Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Quetz’s skinning tricks n tips.

Default Re: Quetz’s skinning tricks n tips.

Lithunwrap didn't work for me - didn't get it at all

I'd advise to unwrap in 3DsMax or perhaps blender

Here’s some stuff I made from photos that you may find useful…
    this

Makes…

The leather texture top left [below], I often use to overlay shields, I clone it onto the shield at 90% transparency so it copies onto the shield very faintly, then I go over the parts where I want there to be a scar or tear until the tears are as pronounced as I want.

These images are made entirely from a collage of photos! The armour is roughly copied from images from armoury sites, then I go over it with a metal texture and add lighting etc. the skirt is from a clothes shop, the accessories also copied from armoury sites. It usually requires a lot of turning of the imagery and copying buttons one by one onto a leather strap, which you can find at leather shops online.
    This should give you a good idea how to do this particular craft, basically copy bits from photos to get the effect you want.

By visiting re-enactment sites, you can find shields more or less ready made, usually they are not perfect circles, so it is best to make a base then clone the central image over onto that.

Last edited by Amorphos; August 04, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Here are some useful shield bases, you can use these to overlay a worn look, the trick is to increase the contrast and darken the image massively. Then when you clone them over the details [scars etc] cover the shield you want to make look war-torn, but without going over the detail you want to keep!

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Here’s how to age your units, you can do the same with scenery and buildings too.

note; obviously you can vary this to your own taste.

First you need a grey colour, what I use is this [below] as it is very colour neutral but has some colour, hence it greys an image in a different way to simply greyscaling [turning it towards black and white] the hue.

R; 44
    G; 40
    B; 34

Now select flood fill, and set it to 60% transparency. Most importantly select ‘colour’ and not hue or anything else as your brush format. Colour, doesn’t change any of the detail on the image.
    Once done your image will now look like it has had a lot of colour stripped out of it, and is nearer to black and white than before.

Now you can add 5 points more contrast and 3 points darken, where if you done this before the colours would glow really bright and look terrible. What this does is adds depth to the image, but even better, when you see it in game you will notice just how much more metallic the armour looks, the clothes will be faded and the whole thing will be far more realistic.

Last edited by Amorphos; August 04, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Nice stuff quetzbaby

Thanks kb

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

This is excellent stuff thanks!

Glad to help mate. My goal is to make it look like there are people standing right there on the battlefield in game. I think with m2tw this can be fully realised.

I would efinetly agree although the hardest part is getting the UV map to evenly align all of the texture, it looks wierd if it doesn't.

I would definetly agree although the hardest part is getting the UV map to evenly align all of the texture, it looks wierd if it doesn't.
    Ya CA had a few black lines here n there where the mapping wasn’t right [e.g. Egyptians in rtw], I don’t know a lot about the modelling side of things though.

If you wan't I can give you an overview of it

Thanks, but modelling isn’t my forte, I prefer to work with modellers [when I can bag one lols] so it halves the workload, sometimes it is better not to be a jack of all trades eh! that way i have been able to hone my trade to perfection [2Dart]

Very true well your work does look great! Just wondering do you have a specific texture site (i know about the list but it doesn't cover my needs lol) you use?

Thank you! I have many megs of images on my pc and have spent literally hundreds of hours finding stuff from the most obscure sites. I go to movie props sites, flickr and generally do google image searches, so if there is anything you need from wall textures, armour, and faces to shields etc or anything then I can probably help.
    In fact if you need anything done for a model I got a bit of free time at the moment.

thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. Just some for warning lol.

Haha no problem mate, if you need anything jus let me know.

G’night

Q,

is there any way you can replace your images lost from the 1st few pages of the thread?

Sorry I had a clear out of images in my account, because I can only use limited bandwidth. There are newer images I posted [Updated on post #118 page 6], if there is any specific info you need feel free to ask.

use tinypic to upload individual pic sand not have to worry about bandwidth. it was really the images at the beginning of the tutorial that would help

Thanks for the info, well if there is a specific area you need info on e.g. faces, then I could make you another image to show how it goes.