Thread: Eliminating winter??

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Eliminating winter??

Has anyone figured out how to eliminate winter from the game,as was done by several people for M2TW?as it stands there is not really any sort of tangible penalty involved with it,and operations during the winter months at this time were quiete limited,so it would be rather good to see an outright abolishment of this from the game

Default Re: Eliminating winter??

A good workaround is to mod to 3 turns per year, Winter -- Summer -- Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    A good workaround is to mod to 3 turns per year, Winter -- Summer -- Summer.

There's still no real penalty for fighting in Winter. A start would be to modify movement rates on campaign map and battle-map to lower values then increase the effects winter has on fatigue/moral. A misfire multiplier would help too. I think the weather file is locked cause I've been unsuccessful in opening it.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Besides all this: Winter battles are really ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by General A. Skywalker View Post
    Besides all this: Winter battles are really ugly!
    Yes I definitely agree

It's true that not a lot of military activity took place during winter... But it's not like states became inactive during this season. Total War isn't all about fighting wars, as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel Tuca View Post
    It's true that not a lot of military activity took place during winter... But it's not like states became inactive during this season. Total War isn't all about fighting wars, as I see it.
    indeed an excellent point,it is just that for some reason the ai becomes militarily active the most during the winter months for one reason or another,leading to a lot of snow covered actions that otherwise should not be arising,and seeing as the season makes no difference to the battle one way or another,and in fact I hazard to say the weather does not really either,these things have become simply aesthetic,and since I like the aesthetic of the warmer months better,might as well have none save for those present in the game

caldwell77's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel Tuca View Post
    Which makes normal FARM production during the winter a bit dubious wouldn't you say?

How I would love to see a true four season turn with all of the appropriate graphics, penalties, and benefits. But alas, with all that is wrong with ETW now, this is item #97 on my list of top 100 things to care about.

I agree with the above. Winter should be kept in the game, but penalties be added during this season. Lower farm production, shortened movement range, tougher for soldiers to fight in winter battles (this might already be the case, considering the Cold Resistance factor, but I haven't noticed much of any differance). Also, ATTRITION is something we need. Marching an invading army across Russia during winter should be devastating.

Napoleon marched on Moscow in Winter, I believe. Or it took him so long he had to spend some part of that march in Winter anyway.

Although, I do appreciate that's just outwith our timeframe.

Rather than eliminate Winter, I say adding penalties for trying to actually do things in Winter would be best.

Would add a new level of tactics to the campaign map: If your units moved really slowly during Winter (maybe you could lose men to hypothermia and the like also), so you would generally have your recruitment and training during Winter, then actually attack people in Summer.

Could be really cool. Don't know how implementable it would be though.

EDIT: Lol, I guess I should have read the whole thread before posting. So in other words, I agree with Caldwell and Onkel. :p

EDIT2: Oh, and this probably doesn't belong in the 'Released Mods' section of the forum.
    *clicks his fingers* "Garçon le Mod, this thread is in my soup. Please move it to the correct place."
    Last edited by KindredBrujah; April 16, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Read the whole thread first, dumbass

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Battle of Trenton...no US without winter.....splbbbt!

...and people say I whine...!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere SOG View Post
    Battle of Trenton...no US without winter.....splbbbt!

...and people say I whine...!?!
    I hardly see how the fact that it was winter during this battle decided it at all.the same suprise attack could have taken place any day of the year under any sort of festive circumstance that would have left the Hessians too drunk to properly fight....as well it merits to point that most military campaigns that have been carried out in the midst of winter for any length of time has almost always ended in disaster

...which further reinforces the point that Winter should play a part, but that part should be in timing your battles so as to avoid ever having to actually fight during Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by KindredBrujah View Post
    ...which further reinforces the point that Winter should play a part, but that part should be in timing your battles so as to avoid ever having to actually fight during Winter.
    Oh by far do not get me wrong,i would be all for winter campaigns were there actually a difference in the way they play out rather than the scenery just being a drab grey,but seeing as there is not a difference then it stands to reason that the current inclusion of shifting seasons is purely aesthetic,therefore I will choose the more pleasing of the two being the warmer climates.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    I hardly see how the fact that it was winter during this battle decided it at all.the same suprise attack could have taken place any day of the year under any sort of festive circumstance that would have left the Hessians too drunk to properly fight....as well it merits to point that most military campaigns that have been carried out in the midst of winter for any length of time has almost always ended in disaster
    It was the first major victory after the long series of defeats and represents the lengths that Americans were willing to go to win their Independence. This victory encouraged the Revolution at large, in particular the army of George Washington that was reduced to tattered rags in the previous campaign... Washington believed it was the turning point of the war. From that point on other American forces followed suit taking the Brits on on their terms instead of fighting in the truly European style. Without this victory the Revolution would have fizzled out. Washington needed a victory to show his colleagues and men that they could win. American ingenuity at its best...

Hope that answers your question...the turning point in English terms was Saratoga...but what do they know. There is a movie in the US about Trenton...but not Saratoga...Mel Gibson did that one...and horribly!

P.S. Too bad for the Hessians...LOL!
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; April 28, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

this is all well and good as far as the morale boost to the once defeated men,but this still fails to illustrate how it is that Winter played a role in any of this.The scenario that played out that morning at trenton could very well have been played out in any climate,for as far as can be seen none of the strategy was put into place due to the inclement weather or snowy conditions of the night of initial execution nor the morning where the ambush played out,therefore the arguement still stands that in its current state winter is nothing short of an eyesore in Empire and barring very few instances winter played no part in the strategy of the great captains of the past and was generally avoided as a season of large scale campaigning,and certainly not conducive to large battles being fought in scenarios where there was little guarantee hat your weapons would function correctly