Thread: TWE technical and game play status

Icon3 TWE technical and game play status

I'm trying to get more complex and comprehensive image of the game's current status without any emotional ballast or hearsay.

If you could post yours issues or confirm / deny the ones I have seen. I'm very interested in what's the game like from both technical and game play standpoint later on in grand campaign where I have not been able to get due to numerous CTDs.

Please, keep it civil, rational, focused and report ONLY issues you have personally experienced.

Optionally, if you are getting game breaking technical issues, try to add your hardware specs, OS and at least graphic and sound driver specs preferably in spoiler section at the end of your post. Run 'dxdiag' command to get the data. Also some indication to the nature of CTD can be read from Windows event log (right click on 'Computer' icon or link in Start menu, select 'Manage' and than Event viewer / Windows Logs / Application).

Thanks in advance.

This is MY experience with the game so far:

Technical issues

• Frequent "random" CTDs on campaign map with the rate at about 1 CTD per 4-5 turns. Sometimes triggered by no apparent UI action (click, mouse move, etc.) = game crashes even when you are doing absolutely nothing. [constant]
    • Few repeatable and fairly unavoidable CTDs triggered by particular action during grand campaign. [occasional]
    • Some ship stacks causing incredibly long (~20 secs) lags when clicked, moved or docked in port. Restoring save or adding ship/s to problematic stack sometimes helps and sometimes not. [occasional]
    • Unit textures get saturated with blue hue while forming a square frame of blue color centered on the unit. [rare]
    • Erratic unreliable swapping of UI focus. When moving multiple units outside a city, port or town - n.g. you select an army, then a rake, then move the rake, but what gets moved is the army. Other side of the coin and probably part of the same problem is vice versa situation - you select city, then army stack in open, but bottom screen detail panel still shows details of the city and not the army as it should. [frequent]

For those interested which hw & sw I have tried the game to work on see this post. (in short: I've tested the game on two different and proven gaming rigs after fresh install of two different OSes and still got lots of CTDs).

AI issues

• Absurdly passive both in CM and battle (namely when defending). [constant]
    • Broken sieges: botched path finding and general inability of AI to cope with fortifications results in completely clueless behavior occasionally overruled by stonewall passivity where majority of defending army masses around fort flag and gets slaughtered by single arty without any response or movement whatsoever. [constant]
    • Reserves or cooperating armies are very often summoned in player's deployment zone sometimes right among player's ranks. [occasional]
    • Cavalry unable to execute charge attack in timely fashion (in cooperation with infantry; different speeds separates forces and cavalry charges alone) or effective manner (it stops attack just before defending line or attacks in too flat angle, not in line's center and without any resemblance of formation and thus most of the momentum hits the void). [common]
    • AI garrisons available buildings and waits to be destroyed by artillery (with the unit inside) with no counter-action whatsoever. [common]
    • AI ignores player's garrisoned units and gets slaughter by them while aimlessly fooling around. [common]
    • Path finding issues / stuck individuals on fences or abandoned artillery pieces. [common]
    • Unit is unable to execute fire when not all members are standing in formation. See above point to understand why this is a problem. [common]
    • AI sometimes attempts a flanking maneuver, but it tries to execute it with whole army. [rare]
    • No naval invasions. [constant]
    • Groups are not working in naval combat. Ships stop following the leader after a while. [constant]
    • AI spams adverse region swap deals like mad. [common]
    • AI often refuses generous diplomatic offers for no apparent reason. (Trade agreements with additional goodies to very friendly faction, peace treaties to hopelessly loosing faction accompanied with massive number of goodies, etc.) [occasional]

Other (mostly balancing) game play issues

• North American natives are overpowered and their battle formations and tactics bear no similarity with reality of those times.
    • Mortars seem to be totally ineffective - they have terrible accuracy and when they occasionally hit they inflict no or little damage. (Some claim that percussion shells make all the difference, but due to technical issues I have never been able to get that far in campaign)
    • Units "magically" summoned in AI defended city. Most apparent when invading isolated island where reserves have no way to came from and town hall or barracks are certainly incapable of producing such amount of troops in 1 turn. Most likely triggered by invading army's proximity (in "no-fog-of-war" range), because it never happen when I wait with an army outside that range and then move and attack in one turn.
    • Ability of small nations to muster and keep large armies they have no economic base for. (Maybe it is an "issue" on hard or very hard difficulty setting only.)
    • Naval combat with more than 5 ships is a micromanagement nightmare (can be done only by constant use of pause-order-run) mostly because non-functional group behavior.
    • Grape shot and chain shot largely ineffective.
    • Naval boarding does not work or its rules are strange and unclear. I've stopped to board after loosing superior (both in size and quality) ships several times to inferior opponent even after some grape shot prelude.
    • Marginal differences in speed and maneuverability between small and large ships makes tactical use of smaller crafts impossible or at least very unlikely.
    • Pirate's flyutes and galleons are too strong.

Technical details:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1st rig
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU: Athlon 64 X2, OC 2.0 -> 2.7 GHz (stable)
    MoBo: Asus M2N-E, nForce 570 chipset
    Memory: 4x2 GB Corssair DDR2 800MHz
    Graphic: MSI N260GTX (896MB DDR3), driver version 6.14.0011.8250 (also tested 182.08 and 182.02 before the current 182.50)
    Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, driver version 6.00.0001.1368 (which is version 2.18.0008 of SB-Fi series driver install pack)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd rig
    CPU: Intel i7 920, OC 2.67 -> 3.7GHz (stable),
    MoBo: Gigabyte EX58-UD4, Intel X58 chipset
    Memory: 3x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600MHz PC12800 Platium Edition
    Graphic: MSI N260GTX (896MB DDR3), driver version 6.14.0011.8250 (also tested 182.08 and 182.02 before the current 182.50)
    Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, driver version 6.00.0001.1368 (which is version 2.18.0008 of SB-Fi series driver install pack)

OSes cleanly installed, Windows Update, tested for stability for 6 hours of torture tests (memory tested by Memory86+, CPU by Prime95 64bit, GPU by VantageMark).

Latest patch (2009-03-30) applied by Steam automatically.
    No mods.

CTD detail:
    Faulting application Empire.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49ccc981, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.3053, time stamp 0x4889d619, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001500a, process id 0xdc0, application start time 0x01c9c138a2752455.

Laoch's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: TWE technical and game play status

My System:

Asus P5Q Mainboard
    Q9450 CPU
    8 gig DDR2 RAM
    Gainward GTX 295
    750W Corsair Power Supply
    24' Samsung Monitor 1920x1200

Default Re: TWE technical and game play status

Yes pretty much everything you've mentioned. That's why I've quit playing for about a 2 weeks. Just had enough of all the BS. Just FYI... I think you forgot the sound bug after the 3/25 and 3/30 patch.

I do have to say though that naval combat isn't as bad as you make it sound. Keep in mind that you really should group your ships into seperate lines and use them efficiently that way. I have navies of about 12 - 14 ships and I do fine. I'll have to record a session for you and show you what I mean. The same goes with Galleons and Fluyts. They become pretty much cannon-fodder once you achieve 4th and 3rd rates.
    QX9650 - 780i SLI - two GTX280 - 8GB 6400C5DHX - X-Fi Platinum - Galaxy 1KW PSU - Antec 900 - APC 1500 BackUPS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Steeltrap's NTW Analogy
    Quote Originally Posted by johncage View Post
    It's all about money.
    This is what the industry has been reduced to. Artistry and pride in one's craft is an afterthought.
    - Bra-F'ing-vo! Great statement.