Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with History Homework?

Default Re: Need Help with History Homework?

Who is the most powerful maritime power in 15th century?
    It's a test correction in which i am trying to persuade my teacher that Portugal was not the most powerful maritime power in the 15th century.
    Please help.
    I have a C so far if i can get this and two more challenges i move to a B.
    Got nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by pericles_plato View Post
    Who is the most powerful maritime power in 15th century?
    It's a test correction in which i am trying to persuade my teacher that Portugal was not the most powerful maritime power in the 15th century.
    Please help.
    I have a C so far if i can get this and two more challenges i move to a B.
    The problem as I understand it is that until about 1650 the documented history of naval warfare is pretty scarce as the navies themselves did not keep tangible records. Most historian's researching this period have concentrated on one of two satellite area's where historical references are easier to come by e.g. either the impact of maritime power in the form of trade and colonisation, or the wealth of historical documents discussing the art of naval warfare which was undergoing a big transformation at the time and generated a lot of paperwork discussing the subject.

As far, as actual warfare and navies are concerned the only really detailed focus is centred on a few major events such as The Battle of Lepanto and The Sanish Armada. So, it actually makes it quite hard to come up with a definitive answer to the question put.

One could argue that the nation which managed to generate the most trade, and achieve the greatest expansion in its imperial colonies must by implication have had the most powerful navy, but that might not be the case as neither trade nor colonisation is solely a product of naval strength. Likewise, the fact, that a particular nation was the most active in naval research and development does not necessarily mean it was the most powerful.
    (Warfare at Sea, 1500-1650: Maritime Conflicts and the Transformation of Europe by Jan Glete)
    http://www.lybrary.com/warfare-at-se...pe-p-3115.html

There is a section in the above book which discusses the role of the Portuguese fleet in the Indian ocean during this period making the point that it was not the largest fleet in the area (A small fleet in a big ocean), but was actually outnumbered in terms of ships by the Chinese. However, the Portuguese fleet was handled aggressively combining both trade with aggression and thus dominated the ocean earning itself both allies and enemies in the surrounding area and giving itself a degree of influence far in excess of its actual strength. The Ottoman Fleet for example tried to challenge the Portufuese in the Indian ocean but failed to do so in a co-ordinated way, squandering their strength in a series a small challenges which achieved nothing. Some of this book can be read using the preview feature, though how much is relevant to your needs is difficult to determine.
    Last edited by Didz; February 11, 2010 at 02:37 AM.

The answer depends on few factors (the period, the sea/seas in discussion). In the Mediterranean, for the first half of the century I would say Venice; for the second half the answer is more problematic. The Venetian hegemony in the Mediterranean was more and more contested by the rise of maritime Ottoman power. The fleet supported Mehmed II troops in the conquest of Constantinople (1453) and than in 1470 during the siege and the conquest on Negroponte (Euboea). This last event occurred because, according to Venetian chronicle of Domenico Malipiero, the Venetian admiral Nicolo Da Canal refused to engage the Ottoman galleys. His decision was explained by the overwhelming Ottoman superiority.
    This trend in the maritime balance of power was reinforced at the end of the century be the Venetian-Ottoman war (1499-1503). Again, the Venetian fleet refused to engage the Ottoman navy in the battle of Zonchio, and without the fleet’s support the Venetian possessions in Peloponnesus (Coron, Modon etc.) fell one upon another.
    The rise of the Portuguese maritime power was also impressive and the discovery of the Cape route provoked some disturbance on the Venetian spice trade but, in the long run, Portugal was unable to cut the ancient trade routes or to expel the Muslim merchants from the Indian Ocean. Also the Cape route was long, dangerous and the logistic difficulties to maintain an important fleet in the Indian Ocean were also considerables.
    I don’t know if all of this helps you. You may check some good books on the subject like Palmyra Brumett, Ottoman Seapower and Levantine diplomacy in the Age of discovery, New York 1994 or Donald, Weinstein, Ambassador from Venice, Piero Pasqualigo in Lisbon (1501), Minneapolis, 1960 (important for Venetian perception on Portuguese expansion).

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I am sure most people have been in my situation, I am not sure if it fits here because it's more of a social problem than a factual problem but I am working with a group assignment about British imperialism and in my opinion my work is really good. There is no I in group though and today when we started to put our work together I realized everything I hadn't done was utter crap.

Can you tell someone their work is or how should I proceed? I'm probably overreacting and need some sleep but I still find it very annoying

Biarchus

Welcome to the world of slack arsed coasters. I hated group projects when I was at uni because everyone I was arbitrarily teamed up with was a pot head who thought everyone else would do the work. I may have been a pot head too ( I refuse to confirm or deny and being charged is very different to being convicted )but I got the work done and then I may or may not have had bucket bongs for breakfast. Priorites, man!

Talk to your teacher / lecturer and tell them you're not happy with the rest of the team's work. Finish the assignment yourself and hand over half a page of scribbled garbage to the rest of the group ie match the input of the slackest member and tell them if it's acceptable for X then it should be acceptable for you too.
    "I'll tell you what rule sir....we applied Rule 303. We caught them and we shot them under RULE THREE OH THREE!"

"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"

konny's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by rubenandthejets View Post
    Welcome to the world of slack arsed coasters. I hated group projects when I was at uni because everyone I was arbitrarily teamed up with was a pot head who thought everyone else would do the work.
    In Germany we say, TEAM means "Toll, ein anderer macht's" (=fine, someone else is doing it).

As someone who is organizing work everyday I can confirm that there is nothing least effectiv than putting two or more persons on the same task and expecting them to share work on their own.
    Last edited by konny; March 03, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Team member of: Das Heilige Römische Reich, Europa Barbarorum, Europa Barbarorum II, East of Rome
    Modding help by Konny: Excel Traitgenerator, Setting Heirs to your preference
    dHRR 0.8 beta released! get it here
    New: Native America! A mini-mod for Kingdoms America

Tiewearingfish's Avatar Laetus

I'm not really a regular on this site but have been playing total war a while
    Anyway i thought i would give this ago as im pretty stuck with an essay
    The title is "What were the difficulties faced by the new leaders of the Crusader States up to 1130?"
    I have books on some of the political, geographical and demographic problems faced but feel their abit lacking and i feel im missing some important points
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Ok guys, for school I have to find 11 things for an assignment.

Its about Hellenism.

So I got:
    - Articles
    - Books
    - Childrens Book
    - Movie (Alexander)

And a few others, now I have to find an object. Do you guys think a Macedonian flag will do?

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

Oops. Accidental double post. This one can be deleted.
    "Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln.
    (War is merely the continuation of politics by other means.)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlassmurf View Post

Its about Hellenism.

So I got:
    - Articles
    - Books
    - Childrens Book
    - Movie (Alexander)

And a few others, now I have to find an object. Do you guys think a Macedonian flag will do?
    Stop at a local coin dealer and ask them if they have any cheap ancient Greek or Roman Imperial Coins (Roman Imperial- Greek Coins Issued during the Roman empire). In worn condition these coins are often surprisingly cheap.

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

Hey

Not history exactly, but the answer may very well lie with commanders of old.

What is the @#$% link between command, management and leadership? My ideas are vague and after plenty of books and hours on the net, I've just about had it.

Place your bet ladies and gentlemen, I'll take any and all comers...

I thank you kindly.

Can anyone give me a quote from an historian from the Antiquity talking about Hellenism? +rep if so.

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Hope it's not too late to help you guys...

I'll monitor this thread more often in the future.

Its about Hellenism.

So I got:
    - Articles
    - Books
    - Childrens Book
    - Movie (Alexander)

Maybe some pictures of art from that time, which was very important. Statues, architecture, etc... The influence of Hellenistic art can be seen as far away as India, even.

A modern Macedonian flag might work, but the state of Macedonia today has little to do with the Macedonia of Phillip, Alexander, or the Antigonids. It just occupies some of the northern part of what ancient Macedonia was considered to be.

Can anyone give me a quote from an historian from the Antiquity talking about Hellenism? +rep if so.
    I tried to find a quote that summed up the time as well as I could.

The Macedonians obtained dominion in Europe from the lands bordering on the Adriatic to the Danube,—which after all is but a small fraction of this continent,—and, by the destruction of the Persian Empire, they afterwards added to that the dominion of Asia. And yet, though they had the credit of having made themselves masters of a larger number of countries and states than any people had ever done, they still left the greater half of the inhabited world in the hands of others.
    -Polybius, The Histories, 1.2

...Polybius is comparing the Macedonian legacy to what the Romans would eventually do.
    Last edited by Xanthippus of Sparta; March 30, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Don't need it anymore.

Does anybody have a rough idea of the population of the Dutch Republic, say at the time of it's height?

Time of height? When? The area of the Dutch government changed quite a lot during there so-called 'prime'.

Time of height? When? The area of the Dutch government changed quite a lot during there so-called 'prime'.
    I just want to know if the Dutch Republic ever compared in population size to the United States of America at the time of its foundation.

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by War&Politics View Post
    I just want to know if the Dutch Republic ever compared in population size to the United States of America at the time of its foundation.
    While I dont know the exact numbers (something in my head says around 3 million), I do know that in the seventeenth century the Dutch Republic was a highly urbanized society. It's countryside was littered with large fortified cities making it hard to conquer, and was in this sense comparable to Northern Italy. The United States at their time of foundation were largely agrarian I suppose and definitely not as densely populated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

Quote Originally Posted by War&Politics View Post
    Around 3 to 4 million. (1782)