Thread: Naval Feedback: Raking Shots

Default Naval Feedback: Raking Shots

I love all the work that has been done to fine tune maneuvering, reload times etc. The mod has taken a big step away from the ridiculous arcade battles we had in vanilla. However, if it is possible to mod, I think raking shots need some work.

Is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the damage dealt out by raking shots? In my experience, shots through the stern of the ship seem to do less damage than a volley onto the ship's broadside.

For example, I delivered a point blank (5-10 yards) broadside of round shot from a third rate into the stern of a galleon, results: 3 men killed and one gun dismounted. I like that there is a morale penalty when a ship receives shots through the stern, but this should be accompanied by serious casualties. I know that naval warfare in this game has an almost rock paper scissors approach (i.e. round shot for hull, chain for sails, grape for crew). But, when taking raking shots, round shot should be just as devastating to the crew numbers as grape shot.

What do others think?

Default Re: Naval Feedback: Raking Shots

Agreed, i found manual broadside in 1.4 too powerful in general but not for raking shots where as stated they were pretty much the same as shooting broadside, (alot of the cannons miss due to narrow target vs increased damage of raking shot) Probably just needs a bit of tweakin.

I see the hull strength and firepower all have been greatly mutiplied in darth mod, i suppose that way you get the more realistic damage effects. Ie no more floating swiss cheese ships.

I tend to switch my ship to "fire at will" when delivering a raking shot rather than using the manual fire. Too many shots are guaranteed to miss if you use manual fire.

So I guess that's part of the issue; by opting out of the manual broadside bonus I'm losing some damage. Still, a cannon ball traveling straight down length of the gun deck is going to make some heads roll, whether it was a manual broadside or not!

Agree, made a similar point actually.
    I did notice the morale of the target ship is affected from shots up the back so it has some effect.

Keep in mind accuracy has a lot to play, perhaps not at very close range but, a raking broadside has a lot less target area to aim for even though it shoukld do more damage to the crew as the shots travell all the way down the deck.

I think the diminished accuracy (outside of point blank range) is fine and is currently modeled well. It's the damage that's a problem... even iff most of the shotshit the effect is negligible.

I have to agree to the above....I almost blasted a 6th rates Hull to 6 till it actually sunk......with 2 5ths and 1 4th.....while my ships tend to route or sink with slightly yellow Hull sometimes...but this was in DM 1.3 have to try out the new 1.5

...well if you are talking about a naval feedback, I would strongly recommend to change the damage model of ships.

Currently the ships are ripped apart and you can easily look the whole ship. It reminds of Swiss Cheese.
    I would love to see small little holes instead of huge missing parts.
    After a big an long battle, OK, I would agree on having these huge holes, but not after the first hit!!!

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
    ...well if you are talking about a naval feedback, I would strongly recommend to change the damage model of ships.

Currently the ships are ripped apart and you can easily look the whole ship. It reminds of Swiss Cheese.
    I would love to see small little holes instead of huge missing parts.
    After a big an long battle, OK, I would agree on having these huge holes, but not after the first hit!!!
    Grape shot is totally unbalanced is like firing 3 full salvos.. it breaks the hull almost completely..

I have tried to avoid that, lowering Grape damage and increasing hull defense, ships now have more survavility..

So did you make it possible to have more little holes than having huge pieces missing?

upsettingshorts's Avatar Senator

Regarding raking fire, I seem to recall an awesome animated gif I made before the game was released detailing this very problem:

So yeah, make sure not to use broadside. In fact, I rarely use it at all, only when I'm about to board an enemy ship.

Nice gif

Yup I very rarely use broadside it unless I can direct them at a close ship.
    Broadside does off a 1.x damage value though, if you can use them and are able to get a good score of hits they are pretty useful.

I do use this tactic a lot actually in ship battles - cutting the line, if you can catch them between salvos and have the wind you can really cause some havoc - the plus side being that your ships fire damage is x2 because the other battery on the opposite side of the ship can fire as well.