Thread: DarthMod FPS Center - For all your performance queries

Default DarthMod FPS Center - For all your performance queries

DARTHMOD FPS CENTER

EDIT - NO LONGER JUST FOR STRESS TESTING, GIVE US YOUR FPS QUERIES AND WOES

1. Introduction

Hey guys, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see just how well your computers' can handle spec demanding scenarios regarding DarthMod.

Darth himself has praised the craziness of people when he released v1.0 of the Commander Edition. We were soon all swamped by screenshots of people playing 10000 troop battles.

Before I start, I'd like to list out my computer specs:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz O/C 4.2Ghz
    • 4GB DDR3 Kingston RAM
    • 512MB ATI HD4850
    • Win XP
    • 22" BenQ LCD Monitor

The idea is to see how performance can be optimized regarding to a broad range of computer specifications. I've floated around the FPS threads here, and I'd like to classify computer specifications as such.

THIS ONLY APPLIES FOR IN BATTLE WITH ABOUT 5-9k SOLDIERS, WHICH IS NOT STRESSING DARTHMOD AS SUCH.

1. Low specification - borderline playable with Commander Edition (CE) on normal settings
    2. Med specification - smooth while playing CE on normal to med settings
    3. High specification - smooth playing CE on med to high settings
    4. Insane specification - smooth playing CE on high to ultra settings

(Note - I would classify my computer as a relatively...medium high spec computer.)

2. The Mad Idea

From time to time, I'll attempt to play insane battles with a realistic number of troops. The theoretical limit of 10000 troops broken, I'll attempt to do battles of about 9000-25000 troops. I'll take and post both replays and screenshots of these.

I'll then post my graphical settings that I used for the battle in-game, and using FRAPs, record the max FPS that I achieved once the battle started and the min FPS.

In most games, 30FPS is the bare minimum for some people, but I think ETW battles, although real time, could be played at 10-25 FPS. Lower than that is....well, bad, to say the least.

I'll then go through the replay with lowered settings, and record the max and min FPS for that.

What I want to aim for is a maximum minimum FPS of 10 regardless of the situation. In other words, the bottleneck FPS on higher settings can be increased to playable.

3. How can you serve the madness?

Obviously, the idea is for you guys to play the battle replay, and see what settings can get you down to the playable 10 FPS DURING A PREVIOUS BOTTLENECK. Post your specs, and the settings that worked well. Of course, results will differ, but at some point, I'd like to be able to post settings up based on an average according to the spec types as stated above.

Oh, and don't be limited to just using my replays! Post your own bottleneck replays, and the whole community can go tweaking. (I know I will be.) Besides, battle strategies can also be analyzed (there's a thought) since they are replays :p

- Instructions for posting

• List your computer specs
    • Classify your computer
    • Follow Points 2&3 :-)

4. Anything else?

Even if you're just viewing the thread, feel free to post whatever you like - SCREENSHOTS are good :p

The Replays

To view the replays:

1. Find x:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\replays, where x denominates the drive where Windows is installed.

2. Extract the replay into this folder.

3. Fire up Empire Darthmod, and go into Multiplayer ----> Local Area Network (or Total War Online)

4. There will be a button at the bottom right that says 'View Replays.'

5. Click this, and load up the replay.

To save your own replays

At the end of a battle, where it says 'Close Victory, Herioc Victory, Close Defeat' etc, there will be a film camera button on the right. Click this to save a replay.

17/04/09

I'm going to post the battle replay of the Maratha siege that I played out (thread + screenshots here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250427),

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Note - the file is called 'verydumb' for a reason ;p)
    My settings and results will be in the next post.

EDIT - Just a word on the replays : it has been noted that sometimes (probably all the time actually o.o) a replay is played differently to your own actions, so the big fat charge you see in the screenshots thread might not happen. It'll still stress ya tho :-)

EDIT EDIT - Just made a new resiege of the same situation with DM 1.2, this one was slightly better, still went to fail FPS > >

Replay 3

France vs Genoa 8-10k troops

Attachment 38649

UPDATE 19/04/09

Notes

- I noticed with DarthMod 1.0 that melee animations were cut. This resulted in more soldiers dying (and therefore) slightly more FPS.

-
    Haven't had anybody with Core i7s test this, I'd like to see their results AKA Darth :p

21/04/09

New replay up, around 9-10k troops. Lots of smoke and melees on both flanks. Rain will drop your FPS rating. Shouldn't be too bad though, give it a try :-)

Graphics Options

- It's noted that most settings are mainly cosmetic; turning shadows from ultra to off resulted in no FPS boost > >

Qs&As

- Does rain and snow affect FPS?
    ---->Depends, heavy rain can drop FPS by 5-10.

- How badly does smokemod affect FPS?
    ----> Depends on situation - if there were 2000 troops firing their muskets in line against each other, then you'd notice a hit from e.g 20FPS to 10-15FPS. Close-ups of this will affect the FPS even more.

- Which situations will hurt my FPS?
    ----> Big melees of >2000 troops will start to stress the system. Ultra melees have and will drag the FPS to around 3, REGARDLESS of whether you are zoomed in or not. Having lots of ranks fire can drag, but should still be playable. Zooming in on large numbers of corpses will also hurt.

- I still want epicness!
    ----> For the time being I play with Ultra settings, because its fun to watch. Darth has stressed himself that unit sizes can be dropped from Ultra to High (which is about a drop from 500 ---> 350 units) or Large (500 ---> 200) units. That would increase FPS greatly due to less rendering of objects.

Last edited by GuiltyBoomerang; April 20, 2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Updates!

Default Re: Stress your FPS with DarthMod!

Initial Settings:

Resolution - 1440x900

Anti Aliasing - 4x
    Filtering - Anistotropic 16x
    Other Settings - All on Ultra

Optional Tick Box Settings
    HDR - ON
    SSAO - OFF
    Hardware Shadows - ON
    Vertical Sync - OFF
    Distortion Effects - ON
    Camera Focus Effects - OFF

Initial Run

Max FPS - 25, looking at my soldiers from a wide view, along with the fort.
    Min FPS - 3, melee in the fort breach killed the frames
    Average FPS - Hard to say, since the melee went for 25 minutes....8-15?

Optimised Run

At settings 1440x900
    All settings except for unit size (ultra) AT low

Min FPS - 8 Close up Melee (bearable)
    Max FPS - 45
    Last edited by GuiltyBoomerang; April 16, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

... and I suppose that some effects, such as rain/snow/... won't help the frame rate.

Quote Originally Posted by grbo View Post
    ... and I suppose that some effects, such as rain/snow/... won't help the frame rate.
    Probably, will see....

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Haha, I remember doing this one day with RTW and M2TW, just got 8 maxed out armies lol, some epic battles

lol Interesting test...it might be better conducted if the game was coded correctly ( memory leaks, etc ) but I'll give it a go when I get home. I wonder how my 3x SLI will handle it...
    EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1 790i SLI*Q9550@3.6Ghz@1.3v(1.32v real)*6 GB OCZ Gold Triple Channel@1600 MHz, 8-8-8-24-2T@1.65v*Triple SLI GTX 280's*Zalman Reserator 1 V2*Coolmax CUQ-1200B 1200-Watt*Creative Labs X-fi Titanium*Vista Ultimate x64*2 Samsung SM T240's

Make sure you guys have defragged everything, i also noticed massive FPS drops and when i defragged everything was kinda normal (Still a bit lower than usual FPS but what else would you expect from larger armies)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz
    4GB(1x4) Kingston RAM
    GeForce 9800 GTX
    Vista 64bit
    21" 1680x1050 Acer monitor
    CreativeX-fi Titanium fatality Pro(sound card)

Texture, Particles, buildings, trees, grass and sky on High.
    Unit detail on Ultra.
    Only HDR and Distortion effects are checked.
    8xAA
    2xAnistrophic
    And at a resolution of 1680x1050 with 5.1 Discrete
    *NOTE* these are the settings I play with all the time with no problem. Ableit, I haven't played many DarthMod CO Edition battles because ETW's constant crashes have ruined my appetite allittle for playing the game. And I use the lite smoke and blood mod.

Okay so I used your replay started with 20 FPS during deployment viewing all your troops. While it was 40 FPS looking in the opposite direction.
    As soon as the deployment ended the FPS dropped to 5 witch wasn't too bad but the I zoomed into the cluster of people in the center of the fort and it dropped to 1 FPS.
    Then the actual fighting began it stayed consistantly at 2 FPS the whole time (minus when I attempted the fast forward and it went to 0 FPS). A little later on when alot of your guys started routing it picked backed up to 5 FPS but quickly went down again to 2 FPS and stayed there until the cursed thing crashed .

Summary:
    Highest FPS=40
    Average FPS=2
    Lowest FPS=0

And all of this was incredibly strenuous on my poor CPU.

