Thread: Flanking/Rear Attacks morale penalties too intense

Default Flanking/Rear Attacks morale penalties too intense

When advancing to an enemy line, lines of grenadiers and healthy troops will take massive morale penalties and often rout if there is any gap and enemy nearby to their flank.

This is totally unrealistic in the sense of the computer battle mechanics since there is no logical way for the enemy to flank them in the computer battle. There is no risk at all in fact.

This makes my battles extremely brittle and makes the AI extremely vulnerable since it does not massage its lines at all.

Default Re: Flanking/Rear Attacks morale penalties too intense

I have to agree, the penalties are a bit severe at the moment. I'm going to have to modify the numbers back to the old ones for my current campaign.

On the other hand, the bonus for being in fortifications is way too high. In a siege I fought earlier, their general was dead and the computer still had 5-6 units that went from 400 down to 0 without ever going past "wavering". Meanwhile, my grenadiers and line infantry with 3-5 experience each continued to rout if I attempted to march them anywhere near having the enemy on their flank, and I finally just had to stop everything and put them all in square formation because that was the only way to get around the newly absurd flanking penalty, even though their flank was only engaged with one or two enemies as they marched past.

I agree as well, in fact I changed the morale values quite alot (average 5 points harder to rout as well as nerfs to flanks and rear)

I also agree with this, units rout way too fast. It needs to be turned down.