Thread: Naval Campaign AI

Default Naval Campaign AI

I havnt tried any mods yet, but i want to start a new Campaign with ofc the UP with one.
    For me one big buypoint for for this game was UP+Naval warfare.

I can read many things on how naval battle AI/Realism was improved but i have yet to find on how the AI does on the campaign map using Darthmod.
    Even in my N/N vanilla campaign i had a rough start but soon i was master of the sea and with a fleet of 6x2nd and 5x3rd i wipe out complete navies at a time only to see the AI does not learn and keeps making sloops brigs and galleys. The biggest enemy ship i encounterd was a 3rd rate.

I will keep my options open so ill ask on the IS forum as well, i want a real naval challenge on the campaignmap.
    Grtz Sebas[NL]

Default Re: Naval Campaign AI

it is much improved in darthmod but it is only the reall big super-powers that build significantly large fleets - GB, Spain, France.. evrerybody else tends to still make fleets-of-traders and smaller-ship fleets.

As you progress in tiem though the AI does make a lot more of the larger ships, but you usually get a period from about 20/30 turns to around 80 turns where you will almost always dominate the seas in totality... what look like big AI fleets are usually just small ships and trade ships still.

I think we need to wait for a core AI fix from CA until this can be fully remedied - but Darthmod is a significant improvement.

There are still issues of heavy piracy that goes unchecked, and the fact that there is little amphibious warfare....I don't think I've seen an enemy ship with soldiers on it yet.

I haven't played many naval battles yet but I did have a question: If I have soldiers in my fleet, will they help out during naval battles?

I find it still a bit disappointing when I attack a large enemy fleet, and 3/4 enemy ships are Indianmen. Better yet, when enemy fleets attack me, in non trade zones, and you see the same numbers of traders in their "battle fleet".

Quote Originally Posted by illenvillen23 View Post
    There are still issues of heavy piracy that goes unchecked, and the fact that there is little amphibious warfare....I don't think I've seen an enemy ship with soldiers on it yet.

I haven't played many naval battles yet but I did have a question: If I have soldiers in my fleet, will they help out during naval battles?
    The AI cannot transport troops by ship, so you wont see any amphibious warfare until this is fixed by patch by CA.

No, to your 2nd question.

Re Piracy - the code gives the Pirate faction a far higher chance to capture ships, in the first few turns this usually results in the entire AI-faction navies in areas such as the Carib to be largely captured or sunk.

this results in a mega-pirate-fleet-of-doom that then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as it keeps capturing more and more AI-faction ships.

So unless the priate fleets are found and destroyed early on there is a tendency for them to get quite big. At the same time, however, the AI faction all attack the priates, so in theory their rate of loss should be high as they dont often get the chance to repair in-dock - so whilst they often have a lot of ships they are usually under-gunned and under-crewed.

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

The Spanish where really the only threat at sea in my last GB short campaign on Darth mod. They had a full stack of galleons patroling around the oceans.
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark