Thread: [ETW AAR] Dear Mr. President... (USA)

Default [ETW AAR] Dear Mr. President... (USA)

USA, late game mod + 8 turns per year.
    (I don't plan to write a novel-like story like most people, just sharing my experience and plan to update this thread)

The year is 1808. The United States has established itself as a growing power in the world though it remains timid and satisfied with its homeland. For the past twenty years the US has dedicated its war effort to eradicating the inland native threat, staying on good terms with the neighboring British regions, and becoming extremely close allies with the French.

The USA's largest enemies have been no problem to wage war and take land from. These are Spain and the United Provinces. Spain, having been battered by the French, and the United Provinces, having been battered by the British, have become easy pickings for the USA's somewhat mild army and Navy.
    The inland natives, Spain, and United Provinces have been completely eradicated from the American theatre. Soon after these achievements the President issued an order to American forces to travel to the European theatre and use their discretion in eliminating the last Spanish and last United Provinces region.

With the French ally pounding the Spanish's last stand stronghold the USA's sends its largest and most experienced army to the Dutch's last region, just south of Great Britain.
    When the Americans landed they were faced with four full armies of Dutch raining down on them. Battle after battle ensued and forces began to dwindle on each side. Rare times occurred when troops were able to be replenished, only to lead to more death and more battles soon afterward. It became clear the highly trained troops were turning into green and inexperienced troops over time and the power of the army was becoming lost. Against all hope the Americans boarded their nearest fleet and returned home feeling defeated.

General Bartholemew, the sixty-eight year old general that has lead the USA across its own theatre and had given his best effort in defeating the Dutch in Europe, recognized a more focused effort and plan would be needed if America is to expand.

A letter arrived in Pennsylvania from the American stronghold in Trinidad & Tobago where General Bartholemew has retrained his troops.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Dear Mr. President,

I regret to inform you that my army, now replenished with men and supplies, will not be traveling to Europe to directly engage the Dutch stronghold. After careful review of the situation it has become evident that we will face the same fight we faced before but with less experienced troops. I fear the outcome would most definitely not end well. All may be lost at that point.

My recommendation is that we pursue a more focused and structured plan to achieve the eradication of our enemies. We must establish a stronghold of some sort on European soil where we can build armies, repair our skirmishing navies, and begin planting our way of life into the population. The process will be slow and methodical but the outcome will be certain.
    The time has come to change the course of this fight.

Sincerely, General Bartholemew

Soon after a letter began arriving at all military forts, shipyards and cities and towns - from the President himself.

To all American forces, commanders, generals, navies and the likes,

I thank you for your constant dedication to the pursuit of excellence for the United States of America. What you have achieved at home and in neighboring regions has been flawless, productive and cannot be summed up in words. From a confused thirteen colonies we have risen against oppression, taxation and aggression to be born into a true world superpower.

We have surpassed the country that gave birth to us is just a few mere decades.

As you know, we have sent our most talented forces to Europe to grab the riches we feel is ours from our Dutch counterparts, and as you know the fight fell short and we have been forced to rethink our strategy.

We want not only what is best for our military and for our government but also for the people within this great nation. Imagine a world where the soil you stand on is not your last stand nor your last hope. A world where you can travel and see what you wish without ever leaving your homeland. Cross the great Atlantic only to end up stepping foot onto your own soil on the other side, safe from ridicule, personal harm, financial manipulation, and the confusion that every foreigner experiences when leaving what is most familiar to them. Imagine visiting beautiful Jerusalem, or the majestic pyramids, or relaxing on the Italian coast without ever wondering how to behave in the strange surroundings normally found there. A world where you wave the American flag not to boast what you love but to show that you belong, no matter where that may be.

If we are to achieve a safe and comfortable way of life for ourselves and for our children then the path starts small and starts slow but I promise you, from a fellow American, tradition and history only run so deep, but greatness - what we have achieved - can run much further than the eye could ever see.
    After careful review with my advisors and generals I am pleased to inform you that within several months we will join the war our French ally's have been fighting with their neighboring enemy Morocco. After decades of being weakened by our European brothers the Moroccan regions now present the best chance for our nation to establish its first hold on the North African, Middle East and European lands. Let our first stepping stone lead to a path of stones that may extend across the entire world. Never forget the peaceful world at the end of that path.

We have always referred to Morocco as the "Gateway to the East" as it sits on the inlet into the Mediterranean. We will soon find out if that saying holds true.

For peace, safety, comfort and a way of life our parents could only dream of. God speed, and good luck.

Your fellow American, the President.

And so the heaviest Navies began sailing from American ports within weeks and onboard were some of the greenest armies the USA could muster up. Young men, or even boys, joining up to pursue the dream of peace and harmony across what has become a violent and confusing planet.

They are not all green, however, as General Bartholemew and his full and experienced army boards the USS Independence 3rd rate, USS Iris 2nd rate and the USS Discovery Steamship out of Trinidad & Tobago and headed towards Europe. Protected by a full Navy of 3rd rates and 24-pounder frigates, and trailed by three heavy first rates, Bartholemew's army arrived on the shores of the Moroccan owned region that guards the inlet to the Mediterranean sea.

And so the battle begins.

Last edited by ohnoesaz; April 18, 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: forgot title
    e8400 @ 3.6ghz
    asus P45 mobo (March '09 BIOS)
    4gb (2x2) 1066 Corsair RAM
    Sapphire 4870X2 (9.2 drivers)
    Creative X-fi xtreme Audio, always latest drivers
    2 x 250GB Seagate 7200, no raid
    Corsair 850W PSU
    Vista64 Business (Besides drivers, only ETW and Steam installed)

Mr Roet's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [ETW AAR] Dear Mr. President... (USA)

Looks interesting. I should do the RtI as well, so I don't have to spend ages to develop technologies, when I want to start a new campaign.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Looks really interesting.

Interesting but needs pics IMHO.

Keep up the good work!

Mr President,

Our initial deployment in Morocco was met with harsh resistance. We faced three waves of armies before finally being able to retreat towards the south. Here we have replenished our armies and again have attempted to move north.

We have found over the months that we are meeting constant and large resistance. While we have been successful time after time it has become imperative that we dig in with forts and slowly fight our way towards our goal. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for these delays.

As I end this letter I can hear the cannons on the walls above are beginning to shatter the morning air. I can only guess how large and formidable this next wave will be.

Like you said Mr President, the day will come that we wave the stars and stripes not to show who we are but to show we belong - no matter where we are in the world.

I hear musket fire, I must join my men.

Yours truly, General Bartholemew.
    e8400 @ 3.6ghz
    asus P45 mobo (March '09 BIOS)
    4gb (2x2) 1066 Corsair RAM
    Sapphire 4870X2 (9.2 drivers)
    Creative X-fi xtreme Audio, always latest drivers
    2 x 250GB Seagate 7200, no raid
    Corsair 850W PSU
    Vista64 Business (Besides drivers, only ETW and Steam installed)

This is intriguing. What are your victory conditions with this mod?
    An E:TW AAR on the American Revolution: The Long March of Liberty