Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Quote Originally Posted by mamik_yev_konak View Post
    Takezo Kensei are you allowed to compare the Revolution to other more recent or past countries' situations? Because after reading Xanthippus' post, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too far-fetched to point out how at least in many cases, when there have been such similar upheavals and greatly upsetting circumstances, there have been take-overs (such as by the military, in the form of the 20th century junta) in order to return to some level of stability before republics have been formed once again, many times after...you guessed it, a dictator has ruled for several years. Perhaps this is just my Atlantic studies coming into play, because I'm thinking of the Haitian Revolution and the French Revolution, as well as 20th century Latin American history (esp. vis-a-vis the US).
    Really you can even look into later French history there are plenty of parallels to the post-revolutionary era.

Until very recent times the French Army played a huge political role, especially in times of instability. It stamped out the Commune in 1871, and essentially overthrew the Fourth Republic in 1958.

In 1960, if the French North African army would have had support on the mainland, they probably would have rebelled then too.
    Last edited by Xanthippus of Sparta; October 05, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Takezō Kensei's Avatar Laetus
    Adelaide, Australia / Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mamik_yev_konak View Post
    Takezo Kensei are you allowed to compare the Revolution to other more recent or past countries' situations? Because after reading Xanthippus' post, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too far-fetched to point out how at least in many cases, when there have been such similar upheavals and greatly upsetting circumstances, there have been take-overs (such as by the military, in the form of the 20th century junta) in order to return to some level of stability before republics have been formed once again, many times after...you guessed it, a dictator has ruled for several years. Perhaps this is just my Atlantic studies coming into play, because I'm thinking of the Haitian Revolution and the French Revolution, as well as 20th century Latin American history (esp. vis-a-vis the US).
    No, I just asked my tutor and I should not make comparison with other revolutions, even though that would be an interesting line of discussion.

So, essentially I will contend that the post-revolutionary terror (The Reign of Terror) was a major contributing factor for the failure of the French Revolution. I will discuss the role of Robespierre, the execution of the moderate 'Girondists', and the Thermadorian Reaction; how these aspects of the post-revolutionary terror resulted in the fall of the directory and Napoleons seizing of power (symbolizing the failure of the rev.)

Furthermore I will discuss how despite the post-rev. terror being pivotal in the failure of the revolution, it was not the only reason for the failure. This will allow me to discuss the nature of the revolution itself, its aims etc. (Here is where I could have discussed the American Rev.; limited aims - easier to achieve, war of independence - not a revolution, rebellion against outside rule - not a rebellion against own government.)
    - How the removal of the existing structure, could not be easily replaced.
    - The broader/disputed goals of the rev.; how broader goals resulted in stability taking far longer to occur.

Any other input you guys could give me would still be greatly appreciated though.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I need a good thesis statement for my 8-10 page research essay on the Luftwaffe and the technology developed for the Luftwaffe in World War Two. I'm thinking of something along the line of

"Though the Luftwaffe was incredibly advanced for its time, increasing mismanagement and misuse of the technology and tactics developed for it led to its ultimate unsatisfactory performance during World War II".

How does that sound?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I need a good thesis statement for my 8-10 page research essay on the Luftwaffe and the technology developed for the Luftwaffe in World War Two. I'm thinking of something along the line of...

"Though the Luftwaffe was incredibly advanced for its time, increasing mismanagement and misuse of the technology and tactics developed for it led to its ultimate unsatisfactory performance during World War II".

How does that sound?
    I think it's a good start, for sure.

Mismanagement is a good point. I'm not sure if any of the Luftwaffe's tactics were inherently bad, though.

Maybe I'd dig into how much the design/creation/production of some of the Luftwaffe's "super weapons" took away from more practical matters in the Third Reich's military-industrial complex.

In 1944-45 the Germans were pouring money into these weapons systems (with the Me262 really being the only truly successful one) while at the same time the quality of their basic infantry weapons (like the K98k) was declining.
    Last edited by Xanthippus of Sparta; November 07, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthippus of Sparta View Post
    I think it's a good start, for sure.

Mismanagement is a good point. I'm not sure if any of the Luftwaffe's tactics were inherently bad, though.

Maybe I'd dig into how much the design/creation/production of some of the Luftwaffe's "super weapons" took away from more practical matters in the Third Reich's military-industrial complex.

In 1944-45 the Germans were pouring money into these weapons systems (with the Me262 really being the only truly successful one) while at the same time the quality of their basic infantry weapons (like the K98k) was declining.
    I plan on talking about how the V weapons drained a lot of money away from the real weapons like the Me 262...The V-2 cost somewhere around 100,000 marks each I believe, while the V-1 cost a little over 5,000. If that money had been put more towards the Me 262 and if Hitler hadn't of changed the plans (fighter to bomber and then back to fighter) the Me 262 could have potentially had a devastating impact on the war.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Sounds like a solid topic/thesis. See if your library has this book: The Nazi Germany Sourcebook. It's filled with primary source documents you may find useful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Sounds like a solid topic/thesis. See if your library has this book: The Nazi Germany Sourcebook. It's filled with primary source documents you may find useful.
    Unfortunately, I don't have it. And I can't order anything now because the deadline is approaching and it could take a couple weeks for it to get here.

Blog Entries

So I'm almost done with the paper...Probably will be about 10 pages. I'm worried that the paper may have a few too many quotes...But I still think it is good.

I hope I can use elements of this paper next semester on my senior paper...Lol

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

One thing I learned throughout my college studies is to limit the amount of quotes in a paper. I even had one professor who didn't like to see more than two quotes per paper. Learn to use your own words and thoughts instead of other authors'. If you'd like additional feedback on your paper, you could always post it up here in this thread, or perhaps create a new thread in the VV or the Thema Devia.
    Last edited by StealthFox; November 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Pro-tip: Try putting in the quote you wish to include. Read that section of the paper to yourself out loud. If the quote does not strengthen your argument in a substantial manner (i.e., seems to be filling no major role in this regard), seriously consider leaving it out.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Blog Entries

Well I sent it in to my teacher as a rough draft. If he thinks there are too many quotes in it he will let me know.

It's just that there is SO much information to cram into a 10 page paper.

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Well I sent it in to my teacher as a rough draft. If he thinks there are too many quotes in it he will let me know.

It's just that there is SO much information to cram into a 10 page paper.
    get the feeling all the time, one teacher gave me an assignment of summing up the roman army in one paragraph, it was a long one.......
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

Blog Entries

Got a response back...My teacher said "This is a well-written paper, and you seem to understand the issues pretty well. You state your thesis and explain your position very well."

Only problem he has with it is some minor proof reading errors...Which is understandable, cause this was essentially a rough-rough draft.

Any of my British amigos on here know where I would be able to locate either an online pdf or a library with "Fourth Army Papers Volume 1" (Fourth Army's war records from WWI). I'm in a bit of a pickle finding primary sources and of artillery expenditure and counter-battery operations for the Somme (and yes I need to use primary sources only for this paper, it's not too fun when you're dealing with 1 day of 1 battle and the pre-battle bombardment lol)
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    Any of my British amigos on here know where I would be able to locate either an online pdf or a library with "Fourth Army Papers Volume 1" (Fourth Army's war records from WWI). I'm in a bit of a pickle finding primary sources and of artillery expenditure and counter-battery operations for the Somme (and yes I need to use primary sources only for this paper, it's not too fun when you're dealing with 1 day of 1 battle and the pre-battle bombardment lol)
    Have only been able to find extracts from "Fourth Army Papers Volume 1" for a later period but did find this instead (I have extracted the ammo expenditure data from Section XV):

http://www.gutenberg-e.org/mas01/archive/app18.html Appendix 18: Artillery Lessons Drawn From The Battle Of The Somme, c. December 1916
    Source: Montgomery-Massingberd Papers, LHCMA, file 7/4.
    The total number of rounds fired from June 24th to November 21st, 1916, both dates inclusive, were:
    18-pounder 10,844,411
    4.5" How: 2,222,857
    4.7" Gun: 163,239
    60-pounder: 800,633
    6" How: 831,862
    6" Gun: 59,293
    8" How: 292,660
    9.2" How: 260,807
    9.2" Gun: 2,630
    12" How: 17,425
    12" Gun: 1,153
    15" How: 2,803
    13-: 61,022
    GRAND TOTAL: 15,560,795
    Avg. per day 102,439
    Wt. in Tons, approx. 255,000

You might also try to get hold of : British Official History, Military Operations, France and Flanders, 1916, Volume 1.

You will find lost of useful data & info on British Artillery in WWI at
    http://www.gutenberg-e.org/mas01/index.htmlThe Infantry cannot do without a gun less:” The place of Artillery in the British Expeditionary Force 1914-1918 by Sanders Marble

All references seem point to the Imperial War Museum having a set of the Fourth Army Operational papers - you may wish to drop them a line at:
    IWM London
    Lambeth Road
    London SE1 6HZ
    United Kingdom
    Telephone: +44 (0)20 7416 5320
    Fax: +44 (0)20 7416 5374
    Email:mail@iwm.org.uk
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; November 22, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional ref; suggestion

I'm in a bit of a bind here, I need to compare 2 speeches from the 1850 compromise, I've already settled on Daniel Websters speech (As I will also be doing rhetorical analysis) and I am thinking of Calhoun's speech. Thoughts?

Calhoun's: http://college.cengage.com/history/a...omise_1850.htm

Webster's: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/abt5...100;view=image

What is your opinion on the idea of comparing these 2 speeches?

Thanks in advance.

Ok guys here's an easy question :
    Which Saffron did the Mycenaeans used to get which colour . I study history ( 1 year ) and our professor told us this will be one of the questions . I can't find a concrete answer in John Chadwick's book .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; November 23, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Indefinitely Banned
    From Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Living in Milpitas, California, USA.

Default Need help on essay

I'm doing an essay on how heroes inspire me, I'm doing Ronald Reagan (He tore down the Berlin wall, ended the Cold War, etc.) What are his 3 heroic qualities. And please don't say offensive stuff like "He ruined the American dream"

Moved and merged from the Mudpit. -DBH
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; December 23, 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Wrong forum.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Need help on essay

Ronald Reagan... Why don't you choose Theodore Roosevelt?

Anyway, Reagan opened a Pandora's box that ultimately leads to several major problems federal government faces today...
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; December 23, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Default Re: Need help on essay

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann Fegelein View Post
    I'm doing an essay on how heroes inspire me, I'm doing Ronald Reagan (He tore down the Berlin wall, ended the Cold War, etc.) What are his 3 heroic qualities. And please don't say offensive stuff like "He ruined the American dream"

Moved and merged from the Mudpit. -DBH
    I have a hard time with "heroic" here because it leaves no room for objectivity.

But Reagan was very amiable, his personal friendship with Mikhail Gorbachev was very important in the thawing of Cold War US-Soviet relations before the Fall of the USSR (which happened largely for internal social and economic reasons, not because of anything Reagan did).