This is my first post here

That is all.
    Last edited by Delta3800; April 16, 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Shader 3 High, AA 2x, Tex filter Anisotropic 2x
    Texture Quality, Particles, Unit detail, Building detail: High
    Shadows, Trees, Grass, Sky: Medium
    HRD and VSync on
    Resolution: 1680 x1050

Spec: Class 3
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB(3x2) Corsair RAM
    GeForce GTX 280
    Vista Business 64bit
    22" AOC Monitor

During your setup I started with 29 FPS, When I looked towards the "background" i got 60, while I looked at your army from the side I was at 35, and when I hit teh fastest speed it went to 20.

Once the battle started I had 10 FPS, After a little bit I picked up to 15 FPS until the battle at the wall which dropped to a steady 3 FPS

Highest: 15
    Lowest: 3
    Average: 7

Not bad, but I'm keeping my unit sizes as just large from now on.

I will run an "optimized" one at some point

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 "SLACR" 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5K mainboard
    2x1GB 1066MHz Paired Performance RAM
    nVidia 8800GTX (576MHz Core, 900MHz Memory, 768MB RAM)
    SATA-II 7200RPM hard disk
    Windows XP SP3
    Class 2 computer (Medium Spec)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    1280x960 Resolution
    All settings Ultra
    4x Antialiasing
    16x Anisotropic Filtering
    All tickboxes ticked
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

FRAPS details:
    Minimum: 0 (lawl)
    Maximum: 28 (that was looking away from the action though)
    Average: 8

That might not be totally indicative though, because I didn't spend a lot of time zoomed in on the big mêlée sections at the walls, so it would be a lot lower if I had, I suspect.

I'll try it again on all low settings and see what happens.
    Last edited by KindredBrujah; April 17, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Hey guys, I haven't been on for the last couple of days because I've been stress testing the PC. I looked at the Overclocking guides which said "if you can handle Prime95 for 24 hours, then you've got a stable overclock." I may have overdone it, but oh well....

38 hours stable with 4.2Ghz = SWEEEEEET.

I'll be posting some more replays once I've fooled around with DM 1.3.

Hi guys

Just ran test, 10000 pikemen versus 10000 pikeman, got 18fps with them marching to each other, dropped to around 5, 4 fps when in combat and zooming in.

The settings were on resolution 1650 x 1050, everything on ultra bar particle effects which were on high, 4 x AA, 16 x AS. Also volumetric effects were off.

My rig

I7 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz
    6GB 1600 Ram
    4870x2 graphics card.

One thing I did notice is that when I shut down my graphics card was only at about 65 dgress hot, this surprised me. The processor most take the majority of the strain.

Quote Originally Posted by nightplayer View Post
    Hi guys

Just ran test, 10000 pikemen versus 10000 pikeman, got 18fps with them marching to each other, dropped to around 5, 4 fps when in combat and zooming in.

The settings were on resolution 1650 x 1050, everything on ultra bar particle effects which were on high, 4 x AA, 16 x AS. Also volumetric effects were off.

My rig

I7 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz
    6GB 1600 Ram
    4870x2 graphics card.

One thing I did notice is that when I shut down my graphics card was only at about 65 dgress hot, this surprised me. The processor most take the majority of the strain.
    Yay a Core i7 user!

I would suggest turning SSAO off since shadows are good enough as they are on Ultra. Volumetric effects won't have any effect on a pure melee battle (so turning them off = good.)

What else...

You measured your GPU temp? I dunno, I set the fan speed on my 4850 to 100% and the entire rig runs below 65 degrees (GPU at 59 or so overclocked...)

That said, melees are the biggest killer of FPS at the moment :p

NEW REPLAY UPLOADED, GIVE IT A SHOT :-)

Default Re: DarthMod FPS Center - For all your performance queries

New Replay - No. 3

Initial settings: 1680x1050
    Ultra all
    AAx4, AFx16
    SSAO off

Max FPS when battle starts - 28-30
    Lowest FPS - 10 (ground view side on)
    Average - 15-20 (damn rain > < )

Hi Guilty

I will download the replay tonight and check it out, I will also get the temp settings of my CPU. Will report my findings later.

Hi Guilty

I have just tried replay 3,

Resolution - 1680 x 1050
    Ultra all
    AA x4, AF x 16
    SSAO off

Deployment phase - 40 fps
    FPS during battle varied between 20 and 60, I would say average around low 30's for the majority of the replay
    Lowest - about 19, except when in fast forward mode, its about 3fps then.

Might drop eveything to high and try it again to see it makes a huge difference.