Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Larger fonts

Default Re: Larger fonts

I just bought ETW and I tried to install the font mod. Please tell me, where do I find the mod manager?

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Thanks. That was a quick response. Good show!

However, even the +1 font does make the "total income from taxes" in the government panel pop into the box on the left...

hi

i cant seem to get this mod to work. the mod manger sees the file i extracted to the steam folder. but i does not change the font size.

how do you use the mod mod manger correctly. i am trying 2 use this one

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335

is there a better one

thanks for helping

Quote Originally Posted by spankenmonkey View Post
    hi

i cant seem to get this mod to work. the mod manger sees the file i extracted to the steam folder. but i does not change the font size.

how do you use the mod mod manger correctly. i am trying 2 use this one

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335

is there a better one

thanks for helping
    in this video it shows check boxes to select the mod. i dont have check boxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi161vI6Oss

any ideas what i am doing wrong. thank

You know what, BS to every one of you. It's the stupid graphics font from CA, it's not distinct - readable unless you have exray vision. They could have choosen a different, more readable font, but the didn't. (now think "explicative - intensifier" yes the "F" work. The cure is to incorporate a more distinct font. And don't tell me that CA or anyone out there doen't know how to do it. It can be done!

The bigger font is BS, you can't read the important stuff. I deal with spreadsheets with 8 point print every f'ing day.

The only reason I bought this game was because, 1. the period, 2. it wa on sale; 3. I know that eventually the modding community will correct most of the defects and 3. CA will finally get its head out its ass!

Sorry for venting. It won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know what, BS to every one of you. It's the stupid graphics font from CA, it's not distinct - readable unless you have exray vision. They could have choosen a different, more readable font, but the didn't. (now think "explicative - intensifier" yes the "F" work. The cure is to incorporate a more distinct font. And don't tell me that CA or anyone out there doen't know how to do it. It can be done!

The bigger font is BS, you can't read the important stuff. I deal with spreadsheets with 8 point print every f'ing day.

The only reason I bought this game was because, 1. the period, 2. it wa on sale; 3. I know that eventually the modding community will correct most of the defects and 3. CA will finally get its head out its ass!

Sorry for venting. It won't happen again.
    CA uses bitmap fonts, they are scaled to whatever resolution you use, so yes, they'll always lack sharpness, but less so at higher resolutions. Using a bigger point size does counteract the bad effects of scaled bitmap fonts, because it is just more likely that the actual font color will be used on every part of the character, and not just an anti-aliased gray on the thinner parts. If you're using an lcd screen also make sure to set ETW to use the display's native resolution, it doesn't do that automatically. The wrong resolution can also cost you a lot of sharpness.

Edit: I've heard that using the large font setting in Windows will also cause blurriness of text in ETW.

Quote Originally Posted by spankenmonkey View Post
    in this video it shows check boxes to select the mod. i dont have check boxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi161vI6Oss

any ideas what i am doing wrong. thank
    Uncheck "Show all pack types" in Mod Manager, then you should see the checkboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun
    However, even the +1 font does make the "total income from taxes" in the government panel pop into the box on the left...
    True, there are some other errors as well, like Government type in the Government window when you have something like constitutional monarchy, but redesigning all the windows would be a lot of work.
    Last edited by just; April 21, 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Excellent work, this is just what I needed. Your rep's in the post.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

I was getting a 'potentially annoying/spyware download' message when I tried to d/l the Mod Manager - if anyone else is, try this link:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/e...mod/33784.html

It downloaded fine from there, with no messages.

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

It's a good mod overall, but it renders some text unreadable. CA, this is not acceptable. If there is going to be another patch, for God's sake, make the text larger, so we don't have to attempt to do it ourselves!

Oh my god this is exactly what I was looking for!

This really is great. Text is still blurry, but at least its big and blurry

Well thanks to the mod I can actually read the text in the game now. Unfortunately, it makes towns invisible from the beginning of a game and randomly at some stage after ending a turn it will make all my units invisible too.

So it's a choice between not being able to see the text, or not being able to see everything else

Anyone else experiencing this? I've no other mods installed that could cause conflicts with it...

thank you so, sooooo much!~

This mod works on NTW? Or there is a similar mod on NTW? Thanks.

@just how exactly did you change the font size? Having taken a look at the PFM file you supplied (I don't have Empire, I do have a Hexeditor) it seems you created your own CUF files. Looking at the contents of the CUF files these appear to have the exact same file format as their Medieval II: Total War counterparts, and as your mod pre-dates the CUF tool I wrote for those I'm rather interested in how you managed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    @just how exactly did you change the font size? Having taken a look at the PFM file you supplied (I don't have Empire, I do have a Hexeditor) it seems you created your own CUF files. Looking at the contents of the CUF files these appear to have the exact same file format as their Medieval II: Total War counterparts, and as your mod pre-dates the CUF tool I wrote for those I'm rather interested in how you managed to do that.
    @Tellos Athenaios
    Easy, I cheated, I renamed the bigger font files to the smaller names.

I did later also figure out most of the CUF format, I'm not sure it's exactly the same as in MTW2, in the source code of your tool I don't see kerning mentioned anywhere, while the ETW fonts do contain kerning information (2 shorts as header and then the last 122500 bytes of the fonts). Also some of the properties you described don't seem to have the same functions I discovered.

@Mikhael
    This mod should work on Napoleon without any changes, just copy it to the NTW data folder and use the NTW Mod Manager to enable it.

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    @Tellos Athenaios
    Easy, I cheated, I renamed the bigger font files to the smaller names.
    Oh well, and there I was hoping for a full blown tool I could check out to see what I'm doing right/wrong.

I did later also figure out most of the CUF format, I'm not sure it's exactly the same as in MTW2, in the source code of your tool I don't see kerning mentioned anywhere, while the ETW fonts do contain kerning information (2 shorts as header and then the last 122500 bytes of the fonts). Also some of the properties you described don't seem to have the same functions I discovered.
    Quite a few properties I am simply not sure of what they are supposed to do. There is baseline, number of glyphs and amount of glyph data that I am really sure of; and there are a couple which I need to research further but seem to specify offsets within a bounding box. Other than that: I have no idea. Kerning: no not doing anything of the sort.

Would you mind sharing what you have found out so far? (Offsets and what they mean/refer to?) That way I/we could improve on the CUF tool, and possibly making it suitable for use with ETW as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Oh well, and there I was hoping for a full blown tool I could check out to see what I'm doing right/wrong.

Quite a few properties I am simply not sure of what they are supposed to do. There is baseline, number of glyphs and amount of glyph data that I am really sure of; and there are a couple which I need to research further but seem to specify offsets within a bounding box. Other than that: I have no idea. Kerning: no not doing anything of the sort.

Would you mind sharing what you have found out so far? (Offsets and what they mean/refer to?) That way I/we could improve on the CUF tool, and possibly making it suitable for use with ETW as well.
    Baseline is different, I have it spread over 2, you seem to have only one (but I still don't know how the baseline is calculated). Also the 12th and 13th properties are one int, not two shorts and I have some properties you don't seem to have.
    • 4 bytes magic 'CUF0'
    • short 0: unknown
    • short 1: unknown, seems to always match the height of a capital, but is not used for rendering
    • short 2: line height, seems to be two pixels lower than the actual line height.
    • short 3: unknown
    • short 4: unknown
    • short 5: seems to have something to do with baseline, but there is a maximum and a minimum, in one font I tested changing default 7 to 0xF resulting in the text moving down two pixels, while 7 to 1 results in moving up by five pixels.
    • short 6: also seems related to baseline, changing this matches the changed baseline exactly.
    • short 7: how wide a space is for justification and text wrapping calculations, the width for rendering a space is as it is specified in the glyph properties and/or kerning.
    • short 8: how much less wide a line (or maybe the dynamically sized container with the line) is than the sum of the glyph sizes. If you use a value that is larger than the width of the first word and following space then there is an extra line wrap after the first word and space. In this specific case the space is rendered for justification reasons, normally the space that turns into a line wrap is not rendered/calculated.
    • short 9: the largest width of any glyph in the font. Anything to the right of this amount of pixels is not rendered.
    • short 10: the largest height of any glyph in the font. Anything below this amount of pixels (calculated from the top of that glyph) is not rendered.
    • short 11: the number of glyphs
    • int 12: total size of the glyph bitmaps
    • 10000 ints: these match 16 UCS2/UTF16? codes to glyph id numbers.
    • for each glyph
      • byte 0: starting height of the glyph in pixels above the baseline, 0x80 indicates the glyph doesn't have a height.
      • byte 1: unknown, possibly width of the glyph when no kerning data is available
      • byte 2: width of the bitmap data of the glyph
      • byte 3: height of the bitmap data of the glyph
    • for each glyph
      • int: offset that indicates where in the bitmap data the data for that glyph is, relative to the start of the bitmap data.
    • bitmap data
    • short: number of glyphs for which kerning data is available
    • short: the amount of glyphs to skip, the first nn glyphs don't have kerning data, some of the last might not either if the number of glyphs with kerning and the skipped glyphs are less than the total amount of glyphs
    • for each glyph with kerning
      • for each glyph with kerning
        • byte: width of the glyph in the outer loop when followed by the glyph in the inner loop, the width is calculated form the left of the glyph.
    Last edited by just; August 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast