Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roman legionaires and auxillias

Default roman legionaires and auxillias

hey guys,

I've been playing extended realism mod and just want to say, what a great mod!

it is 247 BC and just got the marian reforms, which means early republican legionaires.

I was wondering if there will be late republican legionaires and the cohort auxillia and archer auxillias?

thx!

Default Re: roman legionaires and auxillias

No, there wont be any of these units, you can recruit AOR units, just like Gauls auxilia, Lybian Spearmen, or Levy Hoplites, depending on the city, but the true roman units will be Early Legionary Cohorts, and Early Legionary First Cohorts, besides the cavalry, and the scorpions.
    BTW, I get the Marian Reform in the 198 B.C.!!!! what a luky you get it at 247 xD.
    The only archer I can recruit were the Mercenary ones, but in Creta you can get AOR Cretan Archers.
    Last edited by Katto; April 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

oooh dang =\

anyways, I'm playing M/M after trying H/M and what a difference. No longer are the AI able to field multiple stacks against me while I can barely field 2 legions.

too bad I don't intend to invade greece anytime soon =\ so no cretan archers, but lately, I found that scorpions are like rapid machine guns XD

Also, Selucid Empire too powerful? they conquered like most of the east and Egypt and India

Primicerius

TSE and the Ptoly's seem to do differently in every person's game, my TSE gets dominated by the Ptolemiacs. Every time.

And scorpions are so much better on ExRM than other mods, I managed to win an insane battle against Gaul because of them, with a 3/4 fielding 2 scorpions units on a slight hill defeating 2 fullstacks of gauls. Each scorpion unit got over 200 kills. Not bad.

The name "Early Republican" kind of gives the impression that there's going to be a late Republican legion, as the game encompasses the Republican era. Maybe the "early" should be dropped.

Scutarii, what factions have you played where the Seleucids get knocked out?

Switch's Avatar Miles

I was positive that there were Late Republican (Augustan) legionairies in ExRM.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I was positive that there were Late Republican (Augustan) legionairies in ExRM.
    There used to be a range of late republican units, but since historically they only appeared after Octavian's reforms (as stated in their description), and few games ever reach 30 BC, they were removed to make room in the descr_models_battle.txt file for units for other factions. DMB's limit of 64 slots is severely limiting, so it's a matter of making best use of that space.

If the DMB works as I think it works, one can actually free some space by having a few slots earmarked as faction-specific units, then having the faction places in these DMB slots refer to units of different types. There's a limit of 1 unit per faction in each of these DMB slots, as I think the faction can only look in that slot, find the unit that's assigned to the faction, without being able to look through a list. Also, such a trick, while maximising use of space, would be a nightmare to maintain.

Switch's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    There used to be a range of late republican units, but since historically they only appeared after Octavian's reforms (as stated in their description), and few games ever reach 30 BC, they were removed to make room in the descr_models_battle.txt file for units for other factions. DMB's limit of 64 slots is severely limiting, so it's a matter of making best use of that space.
    I know the lorica segmentata legionairies and Praetorian and Urban Cohorts were removed from RTR, but I was under the impression that there were two army reforms for the Romans in ExRM. Though it's possible I'm confusing it with another mod..

Eat Meat Whale Meat

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I know the lorica segmentata legionairies and Praetorian and Urban Cohorts were removed from RTR, but I was under the impression that there were two army reforms for the Romans in ExRM. Though it's possible I'm confusing it with another mod..
    The later units were taken out in the latest ExRM version. They were present in earlier versions.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaeyn View Post

Scutarii, what factions have you played where the Seleucids get knocked out?
    Epirus, Germania, Rome, Carthage, Macedonia... Never seen TSE beat the Ptolemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Epirus, Germania, Rome, Carthage, Macedonia... Never seen TSE beat the Ptolemies.
    Lol,in all your post yousaid that xD. I hope that one day you can see the PTE defeated by TSE.

Primicerius

Just sayin'. He did ask, though.

The question was more which factions he'd played as. If he was playing factions who were next to the Seleucids, the AI behavior might change. Since not, he's either got an odd version of the mod, or some interesting random numbers.

another question is why don't legionaries have tesuedo formation?
    is it because it was not a tactic that was used in early Rome?

DraeKlae's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperterran View Post
    another question is why don't legionaries have tesuedo formation?
    is it because it was not a tactic that was used in early Rome?
    No, only after the Marian reforms Roma started to use testudo. In pre-Marian Roma, the manipular formation was used, created by Camillus.

do you guys use armies made up of only auxillias? and how do you compose your armies to be cheap and effective?

now that I've conquered all of Gaul, I'm beginning to field some gallic army to defend the northeast against gauls and germans.
    my composition would be 2 equites consularies, 8 gallic swordsmen, 4 gallic slingers, and 4 gallic light calvary.
    however, these units are too weak against the might of veneti warriors, chosen spearmen, and just warbands etc.
    should i be using gallic warbands for the numbers?

Eat Meat Whale Meat

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperterran View Post
    do you guys use armies made up of only auxillias? and how do you compose your armies to be cheap and effective?

now that I've conquered all of Gaul, I'm beginning to field some gallic army to defend the northeast against gauls and germans.
    my composition would be 2 equites consularies, 8 gallic swordsmen, 4 gallic slingers, and 4 gallic light calvary.
    however, these units are too weak against the might of veneti warriors, chosen spearmen, and just warbands etc.
    should i be using gallic warbands for the numbers?
    Javelinmen are the key. At a pinch, velites and scutarii falcata skirmishers can hold a line for a while, while their 6 javelins do a tasty job of wearing down the enemy, but their low defence means they'll need a lot of replenishing, and thus they're not practical for linework far from their homelands where they can be retrained. Samnite light infantry and thureophoroi can hold a line for a fair while, and with 4 and 6 javelins respectively, they can be even more devastating than Roman infantry. Thureophoroi especially can be trained everywhere, or at least within practical range of all battlegrounds until the very late game. Then of course there's the Thracian infantry, who are excellent infantry in their own right, even before one factors in their 6 javelins. A line of them plus a few archers to take care of enemy skirmishers, and you can take on the world.

man... wut happened to valour and zeal and hand to hand combat?

but yah, i'm currently waging war against carthage and the berber javelinmen are incredibly owning my legionaries
    i tried to mass some calvary but their javelins makes them mincemeat or rout them =\

Berber javelinmen have no armor and no shield (although in some versions they may have a small shield, I'm playing 3.4) and thus are very vulnerable to slingers/archers. I'm using at least 4 funditores per Roman army, except in the north where I'm mixing in gallic slingers. I try to concentrate fire on one unit at a time before they switch to loose formation. In loose formation, the berber javelinmen are more vulnerable to melee units.

Gallic warbands are much better than gallic swordsmen. I don't know if any particular army is cost effective against the Germans or Britons, though.
    Last edited by hungry; May 09, 2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos

the thing is that AI carthage pretty much masses berber javelinmen =\
    thats 16-18 berbers in one army. I'm currently using LARGE unit numbers so the berbers amount to 120 per cohort.
    even if i have 8 skimishers which is 80 per cohort, it simply is not a match. and berbers run when i try to go melee

but anyways, I've resolved to giving legionaries tesuedo formation so that their javelins won't devastate my legionarries, skirmishers and archers and then I go melee once they used up all their javelins =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast