Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create new guns and projectiles

Default How to create new guns and projectiles

I haven't seen anyone post a tutorial for this, so I'll make a short one myself from what I have found out.

1. Create a mod with the projectiles table (found in patch.pack\db\projectiles_tables_projectiles) using this tutorial here.
    2. Clone the row(s) of the projectile you wish to base your new projectile on, and change the name (first column).
    3. Fiddle around with the stats (in my mini-mod I made shotgunners, so I edited the range and the number of pellets columns). NOTE: If you want to give artillery projectiles to infantry () you need to keep the first column as missile, and also the column that says "small_arm" or "gun" as small_arm, but change the rest to be like the projectile you wish to give to your infantry.
    4. To give this to a unit, put units_stats_land in your file, and go to the 31st column - Projectile ID Ref - and change it to the name of your projectile (in my case shotgun).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voila! You have a nice new (possibly lethal and completely unfair) projectile.
    Here's one I made earlier:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I won that battle . I attached my shotgunners if anyone wants to check them out.

Two things I forgot for anyone who wants to try out the shotgunners : they are only playable as British (evven though that is really easy to change), and they won't have a screen name unless you download 'localisation.zip'.
    Last edited by Irmo; April 17, 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Default Re: How to create new guns and projectiles

Nice!

Nice tutorial indeed; i've used it on my pirate mod to make a unit of blunderbussers. Results were impressive to say the least; 40 dead accurate grapeshots at point blank range! Think i'll reduce the unit size a bit.
    Only issue was you need to change, when using artillery projectiles for infantry, the "gun" value to "small_arm" (or whatver it is, should be fairly obvious.)
    Cheers,
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan99 View Post
    Nice tutorial indeed; i've used it on my pirate mod to make a unit of blunderbussers. Results were impressive to say the least; 40 dead accurate grapeshots at point blank range! Think i'll reduce the unit size a bit.
    Only issue was you need to change, when using artillery projectiles for infantry, the "gun" value to "small_arm" (or whatver it is, should be fairly obvious.)
    Cheers,
    -Matt
    Yeah, it's really fun giving infantry artillery shots. When I was trying this out I gave my line infantry percussive shells as well (and I think it was the quickist battle I ever played).

I'm not sure that you need to keep it as small_arm. I think as long as you keep the first value as missile, it should work. I will add it nonetheless.

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

Attachment 38355

Okay here's the file

Your problem was that you didn't fill in four necessary columns - the 5th, the 7th, the 3rd last and the last.

I have uploaded an updated file, with these values filled, which works on my computer and should hopefully work on yours .

I can't seem to get the puckle guns to work properly on infantry - they all shoot a single shot then reload. Do you have a workaround for this?

Just bring the base reload time of your gun down to 1, this should mean they reload quickly enough so that it looks fairly 'machine gunnish'.

Apart from that, the puckle gun doesn't seem to have anything very different from the normal muskets

Mr Tom's Avatar Decanus

I should have looked closer before asking if I could make explosive shells for ships ay? :p

For infantry just give them an air gun its horrendous if you give em enough ammo.

I am rather curious as to how to mod the shot used for shiips though.

As in say I wanted to make a Steamship that fires explosive shells rather than round shot.
    Last edited by Mr Tom; April 18, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Nice mod. I'm tearing into the artillery units and projectiles database to come up with some artillery for an American Civil War mod at the moment, and artillery units are definitely fun to edit and play around with.

Slightly off-topic, but have you figured out the rhyme or reason for where the "firepower" rating comes from on the artillery units description? It's clearly not a field that can be edited, it appears to be some combination of other fields. Any idea?

On the projectiles table, because the artillery names, but rather the different shots (ie. 12lb canister shot) are given, there is no 'firepower' column because they couldn't give more than one firepower to the same artillery (which each has about five shots). However, the firepower is easy to change . Look for the row that says your_gun_name_shot (ie. cannon_12_pounder_shot), go oer to the 'damage' column, and the number there is the firepower for the gun - 27 for 12lb, 42 for 24lb and 70 for 64lb.

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

How to change kinds of ammunition for artillery, for example I want make cannister and shrapnel usable for howitzer.

You can't give them all 5 (not enough room on the abilities panel).

Howeer, if you want to change quicklime, round or explosive to canister or shrapnel, go to db\guns_type_to_projectiles_tables\guns_type_to_projectiles, find your howitzer (24 or 12lb), and change one of the shots under the 'projectile ID ref' column to a canister or shrapnel shot. (It is much easier than it sounds - it is also pretty self explanatory if you know to look under gun_types_to_projectiles).

Great. I found this for myself without even looking at the post

Oh well. at least my Volley gun is effective. Now to make the model. NEXT!!

Good work, pity I didn't see it when I needed it

ALSO DEVELOPERS CAMERA

Pessimism is a term used by Optimists, to attempt to discredit those who see the world as it really is!

can you help me im making a ship that fires arrows but it hasn't worked (no cannons) can u put a tutorial for making naval projectiles and placing them on ships thanks

Not sure you really can, yet. The most you can do is take away a ship's guns (although when you do this, they take a morale hit in battles. i.e. they enter the battle thinking they're already damaged) and let the marines fire arrows, although I'm not sure how you'd get a marine to fire arrows without making all marines on every ship fire arrows.

oh well thanks anyway

One dodgy way to do it would simply to be change the projectiles of a cannon and change them to that of an arrow. worth a laugh. There we go back 300 years of technology from firing metal back to wooden sticks again!

ALSO DEVELOPERS CAMERA

Pessimism is a term used by Optimists, to attempt to discredit those who see the world as it really is!

Quote Originally Posted by 16sh4a View Post
    can you help me im making a ship that fires arrows but it hasn't worked (no cannons) can u put a tutorial for making naval projectiles and placing them on ships thanks
    You can change in gun_type_to_projectiles_tables one of the 'Projectile ID Refs' for the gun you want (eg. naval_12_pounder) from 'naval_12_pounder_chain' (for example) to bow - but at the moment, there is no way to create a new gun ID ref (something with the fact it needs a new model, which can't be made at the moment - I tried this out myself), which is very annoying for new ships or artillery which need to be completely different from other ones .

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

Irmo,
    thanks for the answer!
    Candidate of sociological sciences. RUSSIAN LIBERAL OPPOSITIONIST AND ACTIVIST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast