Thread: Troop experience question

notger's Avatar Decanus

Default Troop experience question

I was just wondering ...
    Some people said, that with IS, troops gained experience very fast, yet, in my campaign, I seem not to be able to get them above two chevrons. Admitted, I like to retrain them.

How do you proceed?
    Do you always merge them or do you reach high experience with retraining?

(I would have asked this in another thread, but first, this thread has become my home and second, I never had any exp-issues with DarthMod.)

Cheers
    N.

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Troop experience question

I retrain mine and still shoot up the experience ranks.

I merge my units and then retrain the leftovers. Unless there is to few to complete a full unit then I retrain those.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

I sink (in german) about the exerience and how it work. It's seems that empire count the kills of a formation. I must make more tests with. It's easy to change, but hard to test, cause there is no option to see how many they killed.
    How it exactly work if you merage units I don't know, but it could be that they take the middle way so if one killed 50 and the other 100 so empire count 75. Surely not the 100.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

You merge the units by just dragging and dropping. So let's say unit A has 100 men and Unit B has 120 men (and they both max out at 150). So you just drag A onto B. Unit A will now have 70 men and Unit B will now have 150.

Be careful not to do this in a city/town though... This causes crashes. You need to merge them out in the field.

If possible I'd like to have the reinforcing experience penalty just a wee bit lesser. Not realistic I know but more fun to have some highly experienced units stay around in a campaign even when they've been used for heavy fighting.
    You drunken spinning mule, you!

I never had a unit above lvl 5, it looks impossible to get them to lvl 9, but they allready kick ass at lvl 5.

I've had high experience units before. Especially light cavalry which I use to cut down routing enemy units get ridiculous amounts of experience.
    "Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln.
    (War is merely the continuation of politics by other means.)

My card is very bad (6800GT), so I have 80 men in a formation. I need 70 kills to get the 1 rank.
    You see I need to kill ca. one formation. If you have better card with more units it's easier. With 200 men you can kill 70 enemies in one battle easy.

The best way is to mod it for your own. I did it and now my troops can get more the 2 ranks.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam

notger's Avatar Decanus

That is interesting ... the exp-levels are not tied to unit size?
    That would explain why I had good units on ultra unit size and can't go above two ranks on normal unit settings ...

Joedreck, which entry in which db would I have to change to correct that?

look for something with "experience". You find there something like
    xp1: kills 70, casualties 3000
    xp2: kills 300, casualties 7000
    xp3: kills 800, casualties 12000
    xp4: kills 1600
    xp5: kills 2500
    xp6: kills 4000

play with this numbers. the causalities, this are the 3000 number. I mean your troops get a ramk, if the enemy lost 3000+ men, but not tested it. I do today.
    Last edited by joedreck; April 23, 2009 at 03:46 AM.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Thanks for your help.

Btw: Nice avatar, but wrong club. VfB Stuttgart ftw.

Grimlin's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Thanks for your help.

Btw: Nice avatar, but wrong club. VfB Stuttgart ftw.
    There is only one club... 1. FCN, literally

From time to time I recognize my troops earning experience after a battle, like for example they gained 2 chevrons in the battle and afterwards they miraculously have 3 chevrons. Maybe the result, like enemy losses in general, contribute to experience aswell, like you've said joedreck. But on the other hand I'm 100% sure that my army didn't kill 3000.
    Last edited by Grimlin; April 23, 2009 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlin View Post
    But on the other hand I'm 100% sure that my army didn't kill 3000.
    Not in one battle. Maybe in all. I will test it today. Or if someone is at home can do it now.

Make all x1 - x6 with 5000. Now you can't get any rank, cause no unit can kill 5000 in one battle.

Change the casualties 3000 to casualties 500 and casualties 7000 to casualties 1000. Play a single player battle and if the AI lost 500+ men look if your troops get experience.

Post it here.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Good test setup, but why do you assume that "casualties" refers to enemy casualties? "Kills" does not refer to enemy kills, so why should "casualties"?

I assume, that this stands for suffered casualties, be it the total number in one battle or be it during the life-time of the unit (the latter being far more likely, given the numbers proportion).

Off-topic: I can't forgive anyone who fires Hans Meyer.
    Another off-topic: Do all german forum members use imperial eagles for their avatars?

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Good test setup, but why do you assume that "casualties" refers to enemy casualties? "Kills" does not refer to enemy kills, so why should "casualties"?
    Cause you get the rank. If your 70 men will kill, you don't get a rank and if your causalties are 3000, so you don't get a rank, but if you kill 70 or 3000 you get a rank.

It's only a guess, thats why I want to test it or should be happy if you do.

p.s. Yes, the eagle. Everywhere it is beutiful, but at home it is most beautiful.
    Last edited by joedreck; April 23, 2009 at 06:08 AM.

notger's Avatar Decanus

I am going on a business trip this afternoon and will not be able to test before wednesday. Sorry.