Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Simple question
    Did the area that formed the heart of the Inca homeland have any degree of urban society around 900 AD?

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Quote Originally Posted by mp0295 View Post
    Simple question
    Did the area that formed the heart of the Inca homeland have any degree of urban society around 900 AD?
    Unlikely since the Inca civilization emerged around 1100-1200AD.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Aristedes's Avatar Tiro

Then came the ensigns encompassing the eagle, which is at the head of every Roman legion, the king and the strongest of all birds, which seems to them a signal of dominion, and an omen that they shall conquer all against whom they march;

This is quote is from Flavius Josephus' 'Jewish Wars' (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, I'm in search of the original LATIN quote, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know it?

Thanks in advance
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.

Hello TWC. Would anyone with access to Cambridge Histories Online be kind enough to hep me out? I would really like to take a look at Cambridge History of South Africa, Volume I, especially chapter 6. The book is quite new so it's outside of my price range and local library won't does not plan to carry it.

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Cahir View Post
    Hello TWC. Would anyone with access to Cambridge Histories Online be kind enough to hep me out? I would really like to take a look at Cambridge History of South Africa, Volume I, especially chapter 6. The book is quite new so it's outside of my price range and local library won't does not plan to carry it.
    I'm seeing it for $75 on Amazon.com. Far below the cost of a brand new copy, but still more than I would pay for a book, personally.

What's the subject matter of the chapter that you want to see?

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Aristedes View Post
    Then came the ensigns encompassing the eagle, which is at the head of every Roman legion, the king and the strongest of all birds, which seems to them a signal of dominion, and an omen that they shall conquer all against whom they march;

This is quote is from Flavius Josephus' 'Jewish Wars' (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, I'm in search of the original LATIN quote, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know it?

Thanks in advance
    Flavius Josephus, De bello Judaico libri vii
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...on+section%3D1

The original was in Greek not Latin, heres an extract and the link above will take you to a helpful site. Good luck
    [2] οἱ παραγενόμενοι δὲ κολακείᾳ τῇ πρὸς Ῥωμαίους μίσει τῷ πρὸς Ἰουδαίους καταψεύδονται τῶν πραγμάτων, περιέχει δὲ αὐτοῖς ὅπου μὲν κατηγορίαν ὅπου δὲ ἐγκώμιον τὰ συγγράμματα, τὸ δ᾽ ἀκριβὲς τῆς ἱστορίας οὐδαμοῦ, [3] προυθέμην ἐγὼ τοῖς κατὰ τὴν Ῥωμαίων ἡγεμονίαν Ἑλλάδι γλώσσῃ μεταβαλὼν τοῖς ἄνω βαρβάροις τῇ πατρίῳ συντάξας ἀνέπεμψα πρότερον ἀφηγήσασθαι Ἰώσηπος Ματθίου παῖς ἐξ Ἱεροσολύμων ἱερεύς, αὐτός τε Ῥωμαίους πολεμήσας τὰ πρῶτα καὶ τοῖς ὕστερον παρατυχὼν ἐξ ἀνάγκης:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...hus%2C+Flavius" This link should get you a Latin version

Signature made by Joar

Just thought I would extend my services for some history homework.

I'm a 9th grade World History teacher with a Masters in History (focused on the Islamic world for my thesis).

If you need some help, pm me.

Hi,

I'm writing an English report on "The weapons and tactics of the American Civil War"

I was wondering if anyone has any good points I should remember make in this report.

Good sources (links) would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Atheist

Hi AtheistDane,

Yes, I have a few key points that I think you need to stress, and ought to help you produce an interesting peice.

1. The ACW inspired a rapid development in firearms technology. At the start of the war the majority of troops were armed with the same type of smooth bore, mussle loaded weapons that had been used in the American War of Independence, but by the end of the war the percentage of rifled, breachloaded and rapid firing weapons had increased significantly. Increasing the lethality of warfare and forcing a change in tactic's towards more extended formations and greater use of cover.

2. As mentioned above tactic's evolved rapidly to more extended formations and more rapid movement. Earlier armies using purely smoothbore weapons had usually fought shoulder to shoulder in dense formations that advanced at an artificially slow pace (76 paces per minute for the British), but as the weapons became more lethal such tactic's would have been suicide in an ACW battlefield and so most units adopted a much more extended line and advanced at a much faster pace. (see Pickets Charge for detail)

3. Naval warfare saw the first experimentation with iron warships, armoured warships, deck mounted turrets, low profile deck plans, breachloading cannon, percussion shells and submarine warfare. Huge developments which were to shape thinking in naval warfare until the advent of the Aircraft Carrier.

4. The ACW was also the first war in history where it was openly acknowledged that civilians and civilian property was a legimate target. Hence in theoretical terms it was the first application of the doctrine of 'Total War', where destruction of a countries ability to sustain itself and its war effort was as much a goal as the destruction of its armies. See General Sherman, and Sherman's march to the sea,

'You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.'
    William Tecumeseh Sherman - Army of the Tennessee and Military Division of the Mississippi.

5. You might also wish to mention the impact of the railroad on both the logistic's, strategy and conduct of the war. The ACW was the first major conflict where the area of operations was heavy serviced by railways. They had a major impact on the Union strategy for prosecuting the war and their destruction had a major impact on the operations of the South. Several major battles were fought over railroad junctions, and their associated storage of supplies, some historians even point out that Union strategy was so highly tied to major railroad links that it enabled the South to anticipate Union army movements and much easier for them to mass their armies in the right locations to meet them.

Basically, if you covered all those points in detail, you wouldn't have an English Essay, you'd have a book. Good Luck, hope you get a good mark.
    Last edited by Didz; June 01, 2011 at 05:15 AM.

"To what extent did German hopes that a peace settlement would be based on Woodrow Wilsons 'Fourteen Points' come to be frustrated?"

What say ye? A large essay for university. I have near finished but I would be interested to read your opinions.
    Last edited by CrayonVonCaesar; June 01, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

Ancient Aliens's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonVonCaesar View Post
    "To what extent did German hopes that a peace settlement would be based on Woodrow Wilsons 'Fourteen Points' come to be frustrated?"

What say ye? A large essay for university. I have near finished but I would be interested to read your opinions.
    Well first off, the United States itself failed to join the proposed 'League of Nations', which was the most important point.

Points 1, 3, 4, and 5, were also unfairly skewed out of the Germans favor.

These being (in order):

1. No secret diplomacy.
    3. As much free trade as possible.
    4. Reduction of armaments.
    5. Changes in colonial claims.

Germany signed the agreement on the pretext of these fourteen points, with many of them being violated. The other major instigators of WW2 of course being the enormous war debts that Germany faced from WWI and the international pressure for them to remain unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonVonCaesar View Post

I would be very interested in what you said. What year are you on?
    If it wasn't for the fact I have my own exams I would love to spend some time answering this( yes I enjoy, this sort of thing)
    PS How many words did you have?

Heres is one from me( I can assure you this is a past question)
    Show how Homer developes the themes of Nostos (νόστος) in Odessey?
    Last edited by Constantius; June 03, 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    Heres is one from me( I can assure you this is a past question)
    Show how Homer developes the themes of Nostos (νόστος) in Odessey?
    More of a literary question if you ask me, as 'Nostos' deals with themes of nostalgia. The term 'Nostoi' is used to describe literary works of such themes, themes that we would call today "Returning Home Epics", "Nostalgia Epics", or "Homecoming Epics".

As to the question, I would say that the most impactful development of the 'Nostos' theme in the Odyssey is when Odysseus was missing his wife and was wanting to return home while on Calypso's Island. Even though Calypso offers to make Odysseus her immortal husband, he chooses to leave her island in order to return to his wife Penelope, despite the monumental offer Calypso is giving him, and the hardships he would have to endure to get back home.

There are many more instances of this theme throughout the Odyssey, and I would say that the Odyssey is actually the quintessential 'nostoi'. You should have an easy time of giving more examples

Good luck!

I wrote a thesis on nostos tales, PM me for help if you need it

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

can someone link me to any good sites dealing with the effects of the Aztecs on modern day mexico?
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    can someone link me to any good sites dealing with the effects of the Aztecs on modern day mexico?
    How interesting that I couldn't find a single website dedicated towards it...

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    I wrote a thesis on nostos tales, PM me for help if you need it
    Thanks, the question was a past exam question, I just wondered how other people might answer it

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Hi AtheistDane,

Yes, I have a few key points that I think you need to stress, and ought to help you produce an interesting peice.

1. The ACW inspired a rapid development in firearms technology. At the start of the war the majority of troops were armed with the same type of smooth bore, mussle loaded weapons that had been used in the American War of Independence, but by the end of the war the percentage of rifled, breachloaded and rapid firing weapons had increased significantly. Increasing the lethality of warfare and forcing a change in tactic's towards more extended formations and greater use of cover.

2. As mentioned above tactic's evolved rapidly to more extended formations and more rapid movement. Earlier armies using purely smoothbore weapons had usually fought shoulder to shoulder in dense formations that advanced at an artificially slow pace (76 paces per minute for the British), but as the weapons became more lethal such tactic's would have been suicide in an ACW battlefield and so most units adopted a much more extended line and advanced at a much faster pace. (see Pickets Charge for detail)

3. Naval warfare saw the first experimentation with iron warships, armoured warships, deck mounted turrets, low profile deck plans, breachloading cannon, percussion shells and submarine warfare. Huge developments which were to shape thinking in naval warfare until the advent of the Aircraft Carrier.

4. The ACW was also the first war in history where it was openly acknowledged that civilians and civilian property was a legimate target. Hence in theoretical terms it was the first application of the doctrine of 'Total War', where destruction of a countries ability to sustain itself and its war effort was as much a goal as the destruction of its armies. See General Sherman, and Sherman's march to the sea,

'You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.' William Tecumeseh Sherman - Army of the Tennessee and Military Division of the Mississippi.

5. You might also wish to mention the impact of the railroad on both the logistic's, strategy and conduct of the war. The ACW was the first major conflict where the area of operations was heavy serviced by railways. They had a major impact on the Union strategy for prosecuting the war and their destruction had a major impact on the operations of the South. Several major battles were fought over railroad junctions, and their associated storage of supplies, some historians even point out that Union strategy was so highly tied to major railroad links that it enabled the South to anticipate Union army movements and much easier for them to mass their armies in the right locations to meet them.

Basically, if you covered all those points in detail, you wouldn't have an English Essay, you'd have a book. Good Luck, hope you get a good mark.
    Thank you for your answer.

Very good points. But as the scale of the assignment is only 7-8 pages excluding pictures I think I'll concentrate on the land warfare of the ACW.

I have thus far divided the assignment into 3 sections: small arms, artillery and munitions.

As for small arms I intend to mention the most widely used smoothbores, rifled musket, repeating rifles/carbines and revolvers.
    On artillery I have written about a page worth on the 12pdr Napoleon, the 3inch Ordnance Rifle and
    In the munitions section I have about a fourth of a page on the Minié ball with pictures showing the hollow base of the Minié expands when fired and thus grips the rifling increasing effective range and accuracy.
    (The Minié ball didn't have greater/longer range than a musketball as they used the same powder charge, right?)

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens View Post
    How interesting that I couldn't find a single website dedicated towards it...
    well i've gone about as far as a google search takes me and most websites are either retarded or just have only a little information about aztec influence and instead just devote pages and pages to the history of the aztecs.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    well i've gone about as far as a google search takes me and most websites are either retarded or just have only a little information about aztec influence and instead just devote pages and pages to the history of the aztecs.
    Have you tried the Journal of Latin American Studies?
    Matthew D. O'Hara, A Flock Divided: Race, Religion, and Politics in Mexico, 1749–1857 (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2010), pp. xi+316, £62.00, £15.99 pb.
    Last edited by Constantius; June 07, 2011 at 08:46 AM.

Signature made by Joar