Thread: The Doctors and Diseases thread

Icon8 The Doctors and Diseases thread

Are we in some kind of Totalitarian regime here, or something?

It was a perfectly legitimate thread, so far as I can see, I have no idea why it was locked.

The Plague (i.e. The Black Death) flared up on multiple occasions in the 18th Century, most notably during the Great Plague of Marseille in 1720-22.

And that's in Europe. I should imagine if it hit India it would have hung around for a lot longer.

So not even getting onto Influenza, Smallpox, possibly Cholera.

Then getting onto Scurvy (which is touched upon in-game, but could easily be expanded into a far more in-depth version), which is vital to the time.

I think people need to take more time to appreciate what someone's trying to say, rather than be so dismissive.

Praepositus

Default Re: The Doctors and Diseases thread

thanks for the revive, but this is probably gonna get locked soon too. I don't even know how to make a mod myself, so I wanted to see if others would be interested (apparently not, either that or I messed up when I made a thread that made it bad)

Killian's Avatar Civis

i actually think this is a good idea,I can't believe it was locked there was nothing wrong with it.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Unquestionably, modders need to explore the possibilities of disease in-game in greater ways than we have before. For example, the Anglo-American expedition to besiege Cartagena in the mid-1700s was nearly wiped out by a mix of tropical diseases. So, we need to see what can be done.
    As for a whole mod about disease, I'm not sure that belongs in the TW community.
    Son of PW

Praepositus

Yeah, and I really wish I knew how to make a mod mod or I had a friend who knew how to make one

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Ha, how was scurvy represented in Empire?
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Praepositus

OH, and another good idea to add to a mod. If your crew on a ship gets scurvy, the ship is less likely to perform well, so if you bring a doctor aboard a fleet, it could help keep the crew healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    Ha, how was scurvy represented in Empire?
    Same way slavery was. By making a technology that get's rid of it, even though it did not apperently exist beforehand.
    "And when I danced I danced alone;
    But then I did not dance because I was alone;
    So I did not dance"- Bill Bailey

Praepositus

so, yeah, well I thought it was a pretty good idea....

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

It was locked because AmAz started the exact same thread yesterday with a thread title that was two lines long, and then started the second one which was basically exactly the same as the first. Both asked a question to start a mod 'if it isn't already in the game anyway'. It is hardly a legitmate mod idea, there are far too many stupid threads started here and it is obvious the threadstarters have no interest in starting an actual mod, they have no skills and have given the whole thing about as much thought as it took to write the two lines in the original post. 'I have an idea for a mod based on tangerines, I can't mod though, so... I dunno, well what do you think.' What a contribution!

Well, I've seen plenty of threads on these forums of significantly less value which have gotten along just fine without being locked.

I personally think this is a good idea, so if I do, maybe someone with better modding skills than myself who also thinks it's a good idea could figure out a way to implement this in-game.
    So long as it was fairly subtle, it could easily have a place. There was Plague in Medieval 2, after all. It's hardly a radical concept.

EDIT: Yes, but the first one was locked, apparently, because the title was too long (which is fair enough if that's against the rules in some way), so he created the second thread, with a nice short title, which ended up getting locked anyway. Highly unfair, in my opinion.
    Last edited by KindredBrujah; April 16, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Additions

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

I will be working on adding at least smallpox to the game.

It may affect recruitment, and population but will definately strike armies in the field and reduce their strength.

It's some time in the future considering the amount of work I have ahead of it, but keep an eye out, I'll let everyone know if and when I get it to work!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I will be working on adding at least smallpox to the game.
    Haha! If that's not vindication that Am.Az's idea was worth posting here, I don't know what is. Thanks LeetLamer, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Will that be being implemented into APE, rather than as a standalone, presumably?

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by KindredBrujah View Post
    Haha! If that's not vindication that Am.Az's idea was worth posting here, I don't know what is. Thanks LeetLamer, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Will that be being implemented into APE, rather than as a standalone, presumably?
    Yeah, I will be adding it into APE, but I make as much of APE modular as possible, so it may be available in a standalone mod.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

"As for a whole mod about disease, I'm not sure that belongs in the TW community."

Is this humor? humour? We are here discussing our mutual interest in a game based on global military domination, in which thousands of men are butchered on our whims in beautiful detail, and you think that it may be immoral to add 18th century epidemiology to the game?

Praepositus

If someone does make a mod though, plz tell me the link to where to find it. I think the smallpox thing is a good idea, but what about for ships it should be scurvy?

Praepositus

and there should be something to show that troops or ship crews or the population are strucken with a disease...

-- And I don't think we need a doctor agent, just a gentleman to research new technology to treat diseases --
    Last edited by Amaz; April 16, 2009 at 09:09 PM.