Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Colonies were kind of circular and trapped. They provided the resources and many times could then only purchase manufactured goods from the parent nation. In response to Empr Guy, it hurt nations that did not industrialize. Whereas in the past agricultural economy they would not have lagged so far behind instead they became leaps and bounds behind more industrialized nations.

I would go with B and argue that the British could and did lose to Zulus (Africans). Example being the Battle of Isandlwana. It was rare and is really only noted because it showed that they could win, but in general Europeans stomped any colonies due to technological superiority. A fun note that I always like about that battle was that even though the Zulus absolutely slaughtered the British regulars, they were told to not attack anyone in black because that meant they were civilians and they followed this order (ironically this spared the officers though because of their dark blue uniforms lol)

D is most definitely not the answer. Europe (and more importantly the industrialized parts of Europe) were far outproducing what their own markets demanded. If there had been no foreign markets (their own colonies) to sell to, then Europe would have gone into a deep recession/depression due to overproduction.
    Last edited by Tiberius Tosi; January 22, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Not too sure about that, they lost once in 79, that was pretty much it, that was the biggest loss to native forces. C is interesting, but I can see what it means by environment, but not economies

B is the only answer because it is patently false. Even if the incidents were isolated, they still happened.

Quote Originally Posted by pvtgunny View Post
    Not too sure about that, they lost once in 79, that was pretty much it, that was the biggest loss to native forces. C is interesting, but I can see what it means by environment, but not economies
    B states that none of them could be defeated as in at all, I think it is hinting towards the fact that while it was not the norm, it could and did still happen. No matter how primitive a force is they are still under the right conditions capable of beating a force superior to them.

I think you are misreading C, it is referring to the practice of Monoculture, not of the Industrial Revolution in general. The practice of monoculture is growing a single crop repeatedly year after year after year. This works great until (I'll use the Midwest US for example here) you have planted corn 10 years in a row and it has sucked all the nitrogen out of the soil. The reason for crop rotation of Soy Beans here is to put nitrogen back into the soil (which Soy Beans do very efficiently) and thus the soil is never rid of any nutrients needed to keep growing crops on that field. The environmental problems of this are usually that the soil becomes to barren and little can be effectively grown. The economic problems caused by the environment problems are obvious, less crops can be grown and therefore agricultural production drops rampantly (hell monoculture, coupled with tilling fields barren before winter, pretty much caused the dustbowl in the US during the 30's).

Monoculture arose as a result of farmers attempting to copy efficient factory practices. It does indeed make the most sense to take a big area and devote it solely to one crop type, however nature isn't like a factory and because of soil nutrients and disease this just simply doesn't work.
    Gotta get used to reading into answers like C very carefully, college professors love to pull that kind of . I had to read it three times before I realized it was indeed about monoculture and not the industrial revolution in general.
    Last edited by Tiberius Tosi; January 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Gotcha, I suppose B is the right answer then

Sticking strictly to the question as put -

e.g. Which of the following was not a major global effect of the Industrial Revolution?

I would say D and C.

D because as already stated the gathering of colonies began long before the growth of industrialisation and so cannot be an effect of it. In fact, in many respects its the other way about and it was the massive influx of resources from the colonies that tended to fuel industrialisation. e.g. Cotton produced Cotton Mills.

C I've added because I can't see any obvious link between huge fields of wheat and corn etc. and the Industrial revolution. There is a tenuous link between the monopolisation of land ownership and the reduction on the reliance on subsistence farming, and there was a need to improve food distribution to feed the cities of workers working in the factories. But this didn't always result in a monoculture and still hasn't in some area's. So I would argue that whilst the industiral revolution was one essential pre-requisite of the esistence of monocultures, it did not directly render them necessary.

B. Is an interesting one. Strictly speaking its wrong as its written. Western Nations were defeated by African's in battle on several occassions, despite their industrially produced weapons. But I'm interpreting B to really mean that Western Nations could not be defeated or subdued by African Nations which is almost certainly a product of their superior weaponry and available manpower.
    Last edited by Didz; January 23, 2011 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Sticking strictly to the question as put -

e.g. Which of the following was not a major global effect of the Industrial Revolution?

I would say D and C.

D because as already stated the gathering of colonies began long before the growth of industrialisation and so cannot be an effect of it. In fact, in many respects its the other way about and it was the massive influx of resources from the colonies that tended to fuel industrialisation. e.g. Cotton produced Cotton Mills.
    I would argue that the production increase caused by the industrial revolution meant that Europe was even more-so overproducing for the European markets, and thus had to sell manufactured goods back to the colonies to open more markets. Hence this explains the rapid search for new colonies by all European powers (and even to a minor extent the United States) in an attempt to gain more markets in which to sell their products as well as suck more resources out of. While yes the European powers did need the raw materials from the colonies in order to produce their goods, it was still they that were manufacturing the goods and forcing their colonies to buy from the parent nation.

C I've added because I can't see any obvious link between huge fields of wheat and corn etc. and the Industrial revolution. There is a tenuous link between the monopolisation of land ownership and the reduction on the reliance on subsistence farming, and there was a need to improve food distribution to feed the cities of workers working in the factories. But this didn't always result in a monoculture and still hasn't in some area's. So I would argue that whilst the industiral revolution was one essential pre-requisite of the esistence of monocultures, it did not directly render them necessary.
    Monoculture happened as people sold up land and moved into cities and entities reminiscing plantations grew up all over the European countryside. Monoculture is not a good practice as I believe you think it to be, it actually ruins farmland and cuts production of agriculture drastically. I only arose because wealthy landowners were looking to maximize profits and thus copies the industrial template of mass production and attempted to carry it over into farming. However, as I stated in my previous post, this did not work and left many areas producing at a fraction of possible output. Of course monoculture did not happen everywhere and it did happen before the Industrial Revolution, but the point is that its practice skyrocketed during the Industrial Revolution and did indeed lead to environmental and economic problems (which today are known how to solve in developed nations)

B. Is an interesting one. Strictly speaking its wrong as its written. Western Nations were defeated by African's in battle on several occassions, despite their industrially produced weapons. But I'm interpreting B to really mean that Western Nations could not be defeated or subdued by African Nations which is almost certainly a product of their superior weaponry and available manpower.
    The key words to answer B is "in battle". This clearly means that during the course of one singular isolated battle that a Western European nation could not be (and was not) defeated by any African force. This is of course, as I pointed out, incorrect and African tribes did defeat a European force. The words "in battle" eliminate, in my opinion, any interpretation of it meaning that an African nation subdued or outright defeated a Western power altogether and drove them out, but instead it is meaning to say that because of Western European technology that it was impossible for them to lose to a primitive African force in a single battle (which of course is incorrect).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    Hence this explains the rapid search for new colonies by all European powers (and even to a minor extent the United States) in an attempt to gain more markets in which to sell their products as well as suck more resources out of.
    Whilst I can understand the logic being put forward here, I don’t see any evidence to support the conclusion reached. The simple fact is that the drive for colonial expansion began long before the industrial revolution and it was the resources from these colonies that enabled the rapid development of industries like the textile industry rather than providing a market for the end product. Ultimately, one does not need to rule a population to sell them something they want, but one does need to rule them to ensure you have a monopoly upon their resource output.
    Monoculture happened as people sold up land and moved into cities and entities reminiscing plantations grew up all over the European countryside. Monoculture is not a good practice as I believe you think it to be, it actually ruins farmland and cuts production of agriculture drastically. I only arose because wealthy landowners were looking to maximize profits and thus copies the industrial template of mass production and attempted to carry it over into farming. However, as I stated in my previous post, this did not work and left many areas producing at a fraction of possible output. Of course monoculture did not happen everywhere and it did happen before the Industrial Revolution, but the point is that its practice skyrocketed during the Industrial Revolution and did indeed lead to environmental and economic problems (which today are known how to solve in developed nations)
    First of all I don’t know where you get the idea that I support the concept of a monoculture.

Personally, I have no particular axe to grind on the issue, it is what it is and we have to live with the consequences of our decisions.

However, I can only repeat that I can see no direct link between the Industrial Revolution and the development of monocultures. The development of industry and the migration of rural populations to the cities began long before the development of the first monocultures, and as already stated such monocultures only evolved in certain countries and in certain conditions.

I do agree that where monocultures have developed the inspiration behind them was probably based upon the application of concepts developed for industrial production, but the main motive was undoubtedly greed rather than necessity. The idea that monocultures are a necessity because of the industrial revolution sounds like an excuse to justify the decision and distract the blame.

The key words to answer B is "in battle". This clearly means that during the course of one singular isolated battle that a Western European nation could not be (and was not) defeated by any African force. This is of course, as I pointed out, incorrect and African tribes did defeat a European force. The words "in battle" eliminate, in my opinion, any interpretation of it meaning that an African nation subdued or outright defeated a Western power altogether and drove them out, but instead it is meaning to say that because of Western European technology that it was impossible for them to lose to a primitive African force in a single battle (which of course is incorrect).
    Yes, I agree that if interpreted literally the statement is wrong. African tribes were able to defeat Western Nations in battle after the Industrial Revolution.

My only reservation hinged on the possibility that the person who formulated the question might not have the same understanding of the meaning of the term ‘in battle’ as we do on this military history forum. Some academic’s. particularly foreign one’s can be extremely obtuse when it comes to defining words, and they might think that ‘in battle’ is synonymous with ‘in conflict’.

After all don’t you think the question itself is a bit odd anyway. For example why are African’s singled out as the outclassed nation. In reality over half the world was dominated by the Western nations as a consequence of greater industrialisation, an imbalance which is only just beginning to be redressed since WW2.

So, I’m curious why the question is focussed simply on African’s who really weren’t really the main focus of this military power. It almost has racist overtones.

Default Where can I find more Information about...

...this wonderful fellow?
    Geoffrey de Mandeville, 1st Earl of Essex

I've located only one book that is somewhat dated to say the least, but I want to know if there are better places to look.
    Last edited by Saturn; January 25, 2011 at 03:50 PM.

Not so much a question about homework but does anyone know a good book on the history of Colonial Virginia? Primarily eighteenth century Virginia but a general volume would be great aswell.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default Information about the Kingdom of Epirus

Are there any good books or sites about the organization of the Epirote Kingdom and its Army, before, during and after the reign of Pyrrhus?
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Indefinitely Banned
    The People's Glorious Republic of Ireland

Default Re: Information about the Kingdom of Epirus

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Are there any good books or sites about the organization of the Epirote Kingdom and its Army, before, during and after the reign of Pyrrhus?
    Not that i know of man... Not in detail.

Heres some sites i found though
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/.../Pyrrhus*.html
    http://www.livius.org/ps-pz/pyrrhus/pyrrhus03.html
    http://www.livius.org/ap-ark/appian/...samnite_1.html

Livius is usually a good site... It got me through the Punic Wars rather well!

Hey, this is kind of an odd request but does anyone know where I could find out how Islamic cities handled waste disposal during the middle ages? I'm familiar with European cities, but how did the Muslims deal with the stuff?

What were Hitler's economic policies in the 30's and how did they get Germany out of the depression?

Quote Originally Posted by cardnals100 View Post
    What were Hitler's economic policies in the 30's and how did they get Germany out of the depression?
    Simple Keynesian economics. Government spending financed via borrowing is invested in the form of infrastructure investments and redistribution. This gives the economy a kick up the backside and the multiplier effect kicks in making the value to the economy greater than the amount originally invested. This investment creates jobs, which stimulates spending, which creates more jobs, which stimulates more spending etc etc.

The Nazi Party never ran a balanced budget, they continually ran deficit budgets to artificially stimulate the economy. It also helped that many Jews were thrown out of their jobs and these jobs given to unemployed men. Furthermore the Nazi Party ideology of the 'hausfrau' meant that men had less competition in the workplace and also some extra jobs opened up for them.

Thus Keynesian economics + restructuring of the socio-economic structure of the workplace = better life and job prospects for German males. On the flip side Jews lost out massively and a some of the pre existing unemployment wasn't solved, merely shifted from German men to Jewish men.

It's important to note that the depression never really ended until WW2 even in Germany. It just became compartively less severe. The only nation that really avoided the depression was the Soviet Union and that's because of it's brutal state directed economy and the fact it was growing off a rather small base compared to it's potential.
    Last edited by Londinium; February 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Well I'm hoping someone will respond here...

I have to read two books, and write analysis papers on said books for my Western Civ course.

Anyone got any good recommendations on what I could read? Maybe some pointers towards some good, but not too huge, Roman orientated books?

Keep in mind, it's Western Civ I, so only up to 1500 AD folks.

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinmajere8 View Post
    Well I'm hoping someone will respond here...

I have to read two books, and write analysis papers on said books for my Western Civ course.

Anyone got any good recommendations on what I could read? Maybe some pointers towards some good, but not too huge, Roman orientated books?

Keep in mind, it's Western Civ I, so only up to 1500 AD folks.
    Strictly about the Romans?

I'll add two useful additions to your request for quality, but not overly lengthy books....cheap price, and newer scholarship.

Here's two fresh suggestions on recent books (both published in 2010) that I have enjoyed that deal with the Romans.

The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic by Robert L. O'Connell

-Great stuff; the story of the Punic Wars centering on the Battle of Cannae, one of Rome's worst ever defeats, and how this loss impacted the Roman psyche in the short and long term.

Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth, on the Eastern Roman Empire, from Diocletian to the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

-Great narrative, easy to follow. Reads almost like a novel. Will allow you to focus on the Romans while tying together a large chunk of the period covered in traditional Western Civ I courses.
    Last edited by Xanthippus of Sparta; February 16, 2011 at 08:05 AM.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

I ended up getting one of your suggestions, Lost to the West, and another that a friend suggested, Scipio Africanus: Greater than Napoleon by B.H. Liddell Hart.

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinmajere8 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions mate.

I ended up getting one of your suggestions, Lost to the West, and another that a friend suggested, Scipio Africanus: Greater than Napoleon by B.H. Liddell Hart.

Nice...

Good to focus on Scipio, arguablly the central figure of the Republic. Haven't read the book but I've added it to a list of have saved on Amazon of books that I will buy in the future.

Let me know how it goes.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

I need some help for an assignment. Does anyone have a map of pre-colonial India, more specifically: during 1661 ad?
    Or if they could list the major empire, princley states, etc...

A responce would me much apreciated.

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV