This is when Scipio committed his center and his Iberian allies turned the retreat into a rout. The only things that prevented a Cannae-like slaughter with reversed roles was a sudden torrential rain that turned the field into a mudpit and allowed the surviving Carthaginian army go back to their camp. However, knowing what would happen in the morning and with their Iberians deserting en masse as the night passed, the Carthaginians tried to slip away in the darkness. They failed. Scipio ordered a pursuit and when the Romans caught up with the Punic force, butchery began. Hasdrubal and Gisgo managed to slip away, but the surviving 6 000 men surrendered after retreating to a position without any water. The fight for Iberia was over and Hasdrubal sailed to Carthage.
    Mago would try unsuccessfully to retake Carthago Nova, then would sail to the Balearic islands and after receiving reinforcements would land in Northern Italy and try unsuccessfully to open a "second front", sailing back to Carthage to defend it in 202 BCE, but dying at sea. After Ilipa Scipio subjugated the rest of Punic Iberia and then defeated an uprising by the same Spanish chieftains, who had first helped defeat his father, then had become allies*. Scipio showed restraint, as he did with the mutiny that arose at the same time, due to rumors that he was very ill. In 206 BCE Scipio left Spain and on his return sailed to Numidia to try convince the Numidians to switch sides – Numidia being both a buffer for Carthage and a constant supplier of mercenaries and allied forces, including the famed Numidian cavalry. Scipio’s diplomatic mission was partially a success, convincing the prince Massinissa to become an ally. Then Scipio returned to Roma and was unanimously elected as consul for 205 BCE. Next step would be Africa. No great deed goes unpunished, however, and Scipio’s political enemies opposed his plans for an invasion of Africa while Hannibal was still in Italy. When Scipio got Sicily for his province, the Senate did not let him have an army. So Scipio called for volunteers. From all over Italy men gathered, including the two “shamed” legions, posted in Sicily since Cannae. Scipio made Sicily his forward base and prepared for the invasion, which began in 204 BCE.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    * - The two chieftains would revolt once more once Scipio was gone from Spain, but were defeated and died in battle with the substitution generals Scipio had left in Spain.

When he laid siege on Utica, Scipio forced Carthage to respond. Hasdrubal Gisgo, the old enemy from Spain led the Punic force and was accompanied by his son-in-law, the Numidian prince Syphax; their combined forced outnumbered Scipio’s men by a large margin. Both sides camped for winter and Syphax tried to mediate a peace treaty. This was unsuccessful, but allowed Scipio and his envoys to enter a few times the enemy camps and take in the surroundings, winter huts made of wood, grass and reeds. Scipio then rejected the terms and one night marched with his army towards the two camps and set them on fire. The Carthaginians and Numidians ran from the conflagration, only to be met at the entrances by the Roman army. Livius reports that between 30 000 and 40 000 Numidian and Carthaginian soldiers died in the attack. In one brilliant, ruthless stroke Scipio had freed himself for further attacks and had destroyed a significant part of the enemy force.

The next year, 203 BCE, Scipio again faced the two enemy commanders, at Great Plains. The Senate had seen his effectiveness and gave him imperium as proconsul until the end of the war. Great Plains was another victory, with the Carthaginian cavalry and infantry being driven off the field by the Roman cavalry, which left only the Iberian mercenaries of Carthage in the center, who defended themselves desperately, but couldn’t help be outflanked and slaughtered en masse. Syphax fled to his kingdom, where Laelius and Massinissa defeated him at Cirta and took him prisoner. Scipio offered modest peace terms, in accordance with the actual status and the Roman Senate ratified them. But while the rulers of Carthage debated the peace treaty, they communicated with the last Carthaginian army left – Hannibal and his Italian army. Hannibal sailed home and Carthage rejected the terms and prepared for battle. Thus the two great commanders of the two powers of the western Mediterranean came face to face.
    At Zama.

