Thread: Bards do your thing. - Tale of The Week 37

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Bards do your thing. - Tale of The Week 37

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience"

- Gaius Julius Caesar -

A wonderful picture out of his own personal stock, we thank you Yealthecruel for sharing it with us.

You know the drill.

RULES :

1. Post a short text about this picture, with min. 200 max. 500 words, in a spoiler.
    2. If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.

3. The winner gets 1 point on the Leaderboard, if there are at least 4 contestants.

4. Deadline: last day of each week (Sunday).
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Nazgűl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Default Re: Bards do your thing. - Tale of The Week 37

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Every End is a New Begining...

How many of you have ever thought, what if I would've... How many of you ever thought, what if I wouldn't have...? How many of you have ever wanted a chance to go back in time and change past events?
    I do.
    So I wouldn't have to look at the faces of their wives, so I wouldn't have to see the blood boiling in the veins of their sons... So I wouldn't have to see another bloodline imbued with the power of vengeance...

We rode quickly, the third proud legion, we rode and ran quickly as the word of the German rebellion rose, we hastened to the river Rein, to the battle. The second legion was already at the midst of combat, and from the looks of it... It was a grim day for the Roman Empire...
    We rode faster and faster, I raised the banner for the charge signal, and at one moment, the entire organized running formation broke off into squads of insane Roman soldiers, fast and furious, running and sprinting, shields and armor, greaves and helms... Did not interrupt them, they felt no ordinary heat, they felt the heat of battle, I believe that some of them even ran faster than my horse...
    Finally, we passed the valley and on the hill in front of us, the battle ensued, the second battalion held firm, but they were mightily relieved at the sight of our forces.
    I raised the banner and waved it twice, half the soldiers withdrew and sheathed their swords, pulled out their bows and let loose... Hell rained upon the enemy and the screams were terrible, after another wave, they ran into the fray, swords flailing... This was one hell of a tough battle...
    Seeing my best friend die before my eyes...
    Seeing my second in command decapitated...
    I was enraged. I faced off with their general head-on, and not only did I kill him, I cut off his head and threw it at another soldier, the tip of his helm struck the soldier in his eye and he fell down, dead... I was feared.
    I ran into the fray again, and struck people, left and right, until I finally felt a strong pain, I was stabbed by a sword... But that didn't stop me, looking at the soldier, I said;
    "You should not... Have done that..."
    I cut his hand off, proceeding to cutting his stomach horizontally, and seeing he didn't die yet, I also slashes his face, he didn't die though, I left him there...
    I ran back into the fray and I heard someone call me the god of war... I was no god... I was the spirit of vengeance.

I walked in the streets of Bologna, many military men walking past me... Some wounded... And I have yet to treat my wound, I just wanted to go and tell my friends' wife about what has transpired, my friend's wife reacted as I figured she would, wept and held her daughters close, fearing I might take them away as well, but she said it was not my fault;
    Liar...
    Again walking in the streets of Bologna, I found myself at my second in command's home... I opened the door and told the news, I wish I never had opened that door, only to see his weeping wife, but she asked me something, something that made me think, that not all is black and white;
    "How did he die?"
    "Bravely. Fighting off two German brutes"
    Of course I lied, but he did die bravely.
    She looked at her son, who was enraged with hate, she looked back at me, as if blaming me, and glanced at an armor, obviously fitting for her son, being taught from an early age at the art of war;
    "Every end is a new beginning..."
    Last edited by Nazgűl Killer; April 20, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Posting mah storeh.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Looks epic, count me in.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

Based on a true story. . .

Roman Might

The sun beats down hot on the Judean plain, filtering through the haze of dust kicked up by the hooves of our cavalry mounts.
    Quintvs Valerivs is my name. I come from one of the first patrician families to settle Galla Cisalpina after the conquests of Caesar. Ten long years have passed since I was sent to Palestine as part of the personal bodyguard of Procurator Pontivs Pilate. Ten years of dealing with a people driven mad by their belief that this land was given to them by a god. A one true God.
    I stare down at the dry, worthless grass crushed beneath the hooves of my horse and grin with the irony. By Jupiter, what type of god would have given this land?
    Yet they fight for it as though it were the very vineyards of Galla, the lush, fertile plains of my homeland.
    A mountain looms above our column as we crest the rise. Mount Gerizim, or so the Jews call it. Ye gods, perhaps this land could be worth something. But the people. . .
    They are the reason we are here this day. The people of Samaria are following a new madman, who promises them victory against our arms. Something of relics buried upon the summit of Gerizim, the details I know not.
    It is sufficient that Pilate wants this rebellion suppressed. My breath catches in my throat as we draw up on the ridge, looking down into the valley between Gerizim and Ebal. Mountains of blessing and cursing, in Jewish legend.
    They are already here, by the thousands. Men, women, and children, families all come to see their 'Promised Land' restored to them.
    Slowing our horses to a walk, we descend into the valley, sunlight reflecting off our polished armour and weapons. Perhaps a show of force will be enough to convince them to disperse.
    Ten years in this land should have crushed my optimism by now. A show is never enough. Our line halts, the signifer riding forward, Pilate's proclamation in his hands, the words of the procurator spilling from his lips.
    The mob does not accord him the privilege of finishing—murderous yells and shouts erupting from a thousand throats at the first mention of Pilate's name.
    A rock flies past the helmet of the signifer and out of the corner of my eye I see our centurion's sword leap from its scabbard, bellowing a single order. “Charge!”
    Our line surges forward, the land disappearing underneath the pounding hooves of my steed. My spear couched, I see women and children scatter as we bear down on their line, their cries of terror floating heavenward. Here and there the sun glints off the sword of a rebel. The Jews were prepared to fight.
    Fight, perhaps, but their line evaporates under our impetus, men thrown to the ground and trodden underfoot, women disemboweled by the blow of a spear, children crushed by the hooves of a rearing horse. Love, hope, vision disintegrating under the iron fist of Roman might. . .
    Son of PW

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

Honour

The marble gleamed white in the moonlight as the messenger ran up the steps of Caecilius Sextus’ Palatine Villa. The powerful Patrician, one of the most respected senators in Rome. And now, in this late hour of the night, the messenger’s tired, worn sandals beat out a tattoo of urgency on the hard, polished floor.

Caecilius was pacing his narrow chamber, sweating in anticipation when the man was ordered in. He strode over to him and took the scroll without a word. He sat on the hard bed and read quickly. The servant could feel the tension as his master’s eyes scanned the papyrus. Caecilius looked up, slowly letting the letter fall, then drop to the floor without a sound. His eyes were glazed and full of tears. He barely managed to give a horse croak from his now sore throat…

“How did it all go wrong…?”

Caecilius Gallus stabbed the attacking man of Pontus, and his lungs punctured, throwing forth a pink, frothy fluid that shadowed the man’s dying screams in a rush of gurgling. Gallus wheeled his body over, hitting an infantryman with the edge of his hexagonal Praetorian’s shield. The man’s helmet split, but he was not killed. Gallus urged the horse’s body round, closely avoiding a swipe of the man’s spear. The clumsy fool did not even have time to realise his mistake before Gallus’ sword put him to rest.

“CAECILIUS!” … Caecilius turned, effortlessly making his horse obey him as he turned to hear his friend. But the companion hesitated in attacking an Eastern foe, and the man took his chance, slashing at the Samnite horse with his scimitar. The horse fell and a gruesome crunch of bones showed that the man was clearly lost to this world.

The enemy was decapitated before he could even pull his sword back to try and attack Gallus, but he now saw that the formation was riding out to attack another set of infantry. Caecilius Gallus looked around him. To the east, the enemy chariots were slicing the Roman infantry’ discipline to pieces with their scythes as the Pikemen, those cursed Eastern descendants of Alexanderos, kept the Legionnaires at arm’s - or should that be sarissa’s - length. The battle was hopelessly lost, but as true Romans they all fought to the last, never thinking of giving up.

Gallus felt exposed, and he rode to the formation. His commander’s white crest flashed in the sun before him, and he lowered his spear as the enemy hid behind the carcasses of crashed chariots. The scum threw spears, hiding behind the steel-tipped wall as the last Praetorian cavalry left made a last charge.

Gallus roared, jumping from his horse to slide his sharp dagger through the weak throat of an enemy. The man lay dead as Gallus knelt, truly exhausted. He cried as the sun set, a sun that could be seen on Rome … “Forgive me, father, for I have failed you!” He sobbed…

Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Kátz's Avatar Senator

My return, blast off! This is rather an alternate history of the Battle of Munda told by myself. But still, it plagiarises the reality a lot. Please tell me if it was too much so I can shorten it a bit.

Grief, Sorrow, Pain, Suffering and Death

It is the day March 17, 45BC as Gaius Julius Caesar along with his subordinates Gaius Octavius and Marcus Agrippa march towards the plains of Munda, modern southern Spain against the forces of the Optimates, commanded by Titus Labienus, Publius Attius Varius and Pompey's oldest son, Gnaeus Pompeius. It was the battle that decides the fate of history.

The two armies met in the plains of Munda in southern Spain. The Pompeian army was situated on a gentle hill, less than one mile (1.6 km) from the walls of Munda, in a defensible position. Caesar led a total of eight legions (80 cohorts), with 8,000 horsemen, while Pompeius commanded thirteen legions, 6,000 light-infantrymen and about 6,000 horsemen.

As the Republican soldiers who deserted Pompey to join Caesar rejoined Pompey back again. They had known that they would have to fight to the last blood, fearing they would not be pardoned for the second time.

Soon after, Caesar shouted "LURE THE POMPEIANS DOWN THE HILL!!!!"

But the Pompeians did not budge, they are smarter as they are commanded by Titus Labienus, who is formerly one of Caesar's Lieutenants. As one of Caesar's trusted servants before. He had known the tactics commonly used by him. Furthermore, he attempted to counter-lure the Caesarian army to a frontal attack.

And so Caesar ordered a frontal attack with the watchword "Venus", the goddess said to be his ancestor.

The battle resulted in an even match, both of the forces struggled to gain an advantage. And so forth the generals summoned themselves to join the ranks of their respective armies. For one of the first times Caesar said to himself "This is not a battle where I fight for a victory. This is a battle where I fight for my life." numerous times whilst approaching the right wing.

With his favourite legion, called the X Equestris who were inspired by Caesar's bravery to approach the battlefield. Begin to push back their oppositions. Gnaeus Pompeius, sensing danger in the left wing, commanded the legion in his right wing to reinforce the weakened part.

Titus Labienus sensed his folly, and moves to intercept the cavalry. What happened then is a tragic scene. Gaius Octavius, who led the charge. Does not think Titus would move to intercept him, bringing an army of phalangites. His horse was felled down and his bodies are thrusted by the sea of spears.

Marcus Agrippa and Julius Caesar heard this message from their messengers

Sir, the left wing are disheartened by the death of one of our Cavalry Commanders, Gaius Octavius. Requesting reinforcements immediately.
    Furious, Marcus, along with Mauritanian king, Bogud. Leads their forces against Titus Labienus head on. While Caesar did not wish for his death. Alas, fury and rage have taken their heart. And a bloodbath occured in the center and left line.

Seeing the death of Titus Labienus. The rest of the Pompeian commanders sounded retreat. The Populares have won the battle! But at a high cost. . .

The casualties were heavy, while the Pompeians suffered the loss of more than 30.000 men. The Caesarians sees the depart of 10.000 men, along with their prized cavalry commander, Gaius Octavius.

Caesar speaks to himself "Let the dead rest in peace, the grief, the sorrow, the pain, the suffering and the death are obstacles that must be overcomed to achieve my dreams."

And so he leaves the bloody battlefield, littered with corpses everywhere. . . Wishing the dead rest in peace.