Thread: Cavalry Flank attacks even more devastating?

Default Cavalry Flank attacks even more devastating?

Already before 1.3 I thought this was turning into R:TW where 2 cavalry units can just mow down any unit in the game because as soon as the flank charge hits its instant rout.

Now the vanilla system was just appaling, but I already thought flank charges in Darth are powerful enough...for one, you can abuse the system by charging a unit, breaking their formation then telling your cavalry to 'surround' the unit by telling them to disengage, to which the presence of many cavalrymen all over the formation somehow triggers a 'surrounded' morale decrement and instantly rout the unit, no matter how many units are close by.

I guess it could be fixed by increasing the morale bonus of nearby units and of withdrawing enemy units, but the main point here is that cavalry is kinda too powerful. For one, a cavalry charge, even with regiment of horse, instantly breaks down an infantry square (or atleast in 1.1, have not tried 1.2).

Xelathur's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Cavalry Flank attacks even more devastating?

I think the cavalry balance regarding flank attacks is somewhat close to what I want right now, especially with dm 1.3

However, the AI isn't so quick to respond to flanking cavalry, and the outcome is often that the flanked units rout, get gibbed 30% , and the cavalry is free to flank the next troops in the massive "Oh hello we stand here in a line without rear support and flanks covered" AI tactic that he uses in 99% of every fight. 2 Cav = 6 infantry when fighting the AI, atleast for me.

What do other people think about the increased lethality of flanking cav?

oh and btw, my first post here! Hello everyone

I tend to send 2 Regiments of Horses to each corner of the opposing sides of the Battlefield.....1. BAI doesn't defend its Arty at all (dumb), 2. BAI always loses its Cavalry in a futile attempt to flank my Arty (I defend it with 1 Grenadier Unit + have always spare Cav (Regiment Horses or Light Dragoons a little behind them), 3. My Cav in the corners goes on easy pickings.....start with Arty, work my way through to the front lines (back of the enemy)....all I have to do is to keep the enemy occupied with my 2-4 line inf in front....and the battle is won...also I tend to bring at least 2-4 Arty....that does a good job at dispersing the big huddle of Inf that the BAI tends to do.....CAVALRY is one of the best units for now...

Although I had a strange fight today....I sent 2 Cav agains 1 112 Bowman army of Natives (no exp)...had no time to play so I autoresolved.....to my surprise....my 2 Cav got almost vanquished....they lost not 1 MEN...what the hell....if I had played the battle....the Natives would have been PAWNED.....what is up with the Auto Resolve???

The problem is obviously not with the power of flanking cavalry charges, but with the AI's failure to respond to the threat properly. There's plenty of historical evidence that if an infantry unit gets caught in the open from flank or behind and has not formed square, it should rout pretty much straight away. There seems little logic in when the AI forms square - it should do so as soon as it is in a cavalry unit's threat zone, unless the threat is to its front, has secure flanks and is in a position to deliver fire. And it's response should be to have cavalry in support of the infantry, which perhaps it might if it didn't throw its cav away in rash and self-destructive charges it can't win.

Right now the AI forms square now and again, usually when I have a depleted cavalry unit that isn't even facing it...I'd love to be able to pin infantry with cav by forcing it into square, then, because charging a square should be near-suicidal, bringing up arty (if the arty would ever respond to orders to limber up for movement) or infantry in line to hammer the square.

Quote Originally Posted by kirroyale View Post
    The problem is obviously not with the power of flanking cavalry charges, but with the AI's failure to respond to the threat properly. There's plenty of historical evidence that if an infantry unit gets caught in the open from flank or behind and has not formed square, it should rout pretty much straight away. There seems little logic in when the AI forms square - it should do so as soon as it is in a cavalry unit's threat zone, unless the threat is to its front, has secure flanks and is in a position to deliver fire. And it's response should be to have cavalry in support of the infantry, which perhaps it might if it didn't throw its cav away in rash and self-destructive charges it can't win.

Right now the AI forms square now and again, usually when I have a depleted cavalry unit that isn't even facing it...I'd love to be able to pin infantry with cav by forcing it into square, then, because charging a square should be near-suicidal, bringing up arty (if the arty would ever respond to orders to limber up for movement) or infantry in line to hammer the square.
    The British Line at Albuera, 1811 didn't rout when caught in line at the flanks by Polish Lancers. Though they were slaughtered pretty much xD

And no, Darth's changes are way too much. This is what happened:

L G L

L= light infantry
    G = grenadiers

I charged the 2 light infantry with my 2 uhlans. Lo and behold, the grenadiers started routing because of "exposed flanks" even though they had yet to lose a single man...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius_Brutii View Post
    The British Line at Albuera, 1811 didn't rout when caught in line at the flanks by Polish Lancers. Though they were slaughtered pretty much xD

And no, Darth's changes are way too much. This is what happened:

L G L

L= light infantry
    G = grenadiers

I charged the 2 light infantry with my 2 uhlans. Lo and behold, the grenadiers started routing because of "exposed flanks" even though they had yet to lose a single man...
    The example of Albuera kind of makes my point - it was cause for comment and the source of fame and pride to a unit that it didn't rout; staying put and taking the casualties is highly unusual.

Fair enough, but there is still no reason for a unit of grenadiers to rout just because their sides are itching...