Having bolstered his army with a conscript of Carthaginian citizens and with mercenaries and elephants, Hannibal marched towards the plain of Zama, suitable for cavalry maneuvers. Here the two armies met, on the 19th of October 202 BCE, the Carthaginians facing northeast and the Romans facing southwest.
    For the first time in his battles with the Romans, Hannibal was outnumbered in cavalry: he had 45 000 infantry, 6 000 cavalry and 80 elephants. Scipio had 34 000 infantry and 9 000 cavalry, including Masinissa’s Numidians. Hannibal placed his men in three lines behind the elephants and the cavalry on the wings. The first line consisted of Gallic, Ligurian and Baleric mercenaries. The second was composed of the citizen infantry and in the third line Hannibal placed the veterans from his campaign in Italy, held a bit back in case Scipio decided to refuse his center. Hannibal’s battle plan seems straightforward enough: charge with the elephants, then exploit the holes in the Roman line, while the cavalry held the Roman horse. The veterans would be kept as a reserve, ready to reinforce or defend from attacks from the flanks and rear.

Scipio placed his men in triplex acies, hastati in the first, principes second and the triarii in the third line. Masinissa’s more numerous Numidians went on the right wing, facing Numidians, while the heavy Roman horse under Laelius went on the left against the Carthaginian cavalry. However the threat of the elephants and what they might do to his men loomed great in Scipio’s mind and so he devised a way to deal with them. The maniples didn’t position themselves in the quincunx formation, but directly behind each other, creating lanes. The velites would mask these and would then retreat before the elephants, finding safety in the main formations, while peppering them in the sides with javelins.

The fight opened with the Numidians skirmishing for a while. Hannibal ordered his elephants forward, but since these were new half-trained elephants, they apparently couldn’t stand the din and noise of the battle. Several of them charged back into the Punic Numidian horse and threw it into confusion. Masinissa grasped the initiative and charged home, driving the Punic left wing off the field of battle and following in pursuit. Laelius chose this moment to charge the Carthaginian right and (perhaps acting on orders from Hannibal) it retreated, drawing the Roman horse in pursuit. Meanwhile the velites uncovered the lanes. The elephants passed more or less without doing great damage, terrified by the noise the Romans were making to scare them and the javelins and were dealt with as they emerged on the other side of the formation. The Roman infantry then assumed its traditional formation and closed with the first Carthaginian line. These were freshly recruited mercenaries that Mago was bringing from Italy when he died and they couldn’t stand the assault of the legions, eager to clear their names from the shame of Cannae. The mercenaries retreated and on Hannibal’s orders the second line met them with spears leveled and forced them to go to the flanks. Then the citizen phalanx advanced and brought the hastati to a standstill. The Centurions of the principes behind them saw it and led their men forward. Combined, they proved too much for the citizens, who broke and fled, but were forced by the third Punic line, the hardened veterans, to the sides. Thus the Punic formation became one long line, probably with Hannibal in its center. The hastati did not pursue – they were exhausted. A short lull descended to the battlefield, as both sides tried to catch their breath. Water was brought to the men, then Scipio ordered the principes to the sides of the hastati and the triarii further to the wings still, to match the enemy line. Thus prepared, the two lines closed in what was quite evidently a determined, brutal slaughter to the end, with no quarter asked, nor given. Then suddenly Laelius and Masinissa arrived back and attacked the Carthaginian line in the rear. All resistance broke. And the massacre began. Hannibal and a few of his men managed to break free, but the might and pride of the Punic army would forever stay in that plain.

After the battle Scipio would again offer terms to Carthage, this time much harsher, but Carthage had no choice but to accept them. Scipio went back to Italy and celebrated a triumph, adopting the agnomen Africanus. He was 34 and the brutal war he had been a witness and a participant in since day one, was over. Rome was on its way to become an Empire.

I did this narrative to explain the contribution of all the Roman commanders and what they faced and what they did. Scipio was an extraordinary man and a general, astute politician and diplomat. He was a born leader, if we are to believe the stories of the ancient authors. There can be no doubt that without his contribution and that of the men he led, the Second Punic war might not have ended with a triumph. At least not a Roman one. But we should not forget the contribution of all others before him. Without his father and uncle Iberia would’ve become a constant source of men and material for Hannibal’s Italian army. Without the two elder Scipios Hannibal could’ve been reinforced as early as 217 BCE and God only knows what would’ve happened then. We cannot pass over the contribution of Marcellus, who fought Hannibal to a standstill in southern Italy and forced him in a war of attrition which Hannibal on his own couldn’t win, who captured Syracuse and pacified Sicily. We simply cannot not mention Nero and the shore-up of the defenses north of the river Ebro, which gave Scipio his base of operations in Iberia. The same Nero, who in 207 BCE defeated a partition of Hannibal’s army and then force marched to help his co-consul intercept Hasdrubal at Metaurus, where he led his men on a flanking maneuver that shattered the Punic right and so guaranteed the victory. A victory, that, had it not been achieved, would've spelled doom for Rome, since with two armies Hannibal could've marched on Rome.

Scipio Africanus was the general that won the Second Punic war for Rome. He brought over the Iberians, he enticed the Numidians and so acquired the cavalry that helped him win in Africa. But he didn’t do it alone. He became a brilliant tactician, but others gave him the time to learn, others won the time Rome so desperately needed to regain its feet in the terrible months and years after the darkest hour of Cannae, when all of Southern Italy had gone over to Hannibal. We remember those, who won the war, but we also have to remember those who did not lost it when it was so easy(in fact looked inevitable) to do so.
    Last edited by torongill; August 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added more shiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

THANKS YOU SIRE + rep

Hey? Is this still open?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yes, got a question?

Yes, if you mind that I have a lot of question, if is that OK?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Just go on, the people on here will answer anything they can
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yes do go on, I enjoy answering...if I can ofcourse

Awesome! Here questions:

It's about Medieval

1. Identify the areas in Europe Charlemagne controlled at the height of his power.

2. Evaluate the result of the Pope's decision to crown Charlemagne the emperor of the Romans?

3. Describe the accomplishments of Charlemagne.
    (I already answer)

4. Evaluate the enormous role the Church played in the lives of the people in the medieval period.

5. Differentiate between the Catholic Church and Protestant Churches.

6. Besides a religious role, what other aspects of human life did the church affect in medieval times?

7. Describe the role of women in medieval times.
    (Absolute I'm confuse.. )

8. Describe the life of a monk in the monasteries.
    (I don't understand that question, honestly!)

9. Evaluate the role "private property" played in medieval times.

10. Identify the specific was technology improved farming in the medieval times.

11. Evaluate the impact or improved technology and farming on Europe in medieval times.

12. Evaluate the impact of increased population on Europe in medieval times.

13.Evaluate the impact of trade on cities in medieval times.

14. Describe the process of becoming a master in a particular field in medieval times.

That's all I have! Hope you know their questions!

Ok, this isn't a History question, its for science, but I hope that this would be accepted here as this seems more appropriate here than the science forum.

The instructions are this

Build a device that lowers an object towards Earth at the slowest continuous rate possible. The longer it takes to drop one foot the higher your grade.

note:
    1) Students who will think the most would save a lot of effort.

2) Think Simply
    3) $ limit 9

Quote Originally Posted by vinh834 View Post
    Ok, this isn't a History question, its for science, but I hope that this would be accepted here as this seems more appropriate here than the science forum.

The instructions are this

Build a device that lowers an object towards Earth at the slowest continuous rate possible. The longer it takes to drop one foot the higher your grade.

note:
    1) Students who will think the most would save a lot of effort.

2) Think Simply
    3) $ limit 9
    Yeah, its from my world history class. It's not science. but.. science?

Quote Originally Posted by Primarch Roboute View Post
    Yeah, its from my world history class. It's not science. but.. science?
    I'm confused as to what you are asking. I'm just simply asking a science related question for this thread.