Thread: Light Galleys = Fire Ships?? XD

Icon10 Light Galleys = Fire Ships?? XD

Since using Darth Mod, i have noticed smth really funny... Fighting against fleets of light galleys (minor nations spam them) became extremely fun.
    The sneaky AI, every time, uses some kinda of a suicidal/kamikadze tactics to fight against my fleets of superior ships.
    So what it does, is uses those minigalleys to swim up close to my own ships, waiting for my foolish captains to unleash a hellfire of cannonballs on them. 50% of the time, those minigalleys simply explode, and since they "park" themselves right next to my own ships, the effect is that of fire ships - they spread fire on my ships, which in a matter of minutes burn down, and explode, further spreading fire down the line formation...
    I am not sure whether that AI is intentional, or is it just me, not keeping my distance - well i tried, my the mini galleys always catch up with me)))

Anyway, did anyone else experience similar behavior? Any tips, or advice, on how to deal with those damn maniacs?
    Freedom or Death!!!

Default Re: Light Galleys = Fire Ships?? XD

I may have found the attribute which corrects this and will be used in the next version of DarthMod.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    I may have found the attribute which corrects this and will be used in the next version of DarthMod.
    U sure u wanna do that?
    This is actually a very interesting and enjoyable feature)))
    Brings a whole new level of entertainment to the mod.
    If only there could be proper fire ships in the mod, that would have been awesome).
    Freedom or Death!!!

Seen this happening so many times and I just refuse to shoot at them close range. They tend to surrender from the small arms fire at close range

At close range i treat them with canister shots they surrender immediately. Also brigs are very explosive ones i've seen more of them exploding than sinking

In one Swedish vs UP naval battle (me being UP) and I managed to with my 4th rate blow up several Indiaman trade ships.....they JUST PUFF exploded after a few broadsides....it was awesome..my best achievement was to blow up a 6th rate....lucky shot I guess.....

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Awesome, thank you.

what i do to avoid this is to force the ships to fire not in a volley, but even then there is a chance, but i find mass-volleys give a huge chance of explosion in comparison.
    so what i do is ill click the manual volley button so it goes red, then position ship and at same time, ill hold alt and right click the enemy ship, then ill push T twice, so itll take off the manual volley, and then ill keep adjusting ship so the side is on an angle, not perpendicular exactly with enemy ship or theyll jsut volley it, but if you slice in on a 50degree angle the shots go off 1-3 at a time and this just wears down the enemy slowly, reducing chances of them exploding.
    a side effect of this is against lower, speedier ships they will likely surrender due to the sustained fire. also switching to grape half way thru when the speedy ship is nice and close, on an angle, almost guarantees the enemy will at least route and attempt to flee instead of fight.

still, the key to fires guys, especially those from an explosion because you notice them faster thank keycard info, is to turn auto fire off.
    this releases men to do some firefighter work assuming theres enough men to spare.
    id like to think this works with ships taking water but ive had zero luck so far,(possibly extended life of ship a few minutes but often not long enough to survive duration of battle) whereas fighting fires with autotargeting off i get a 70% success rate.
    the 30% that dont work, are because the ship surrenders quite quickly after catching fire.
    always amusing when your 1st rate admirals ship at the tip of the formation, catches fire in the first pass and surrenders quickly due to 3 ships firing at it at once

Quote Originally Posted by Don Of Atheos View Post
    what i do to avoid this is to force the ships to fire not in a volley, but even then there is a chance, but i find mass-volleys give a huge chance of explosion in comparison.
    so what i do is ill click the manual volley button so it goes red, then position ship and at same time, ill hold alt and right click the enemy ship, then ill push T twice, so itll take off the manual volley, and then ill keep adjusting ship so the side is on an angle, not perpendicular exactly with enemy ship or theyll jsut volley it, but if you slice in on a 50degree angle the shots go off 1-3 at a time and this just wears down the enemy slowly, reducing chances of them exploding.
    a side effect of this is against lower, speedier ships they will likely surrender due to the sustained fire. also switching to grape half way thru when the speedy ship is nice and close, on an angle, almost guarantees the enemy will at least route and attempt to flee instead of fight.

still, the key to fires guys, especially those from an explosion because you notice them faster thank keycard info, is to turn auto fire off.
    this releases men to do some firefighter work assuming theres enough men to spare.
    id like to think this works with ships taking water but ive had zero luck so far,(possibly extended life of ship a few minutes but often not long enough to survive duration of battle) whereas fighting fires with autotargeting off i get a 70% success rate.
    the 30% that dont work, are because the ship surrenders quite quickly after catching fire.
    always amusing when your 1st rate admirals ship at the tip of the formation, catches fire in the first pass and surrenders quickly due to 3 ships firing at it at once
    thanks for the tip, that is damn good idea, and i didn't even know about it !

But you sure about the volley fire? I mean every time, i manually fire broadside, even though the red area is perfectly aimed at the enemy ship, not every shot hits the target, while an automatic shot, particularly when fighting in straight line formation and passing by the enemy ships, works like sniper fire, every shot hits the enemy, leading to a quick kabooom)).
    And damn, once one of the fire is ablaze, the line gets so messed up, are ships hit it, there is damn confusion every where, with my ships and minigalleys going up in fires...So much fun)

At close range i treat them with canister shots they surrender immediately. Also brigs are very explosive ones i've seen more of them exploding than sinking
    I guess this would be the best idea...+we get to capture galleys.!
    Freedom or Death!!!

Yeah I have noticed this, it's pretty cool actually. I've tried to do this myself a few times too but I haven't really succeeded yet The game should have included fire ships, they played quite an important role in naval battles.

well the reason i started doing volleys like that was because doing manual volleys meant either half the shots miss by going too high depending on the enemy ship, or the ship would just explode in a furious anger that would result on my sails catching alight, so i had to improvise and having heard about this alt-right click trick several days earlier i decided to try it out with the chainshot, and i didnt want only a small section hitting the sails due to breadth of volley, so i had them on an angle , tracking outwards to bring more guns to bear slowly, allowing a lowered but consistant and somewhat accurate (xp level permitting) firing rate.

also letting the crew do volleys on their own (lock in a manual volley then hit T , twice up close and perfectly perpendicular) will result in 95% of shots hitting due to fact that they aim the cannons up or down appropriately. whereas manual volleys they just fire straight out, not up or down.

Lone's Avatar Libertus

Has anyone ever actually managed to save a ship after the "Ship is taking water" icon is flashing? I have not. The ship always sinks within a maximum of 4-5 minutes. This is also true for surrendered ships as if they have taken too much of a beating they will probably sink. But at least Darthmod has somewhat reduced the tenderness to sink and ships don't start to take in water as easy as in vanilla, which is of course how it should be.

In my small Naval experience...the manual broadside is only useful when the ships are close together parallel aligned...other wise around 40% of the volley goes over the ship or falls short......thus I always keep FaW on.....and let the ships fire....while manuevering them around never had any of my ships so far catching fire...but a funny moment was when my 5th Admirals crossed paths with a 6th...my 5th smashed directly into the side of the 6th....they both got stucket...since my 5th tried to turn left and the 6th tried to go forward...it took me 10 minutes and half my Starboard hull to unstuck them and clear of the 6th with one decisive Broadside after which the 6th Blew up......very nicely done btw......the flying ppl and debris from the ship......I really love seing my 4th and 5th passing by Indiaman/Sloops/Brigs doing full volleys in short range.....it gives me the feeling of Pirates of the Carribean. It is too bad that most Naval battles are 5-10 ships on each side...thus no high manuevering skills neede....since 10on10 gets rather messy once the fleets clash and start to run in circles trying to hit each other....would love to see this improved in future Darthmods......giving it a real 18thC naval battle feeling....

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Note that buried in the tables is a 1.75 damage bonus for broadsides (debatable that it should exist, a morale impact would be more appropriate in my opinion)... I am not sure how it applies though if only part of the broadside hits (or even if it applies at all, it could be unused)?

I am not even sure of the AI uses Broadsides. When a target ship in along side yours and your crew fires normally it can still look an awful lot like a broadside...

For the subject of galleys, I would love to see them be turned into boarding vessels. Boost the crew numbers to make them effective. Would actually make an attack by a large number of galleys something to worry about (other than the fireship effect that is) as they can catch and outmanouver just about anything...
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; April 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

"uses some kinda of a suicidal/kamikadze tactics"

I noted that already in my first several naval engagements. My handling of this tactic is to have my own light ships such as brigs engaging at first, on which situation all enemy ships will turn and concerntrate to my light ships. Then I lined up my heavy ships to fire volleys at distance in that case my heavy ships did not need to engage in a melee manner. I noted that a few enemy galleys would always sail towards my heavy ships in attempt to "respond" the attack. But before they were able to close by my heavy ships, they were either forced to surrender or were sunk because from the moment they sailed out from their main battle formation, they attracted volley shower from my heavy ships.

But I agree with daud.fr that this is a fantastic "feature" of the game. Darth please keep it.