Thread: Campaign Naval AI

Default Campaign Naval AI

I havnt tried any mods yet, but i want to start a new Campaign with ofc the UP with one.
    For me one big buypoint for for this game was UP+Naval warfare.

I can read many things on how naval battle AI/Realism was improved but i have yet to find on how the AI does on the campaign map using IS.
    Even in my N/N vanilla campaign i had a rough start but soon i was master of the sea and with a fleet of 6x2nd and 5x3rd i wipe out complete navies at a time only to see the AI does not learn and keeps making sloops brigs and galleys. The biggest enemy ship i encounterd was a 3rd rate.

I will keep my options open so ill ask on the IDartMod forum as well, i want a real naval challenge on the campaignmap.
    Grtz Sebas[NL]

Default Re: Campaign Naval AI

Of course this mod has not fixed the terrible bugs, your trade fleets won't get attacked, there are no naval invasions, but no modder can change that at this point.

On the bright side though, the basic principle of this mod is to make the AI more focussed on economy, this also shows in the naval Campaign AI. Blockading ports is a much larger priority for the AI now.
    In one of my first campaign playing the UP, i nearly got bankrupt when a swedish fleet blockaded my only port in rotterdam for several turns and i had no Fleet to speak of. Only thing saving me was the british fleet in their Harbor which i could draw into that conflict. They got destroyed by the swedes though, but they lifted the blockade and i could build my own navy.

I understand about game limitations for now.
    But has IS been able to straigthen AI build priority?
    If i wipe his sloop/6th fleet will he come at me with 4th/3rd the next time ?
    Grtz Sebas[NL]

if he can afford it and has the techs, yes, the problem is the 2nd condition, the AI is generally very bad at researching.
    for a 6th rate, you do not need anything researched, but anything higher requires technologies down that line.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Because of their economic improvements, they should be able to afford too.
    Make sure they have the right techs though! Modders can't make the AI smart yet.
    (If they are being more dumb than usual about researching, you can always give them the right techs a few turns before the war starts to make it interesting.... )

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

One big problem is that the AI often builds whatever is cheapest and quickest, meaning they will most likely build naval hospitals over dry docks because it is available sooner and also cheaper. That is if they don't build fisheries because they are the cheapest. Same thing is happening in the towns too, the AI often builds coaching houses because they are only 500 a piece. A simple fix would be to adjust the building prices to acquire the desired affects. i.e. make non economic and non military buildings more expensive, even slightly. This should result in more economic and military buildings being built by the AI which should equal better units and more of them (speculation). Each nation should only have a few non economic buildings imo, anything more is a waste of potential income and space. That's the way I play.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 19, 2009 at 05:19 AM.