Thread: Tips on capturing India?

Default Tips on capturing India?

Man im having a hard time establishing myself in India. Playing Brit h/h. First i bribe United Provience (sp?) for giving me the Island to the SE of India. Basically using it as a staging ground for an Invasion. Well i build 2 full stack armies and capture the first city on the east coast. Keeping both armies relatively close together to support each other.
    Now after some battles, im trying to reinforce my depleted units, but keep getting attacked by outlying factions. So now im forced to build a 3rd army from British Islands and send it to India. I knew it will be hard, but good lord, im just hanging on to 1 city.
    seems India factions can just crap out full stacks with no problem.

Default Re: Tips on capturing India?

play as the maratha.

<_<
    >_>

It helps if you get in on the action early. My strategy was to take Calcutta. Since the Mughals are at war with Maratha, you can hopefully snatch up lots of land quickly. Calcutta is a good sized city, hard to control, but easily defended. The closest full slot city is Hindustan, which is 2-3 turns of travel away. The closest city has only one slot, not much potential for stack-crapping.

Strike for the full size cities in northern India. The Mughals have terrible troops, so it's a perfect opportunity. Fighting the Marathas after they have taken most or all of the continent is NOT fun. Giving yourself several cities capable of creating up to 5 units a turn can give you the production capacity you need. Make sure you have a trade port and upgrade those plantations too.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

good advice. not fun fighting 600 man units

Wish Mysore rebels.

Then kill them. you got a good base there.

All campaigns are different, so anybody in India will have a fist fight. The one I'm playing now with Prussians H/H has the Marathas reduced to one territory after Mughals and Mysore invaded them > >

As Portugal I managed to take Mysore/Carnatica in the south. Towards the north I have Gujarat and Sindh.
    And I'm trying to get a 6th region from the Mughals in the north if I can before they get wiped out.

Tiro

I have successfully captured all of India recently as the Dutch starting on the island of Ceylon as you are. Remember the maxim 'Divide and conquer!" The key for me was to make an alliance with the Mughals in the North against the Hindu Marathas, just until the Marathas were wiped out. Then one can turn on one's former allies. Muhahaha. Be sure to capture provinces that are rich and give you the capacity to recruit decent armies on the mainland too.
    Last edited by Bendit; April 20, 2009 at 03:29 AM.

I took India relatively simple by exploiting the Maratha-Mughal-Mysore-War as Prussia. I already had seized Amsterdam and quite some provinces in Europe, combined with trade with many lucrative partners, providing a very strong financial backbone. Obviously I conquered the rebel Ceylon afterwards., where I also prepared two stacks of high quality troops to launch the initial attack on India.
    Then, I just waited...forged an alliance with Mysore, gained military access with them and deployed my armies at their borders to the war area in Midindia.
    The war in India waged forth and back (thanks to Darthmod there was quite a lot of activity!) and during the 1720s both parties had problems garrisoning their newly acquired territories and several cities in Mid-India revolted to rebel factions, some of Marathas', some of Mughals'.
    Just now I striked and quickly seized two poorly defended rebel cities, establishing order by pure military might. And I still had trade with both Maratha and Mughal, gaining me a LOT of profit.

But I agree, usually the first steps in India are always very difficult. Also controlling all these provinces is difficult due to the high population if you are not a republic.

Well so far I have mostly targeted my self at wars in Europe..since France declared War twice at me already...am about to crush Paris in India I managed to stage 2 full stacks to conquer Mysore with a lucky help by my former Portugal Allies (they gave me Military access in Goa - which was later conquered by maratha....but by then I was already the happy governer of MYSORE (nice city...hell of trouble getting it to Protestantism)....ever since I have 2 Missionaries in the neighboring regions converting the populace to Protestantism...as a preparation for Conqeuring by my Veteran army from Mysore ....but for the time being I have to wait in India since there is war with the Hurons on the Horizon in America.....I guess they did not like me taking over Upper and Lower Louisiana and taking out the Pueblo and Inuit...also having Very Friendly status with Iroquis and Cherokee.....will see how I do against the NATIVE MELEE STAcks....

To the above poster......converting the population usually does the trick for me....my American Colonial islands are guarded by 2 Dragoon units with very happy morale.....just by converting them to Protestantism

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyBoomerang View Post
    All campaigns are different, so anybody in India will have a fist fight. The one I'm playing now with Prussians H/H has the Marathas reduced to one territory after Mughals and Mysore invaded them > >
    That's a good time to start thinking like you are fighting the cold war. Ally with the Maratha's, then supply them with economic and military technology. Give them cash. They might occupy the Mughals enough to give you a foothold in India. Then cut them off when they seem to be gaining power or have outlived their usefulness.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

i usually take Calcutta and work my way around the shoreline.....hahaha