Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Splendour v1.068 General Feedback

Default Imperial Splendour v1.068 General Feedback

Post general comments or questions about the new version here.

Default Re: Imperial Splendour v1.068 General Feedback

Grenzers are still not recruitable in-game. I always fix it myself, but I must wonder why a 5 sec fix hasn't been done.

Have you considered lowering the campaign movement rate of first rates, or lowering the bonus from coppering + top gallants + sextant, etc? I think the a lot of people would be willing to give up some of the really extreme campaign movement speed if it allows them to stop having to cart a sloop around with their fleet to avoid crashes.

The 5 piece limit on colonial artillery is rather harsh. I don't mind being limited to colonial artillery instead of the big guns, but 5 goes by fast. I found that the Americas were already limited in terms of the higher end units by only having a couple large cities. to produce from, in which you may only own one. It's a far cry from the large cities ever 20 feet in Europe.

WilliamRedrup's Avatar Laetus

The link to the (non-alternative) startpos file is giving me an error when I try to access it. The mod file itself however was fine to download.

After playing an IS campaign for a while as Prussia, I finally got a navy together to deal with the Troublesome Swedes.

My first impression is that the AI seems to be distinctly worse at naval battles than the vanilla AI. I was able to destroy a slightly larger Swedish fleet with very few casualties (and no ship losses). When I fight a naval battle in vanilla things are usually much more even (Nelson I ain't).

How the battle developed...

The Swedish fleet broke from their line ahead formation and all ships (kind of) turned towards my (Prussian) line ahead fleet, but rather than closing, stopped dead in the water.

They might have done better if they either closed with my fleet quickly, *or* turned broadside to fire, but they just sat there, with their bows facing my broadsides.

My (Prussian) fleet sailed passed the Swedes at a medium range, letting loose broadsides. After the Prussian line turned after they passed the Swedish line, things got a little more interesting and the Swedish fleet began to return fire and generally fight. However, the damage they suffered during their initial confusion placed them at a fatal disadvantage and their fleet was quickly destroyed with very little damage to the Prussians.
    Perhaps it was a one off thing, but there seemed to be some sort of fatal indecisiveness or Half-executed maneuver. I will see if this is a trend with AI naval battles, but so far, a sorry day for AI.
    Last edited by Dunderklumpen; April 21, 2009 at 06:42 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Only allowing grenadiers from Europe is an interesting idea. At least 4 units of grenadiers per army was the only way I could handle the Ghoorka spam in India. Sepoys and Company infantry had no chance at handling a charge from those guys.

A related question, why are the company infantry worse than Sepoys yet more expensive (at least in upkeep) than true Line infantry? I include 2 company infantry per army just for flavor, along with 6 sepoys (replacing some with grenadiers if facing melee heavy armies), but they now seem like a liability instead of the disciplined backbone of the Indian army they were in Vanilla, especially since Sepoys get an experience point anyway.

Also, are you aware that the Italian States don't get any light infantry until Riflemen?
    Last edited by the_mango55; April 21, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I just starteg playing as Ottoman and noticed that the Bashi-Bazouks early melee units have 20 ammo.

The Swedish fleet broke from their line ahead formation and all ships (kind of) turned towards my (Prussian) line ahead fleet, but rather than closing, stopped dead in the water.The Swedish fleet broke from their line ahead formation and all ships (kind of) turned towards my (Prussian) line ahead fleet, but rather than closing, stopped dead in the water.
    It seems to me like everything stemmed from their trying to sail into the wind, which has a larger negative effect on speed in this mod I believe. But the navy AI behavior is the same as in the vanilla game. To give the enemy AI a little easier time, choose a starting position that gives them the initial wind advantage.
    You drunken spinning mule, you!

Quote Originally Posted by mkk View Post
    I just starteg playing as Ottoman and noticed that the Bashi-Bazouks early melee units have 20 ammo.

It seems to me like everything stemmed from their trying to sail into the wind, which has a larger negative effect on speed in this mod I believe. But the navy AI behavior is the same as in the vanilla game. To give the enemy AI a little easier time, choose a starting position that gives them the initial wind advantage.
    I've been working on something, and doing some testing. The conclusion I've come to is that while it's safe to lower over all ship movement rates (the AI handles that fine), severely decreasing turn speed, or increasing wind fx is something that AI can't handle well. Watching the AI try to escape up wind at a very slow walking pace is a good example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambino View Post
    Grenzers are still not recruitable in-game. I always fix it myself, but I must wonder why a 5 sec fix hasn't been done.

Have you considered lowering the campaign movement rate of first rates, or lowering the bonus from coppering + top gallants + sextant, etc? I think the a lot of people would be willing to give up some of the really extreme campaign movement speed if it allows them to stop having to cart a sloop around with their fleet to avoid crashes.

The 5 piece limit on colonial artillery is rather harsh. I don't mind being limited to colonial artillery instead of the big guns, but 5 goes by fast. I found that the Americas were already limited in terms of the higher end units by only having a couple large cities. to produce from, in which you may only own one. It's a far cry from the large cities ever 20 feet in Europe.
    Grenzers aren't recruitable with IS? I haven't checked if they are recruitable in IS yet but before I used IS, they were only recruitable in Vienna with a building requirement.
    Last edited by TerminatorXPS15; April 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed wording.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

I am the King of England (GB wasn't untill 1707 ) and the year is 1704. The Iroquois conquered New York, but somehow the people there must have been displeased with their new rulers, so they revolted and founded the United States of America... they even declared war on me a few turns later.

Despite the fact that the American Revolution is now starting in 1704, I kinda like this. Never seen sth like this before, has it in some way something to do with IS?

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

IS increases the aggressiveness of the AI, so yes, it does have something to do with IS.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by General A. Skywalker View Post
    I am the King of England (GB wasn't untill 1707 ) and the year is 1704. The Iroquois conquered New York, but somehow the people there must have been displeased with their new rulers, so they revolted and founded the United States of America... they even declared war on me a few turns later.

Despite the fact that the American Revolution is now starting in 1704, I kinda like this. Never seen sth like this before, has it in some way something to do with IS?
    Saw that in DarthMod too.

All kinds of interesting things happen when the Campaign AI is more aggressive.

Feedback?

How bout Frackin awesome!

Seriously, my hopes were high for ETW, yet there were somethings that really bothered me,
    -The importance of melee in this time period was not represented (in vanilla I just stood up line infantry and shot the hell out of my opponents)
    -Artillery was near useless (50%+ of the kills in actual time)
    -CAMPAIGN AI WAS TRASH

This mod has made my purchase of ETW worthwhile, I thank you very much!

(Now if only you could get the Naval invasions working...)

More of praise and demands then feedback I know, this is my first go at SI, if I notice anything I will post it.

oh,

And can you play this mod online?
    "There was a time when I searched for steel, when steel meant more to me then gold or jewels"
    -Thulsa Doom

sigh why not add grenzers in it takes 5 seconds but saves us doing it everytime we download
    "...and all the men and women merely players."

- Range for Cannister Shot, Light Infantry Muskets, and Rifles has been increased to 165, 150, and 215 respectively

I have been using DarthMod and I thought I'ld give yours a try but In the few battle I just tried the ranges of all light infantry and all riflemen except Ferguson Riflemen were less than this, 180 for riflemen and 115 for light infantry I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfundner View Post
    sigh why not add grenzers in it takes 5 seconds but saves us doing it everytime we download
    Agreed...please!

I've been playing some campaign as Bavaria and I got destroyed around 1710(4turns/year) due to basically 6 factions around me declaring war on me within 3turns. It was nuts.

Now i've started a new one as Prussia and i've got 5 alliances including Poland-lithuania, which helps.
    One thing I noticed though was that the AI wouldn't really place it's troops effectively on the Campaign map. I come from Darthmod and there the AI will pick good areas to defend(yes, outside of town) and defend it's ports well. Perhaps that's something that you can look at(prior to a patch where naval invasions will be added).

EDIT: Removed. I wasn't running the mod apparently.
    Last edited by Frederf; April 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I really enjoy this mod Quixote and thanks a million, one nagging thing is that since Installed your mod(had it on previous versions too) the end turn time seems to rapidly increase after about 1710-20 but only for certain factions. In my current campaign it's France, in previous it's been Sweden and Maratha. Does anyone else suffer from this?
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I just started playing IS yesterday after playing darthmod since it's release. So far IS seems better balanced and more difficult. The increased cost of everything really makes a big difference. My only suggestion so far is to increase the stats of irregular units. I think they are too close to regular line stats to make them worth while to recruit. Because of their lower numbers and lack of defense and melee ability they should have increased range and accuracy. Their range is too close to that of regular line infantry making it very hard for them to skirmish effectively.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Django, I've found that if you use the "Light Infantry Drill" (which is available as soon as you research your first tech, whatever that tech may be) your troops will be far harder to hit, and far better in a prolonged range battle. This ability has been given to almost all irregulars. (If not all...)
    I've had guerrilla's (as Portugal) with line-like stats, getting over a hundred kills and losing 20-30 men. One battle I used a guerrilla battalion vs one Ai guerrilla and one line (that was all I had, and all they had), using light infantry drill I lost 40 men and killed both of their full battallions (those that didn't rout). This is on "Ultra" unit sizes and medium battle difficulty.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast