Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

That's very interesting. The U.S. had around 8 million right? The U.S. was also vastly bigger, still the Dutch Republic was no city state or tiny confederacy. So do you think one could say the Dutch were truly the first modern (major, that is to say non city-state) Republic?
    "Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln.
    (War is merely the continuation of politics by other means.)

The first true Republic? Define it.

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

Well, in the more modern age I mean. A republic that is also a proper state, not just confined to a city. In the enlightenment era there was a lot of discussion whether a Republic could function on a significant scale. So I want to know what the first Republic was that was more than just a city state or a few thousand inhabitants say after 500 A.D. or so.

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by War&Politics View Post
    That's very interesting. The U.S. had around 8 million right? The U.S. was also vastly bigger, still the Dutch Republic was no city state or tiny confederacy. So do you think one could say the Dutch were truly the first modern (major, that is to say non city-state) Republic?
    Technically I think the Dutch Republic was indeed the first Republic. It still had some medieval ingredients though, via the Stadholder (Stadhouder), the representative of the medieval lord owning the Netherlands. I dont know much about the Venetian Republic, or other Italian republics though. They might have been enlarged city states instead of actual states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

Quote Originally Posted by War&Politics View Post
    Yes, probably. There were earlier Republican states, like several Russian and Italian ones, but these were city states. The US based it's Declaration of Independence, and even the Constitution somewhat on the Acte van Verlatinghe and the Unie van Utrecht. It had a Stadtholder, which was nearly always drawn from the Oranje-Nassau family. There were several periods of Stadtholder-less periods. For most of the time of the Republic de Staten-Generaal was the most influential body, along with the Raadspensionaris. De Regenten were a socially mobile class. Whilst they were generally aristocrats, many wealthy merchants became Regents, and it wasn't that hard to become a wealthy merchant in that period.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

I was wondering if anyone has any good pictures that relates to Egypt that i can use. I have showed some maps of Egypts largest empires so far and i could use any pictures that you can think of thats historic. military, old buildings, paintings whatever!

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

....I'd say just run a google images search.

There should be a wealth of pictures available.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    The US based it's Declaration of Independence, and even the Constitution somewhat on the Acte van Verlatinghe and the Unie van Utrecht.
    Can i get a source?

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

I don't know if this should be in this topic as it isn't really 'homework' I'm editing some of the Napoleon quotes in NTW for a mod you see.

In the Localisation.loc, in which the quotes are stored, it doesnt really tell you who said what unless you search for them as the quote 'author' and the quote itself are stored in different places. The only other possible way I've found is to simply constantly reload my campaign map so the loading screen appears and I can view the quotes.

I'm struggling to find which historical figures said the follow as it appears in the game:

"I die."

"Prudence approaches, conscience accuses."

"For God's Sake be sure you do not risk the cannon."

"There's only one truth about war: people die."

I have done a little searching myself, although searching for 'I die' isnt exactly specific. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lewis
    Last edited by LuckyLewis; April 23, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Could anyone tell me what exactly the medieval Norman word maçue means? Is it a club or a mace, or both?
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Not sure if I'll find an answer here but I was wondering if anyone had any solid facts on the Battle of Stirling Bridge? I'm trying to get an accurate troop count but some sources say that the Scots had about 2,300, others say 10,000 and one even says 40,000 (unlikely I know) and that the English had about 12,000 or 50,000 and even 60,000.

With these kind of jumps between numbers I'm not even sure how many troops there was on each side. I'm trying to get a good internet source but it's not really happening.
    Last edited by Alba gu Brath; April 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the Holy Roman Empire and the Austrian Empire? These are the facts as I know them
    - The Holy Roman Empire dissolved in 1806 after the Battle of Austerlitz, which basically crushed the Third Coalition. Francis II abdicated.
    - Francis II, the Holy Roman Emperor, founded the Austrian Empire in 1804.
    -Francis II of the HRE then became Francis I of the Austrian Empire.
    - Francis was of the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine.
    Why would Francis secede from his own empire? I don't understand the situation.
    Last edited by Astor; April 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Quote Originally Posted by Alba gu Brath View Post
    Not sure if I'll find an answer here but I was wondering if anyone had any solid facts on the Battle of Stirling Bridge? I'm trying to get an accurate troop count but some sources say that the Scots had about 2,300, others say 10,000 and one even says 40,000 (unlikely I know) and that the English had about 12,000 or 50,000 and even 60,000.

With these kind of jumps between numbers I'm not even sure how many troops there was on each side. I'm trying to get a good internet source but it's not really happening.
    Generally medieval armies of this period were quite small and primarily comprised of professional soldiers (although some old school historians would rant about the 'peasant levy'), particularly in regards to internal military campaigns in the British Isles. It's not until the 15th and 16th centuries do we see armies as large as 60,000. The English army of the 1297 campaign would have only been about 10,000 or less, I would personally say 8,500-9000 - Edward I at this point was currently with the Royal army in Flanders so that would have limited the soldiers de Warrenne could muster in the North. The Scots army would have been much smaller by comparison so I would say that the 2,300 figure was reasonable enough.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Generally medieval armies of this period were quite small and primarily comprised of professional soldiers (although some old school historians would rant about the 'peasant levy'), particularly in regards to internal military campaigns in the British Isles. It's not until the 15th and 16th centuries do we see armies as large as 60,000. The English army of the 1297 campaign would have only been about 10,000 or less, I would personally say 8,500-9000 - Edward I at this point was currently with the Royal army in Flanders so that would have limited the soldiers de Warrenne could muster in the North. The Scots army would have been much smaller by comparison so I would say that the 2,300 figure was reasonable enough.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba gu Brath View Post

I have that info, its contianed on the muster rolls, and how many turned up and got payed along with the Kings rools of those who owed him service, so i can give you the numbers for the campaigna, and those present at the battle witha fair degree of certaity, the Scots side is anothe rmatter, ill find and popst for you by Friday.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

M Prestwick Edward I

Page 470 onwards

Paraphrase aqcouple of pages.

1296 Edward asked the shires to provide 60,000 infantry and 1000 MAArms to assemble at Newcastle, in addition to the Royal Household troops,( 522 foot, 338 mounted) pay rolls for this show less than half requested arrived and drew pay ( 1296 vampaign cost the crown £21,443, suggesteing a sum of 25k total payed service) Irish contribution was 1 Earl, 8 Bannwerets, 26 Knights,261 Hobilars, 27 croosbowmen, 2,549 infantry.

1297. Contracts for Warrene, Norfolk,Warwick, Glocester and H Percy for service under pay in Scotland issued, Plus royal Houshold ( 3000 mounted knights, 110 recived compensation for a warhose slain oin battle) Plus 30,000 shire levies called up, 18500 arrived. 148000 went to Sctland and were in recipt of pay, as were 10,900 Welsh.

There is no specific numbers for those present at Stirling, hope the above helps.

60,000 comes from Barrow, Robert the Bruce who looked at the numbers requested to assemble, and assumed they all did and that they were all acepted into service.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    M Prestwick Edward I

Page 470 onwards

Paraphrase aqcouple of pages.

1296 Edward asked the shires to provide 60,000 infantry and 1000 MAArms to assemble at Newcastle, in addition to the Royal Household troops,( 522 foot, 338 mounted) pay rolls for this show less than half requested arrived and drew pay ( 1296 vampaign cost the crown £21,443, suggesteing a sum of 25k total payed service) Irish contribution was 1 Earl, 8 Bannwerets, 26 Knights,261 Hobilars, 27 croosbowmen, 2,549 infantry.

1297. Contracts for Warrene, Norfolk,Warwick, Glocester and H Percy for service under pay in Scotland issued, Plus royal Houshold ( 3000 mounted knights, 110 recived compensation for a warhose slain oin battle) Plus 30,000 shire levies called up, 18500 arrived. 148000 went to Sctland and were in recipt of pay, as were 10,900 Welsh.

There is no specific numbers for those present at Stirling, hope the above helps.

60,000 comes from Barrow, Robert the Bruce who looked at the numbers requested to assemble, and assumed they all did and that they were all acepted into service.
    Nice one man, thanks very much!

hi guys. im doing my history a level in 3 weeks and im bricking it. im doing the reighn of louis XIV and the british colonies and was wondering if anyone had a link to either past papers, example questions, or did it themselves and can offer any words of wisdom. i know its quite an open quesion so ill be thankful for any help

It is too much an open question. Be more specific, and watch your spelling.

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

I'd imagine there would be dedicated books or websites for that kind of thing. In South Africa you can go to any bookstore and buy a special exam guide book for the standardized exams filled with example questions, past papers etc. If they have it here they must have it over there! Maybe try going to a bookshop or googling for such a website.